Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat Ribbons

habberdasher

A-List Customer
Hello, just a simple question. It seems it is normal to change your hat ribbon for what suits what you're wearing, your mood, etc. When you put one on your hat, do you have to secure it on the crown in a special way, or do you purchase a ribbon made for a specific hat size so it is tight enough to be secured on the crown without any fastenings?

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Changing a ribbon on a felt hat requires cutting stitches to remove the old one, then measuring, cutting, and swirling the ribbon for the new one, folding and pressing a bow, removing the liner so that you can get to the backside of the felt to attach the bow, and stitching the whole thing to the hat in such a way that there is no slack.

It's not particularly simple, or something that you want to do often.

In my experience, about the only decent-looking readily swappable hat band is what is commonly called a "puggaree." They are typically pleated, fasten with hooks and are frequently seen on straw hats.

I have seen (here, mostly) attempts at a workable ribbon band that slipped on and off, sans stitching. I've yet to see one I thought looked right.

And while we're at it ...

Among the more conspicuous (to us hat aficionados, anyway) differences between a well-made custom hat and a low-end factory made one is the ribbon work. Not only is the ribbon used by the custom makers generally superior (for reasons we've gone over at length before), the care taken in fitting and securing it to the hat body is much, much more time-consuming than a mass-production operation would ever devote to the process.

Yhat

New in Town
Hat pin

Hope you don't mind my jumping in with a question along these lines...

Is a hat pin (like the stratoliner pin on a stetson stratoliner or the JBS branding iron) supposed to go through just the ribbon, or is it also suppose to penetrate the felt?

Mystic

Practically Family
Hi guys, I'm in need of some hat ribbon opinions.

I bought this old Knox milan straw a while back needing a ribbon replacement. I finally found some "vintage" 2 3/16" ribbon I liked and was close to the old faded stained original Pug style ribbon on the hat.

My question to you long time hat wearers, admirers and tinkerers is this: Which way should I place the ribbon? Orangish stripe to the top or to the bottom? I'm kinda leaning towards on the bottom but still not sure.

Put you're experienced "Hat-Eye" to work and let me know what you think looks best and most original.

IMG_2210_zpshpamvhsi.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_2207_zpsugskcdq8.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_2206_zpszv8zyaqe.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:

AndyR

One of the Regulars
No question everyone is right...bottom. It's just one of those things that looks right as soon as you see it, but for no particular reason. Maybe some sort of anchoring effect?

BTW, I like the hat. Nice find.

Andy

Last edited:

andrew_AU

A-List Customer
Hi all. Other than my intro this is my first "real" post.

I have a black Akubra Bogart. I enjoy wearing it but I don't like the black ribbon on a black hat look (for me).

I have removed the ribbon and fitted a plaited kangaroo leather band on the hat. I think it gives the hat a more casual look, but does it look "too country"?

I'm interested to know what experts here think about what I've done.

The hat and band look brown on my screen, but they are both black

Last edited:

cold

New in Town
Hi. Did you attach the leather band in some way? Glue, stitch, etc? I ask because I have a nice horse hair hat band I want to use to replace the leather one on my Akubra Banjo Paterson.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy