Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat size confusion

mannySpaghetti

One of the Regulars
I'm sure that this subject has been mentioned before, but I looked around for a thread touching on this to no avail, so here it goes. I have a 22 1/2" noggin and I wear 7 1/4 comfortably. Eh, sometimes my lids are just a teensie big, but often times I think that's because maybe the former owner stretched it out some, but it's never really a problem. Like I said, "teensie". Thing is, I almost think I'm cutting my self short on some fine looking hats simply because they're 7 1/8th. I tend to pass them up always, sad to say. Now I've looked around at hat sizing charts and there's so many different takes on the circumference of one's dome that fit the respective sizes, like one says 22 1/4" for a size 7 1/8 and 22 5/8 for a 7 1/4, another, 22 1/2" for a 7 1/8 and 22 3/4" for a 7 1/4, and yet another 22 3/4 for a 7 1/8 and 23 1/8 for a 7 1/4(this seems waaaay wrong). What the hell?! :mad: I've worn both sizes before though I've had less success with 7 1/8. I dunno, is my brain bucket middle of the road or what? That's why I'm asking you knowledgeable folks. I need some clarity. I tell you what, I'm almost ready to find me a good hat stretcher so I'll never pass up a nice 7 1/8th again! Hep me, PLEASE!

Belegnole

One of the Regulars
Manny, I am in your boat, as a return user I have no clue as to my proper size. I also run right at 22 1/2" or maybe 22 5/8" as it depends on how I place the tape. The only hat I have is a 7 1/8 LO and it fits, but it feels like it rides a touch high for me. But is the old hat true to size or has it been stretched/shrunk.....I feel your pain.

I did send out a email to Hats Direct to ask their opinion on a possible Fed purchase...

celtic

A-List Customer
I have been wondering the same thing.

My dome is exactly 22"

Most 7 1/8 hats fit me, but I think I'm wearing them a bit too low and I'm wondering if I should be looking for size 7?

carter

I'll Lock Up
Manny, There is no hard and fast answer to your question.

1. All hats are not equal. A single manufacturer's 61cm (or any size) can vary slightly within the production of the hat. Although the variances may be slight, they are there.

2. There is the matter of material used in the hat body and the effects of weather, temperature, etc. With vintage hats, the effects can be even greater. Many a vintage hat (in my experience) isn't even close to the size tag in the hat. The worse it was treated, the more likely this is.

3. There is the matter of the sweatband, the material used, and how it is installed.

4.Then there are variances between manufacturers as well as variances in systems of measurement.

5. There are probably more reasons for variances than there are for similarities.

6.Hats from a custom hat maker will be more consistent than a factory produced hat.

7. I'd invest in a good stretcher. You'll need it sooner or later.

Daoud

One of the Regulars
I'm not really hung up on the size number of the hat- they do vary as you say. I just know how big my head is in inches, and I go by that. When looking at hats from a certain company, I use that company's sizing chart. If a hat is on eBay and the size is not given (which is surprisingly often) I always ask the seller to measure around the inside circumference of the hat. Most of the time they'll co-operate- if not, you don't want to deal with them anyway.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Size variation is just a normal element of the hat-wearing game. But better to be a little big than a little small. You can shim something under the sweatband of a big hat, but a small hat isn't such an easy fix. I pass up many hats because most 7 3/8 are too small on me, yet most 7 1/2 hats are big. But if I go by my head measurement, I should wear a 7 5/8!

Translation; Stick to the size that seems to work most frequently. Less disappointment and inconvenience in the long run.

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Same problems here, between a 3/8 and 1/2. right now i'm trying to get an ebay seller to measure the WHOLE inside circ., rather than just half of it, which is what they offered up. very confusing, indeed, and each hat that arrives, ultimately, is a crap shoot. keep in mind, though, you can always resell the ones that don't work for you, and give the new buyer more info than you had.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy