Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat ribbon questions

Pera.T

One of the Regulars
Buying hat ribbon?

Does anyone know of any online retailers that sell replacement hat ribbon? And ship internationally?

I want to change the ribbon on a hat of mine, but cant find anything suitable locally. I can get the thin stuff, but want something around 2" - 2 1/2" wide. Nothing fancy, just plain black :)

Any leads would be great!

cybergentleman

A-List Customer
my suggestion

there are numerous sites out there like this one:

http://www.theribbonretreat.com/Products/grosgrain-2-14.aspx

but you must buy in bulk.
what i suggest is that you get in contact with a hatter on here, and see how much it will cost to have a ribbon/bow made up and shipped to you, then you tack it on.

or just see how much a hatter on here is willing to charge for a given length of ribbon to ship to you.

good luck

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
2" ribbon is pretty wide today. The highest ribbon that I've seen on modern production hats is 19line from Borsalino . That would be about 1 7/8 inches. Perhaps Offray hasa higher ribbon. You might want to check a fabric store that sells ribbon for other purposes.
2 1/2" ribbon would be much too high!

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com

Bruce Wayne

My Mail is Forwarded Here
cybergentleman said:
there are numerous sites out there like this one:

http://www.theribbonretreat.com/Products/grosgrain-2-14.aspx

but you must buy in bulk.
what i suggest is that you get in contact with a hatter on here, and see how much it will cost to have a ribbon/bow made up and shipped to you, then you tack it on.

or just see how much a hatter on here is willing to charge for a given length of ribbon to ship to you.

good luck

Thank you very much for posting this! I have see some ribbon that I have been needing for a while but have been unable to find elsewhere.

Stan

A-List Customer
Hi,

I have a roll of 22 ligne (that's 2" wide) in Black that I'd sell you a yard or two off of. I don't make much use of the wide stuff myself, being more into the 9 and 12 ligne widths.

PM me if interested.

As was already said, you have to buy this stuff in bulk especially to get the older stuff which is better than the newer stuff. I just bought *another* box of surplus hatband ribbon simply because a lot became available and I'm working on trying to make up a small stock for my own use.

Part of the problem is one has to take some of what one does not really need to get what one wants! At this point, I think I have more $$$ tied up in ribbon than I have in hats! :p

Stan

Bruce Wayne

Stan said:
Hi,

I have a roll of 22 ligne (that's 2" wide) in Black that I'd sell you a yard or two off of. I don't make much use of the wide stuff myself, being more into the 9 and 12 ligne widths.

PM me if interested.

As was already said, you have to buy this stuff in bulk especially to get the older stuff which is better than the newer stuff. I just bought *another* box of surplus hatband ribbon simply because a lot became available and I'm working on trying to make up a small stock for my own use.

Part of the problem is one has to take some of what one does not really need to get what one wants! At this point, I think I have more $$$ tied up in ribbon than I have in hats! :p

Stan

Thank you for the offer, but I am looking for some colours other than black.

Thanx!!!
Charlie

Falcon Park

New in Town
Hey BW,

Finding good ribbon these days may as well be a quest for the holy grail, unless you are able to buy in bulk (and I mean in the thousands of yards). This is especially the case for ribbon wider than 1.5". Beware of online grosgrain ribbon retailers, as most of them sell 100% polyester, which is not very desirable for a nice dress hat. It has a lot of shine to it and cannot be steamed and "bent" to conform tightly to the shape of the crown. Your best bet for grosgrain ribbon with a finished edge is 50% cotton - 50% rayon, which, unfortunately is only available to hat vendors and in 1.5" at the widest in most colors.

OK, now for an actual productive comment(!): if you are willing to use Petersham ribbon, the stuff with a tiny scalloped edge, and are willing to invest in a 33 yd roll, check out:

http://www.jkmribbon.com/rc/petergros.html

They have a variety of colors and widths available, including 2". Some people don't care for the scalloped edge of Petersham, but I personally think it looks just fine. What's more, this ribbon is good quality/good color and is 100% rayon-- very easy to work with in terms of getting it to conform to the crown. I don't think you have to be a business owner to order from JKM, but if you do, drop me a PM and I'll be glad to help.

Best of luck, and if there's any more I can do, just let me know!

FP

Bruce Wayne

Pera.T

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the replies everyone, and for your offer Stan!

I'm now sorted for 2" ribbon, thanks Cane Rod Maker :)

Sam Craig

One Too Many
A couple of years ago, when I got serious about doing my own western to fedora conversions, I began to learn about ribbon.
Until then, I, like 99 percent of the rest of the world, including the hatting world, figured ribbon was ribbon.

It's not.

Petersham is worth the extra money and the effort.

I get mine from a fabric store in a college town about 3 hours drive from here. The store specializes in "natural" fabrics and quilting supplies and it usually has a good variety, especially in black, brown, tan and in various widths.

(BTW -- what do you suppose is "unnatural" fabric? Is it woven by zombies?:eek:fftopic: )

Anyway, I try to buy more than I'll need so I'll have it on hand.

If I have a project I know I am going to work on, I take the hat with me ... if I'm planning a color other than black, so I can match them up.

The folks in these fabric shops seem really anxious to help out us bumbling men ... they are always very helpful.

It might be convenient to order Petersham off the Net, but it's great to buy it in person where you can handle it and get a better idea of the excact color.

Hope that helps ... all except the zombie stuff, I don't know where that came from ... sorry,

Sam

jwalls

Vendor
Charlie Huang said:
Whilst we're talking about ribbons, does anyone know where I can get pure silk grosgrain ribbon at around 1 3/4" - 2"?
Charlie; I been looking real silk (black or charcoal grosgrain) ribbon in 2" and 3/4". If you find some source let me know.

Charlie Huang

Practically Family
jwalls said:
Charlie; I been looking real silk (black or charcoal grosgrain) ribbon in 2" and 3/4". If you find some source let me know.

I remember seeing a vintage length on eBay a year or so ago but stupidly did not buy it!

Personally, I am using it for the 'strings' used in some British academical gowns rather than for hat ribbon... plus, my cummerbund uses the same type of ribbon for the ties which need replacing as they are beginning to disintergrate...

redhawks2

One of the Regulars
There is a vendor on ebay by the name petitour that often posts buy-it-nows for antique vintage ribbon in various widths. He does not have any posted on ebay now but you might contact him to see what he can do for you.

Spatterdash

A-List Customer
Hat Ribbon Supplier Review

Hey, gang.

Wanted to post a review.

I think a few of you may have heard of this gentleman. He goes by the name "petitour" on the Bay and he has a wide variety of cotton/rayon hat ribbon. He sells 6, 9, 12, 16 and 19 ligne, and sometimes 4 and 22, in a good variety of conservative colors.

Here is his store on ebay-
http://shop.ebay.com/petitour/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p3686

His name is William, and if you contact him directly, he is willing to do business directly without going through ebay.

He sent me a variety of samples in 9 and 19 ligne, such as black, his grays, browns, taupes and tans. Those I send back, he'll cut 5 yards and send me the bill.

The ribbon, grosgrain with a good smooth finished edge, is nice stuff and the customer service was great. Just something to keep in mind for those of you who do conversions or want new ribbon.

I've gotten a lot of good info on this forum, so I thought I'd help pass it forward.

jdbenson

One of the Regulars
Kewl

Thanks, Splatter

I saw him on ebay and was wondering about the quality of his ribbons. Good to know he's a good as he seems.

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
I am very curious as to who Petitour is. I've bought and compeated agaist him on Ebay over the past few years on many hat related items. I've emailed him a few time . Appearently they have some kind od "hat foundation " with many interesting items. More than that I dont know. But I am very curious as to what they still have as they have been selling on the 'bay for years.

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana