Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat size help

mrshanno

New in Town
Hello guys...I'm considering my first fedora, but I'm a little hesitant on what size to get. There aren't any hat stores in my area, so I'll be ordering it. My head measures 22 15/16 inches. I've looked at many sites trying to determine my hat size, and the results vary. It appears that it should be a 7 1/8, 7 1/4 or a 7 3/8 (US) depending on the site. Any insight or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Also, as it appears that I am between sizes, I'm not sure if I should move up or down a size.

thanks

Shannon

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Welcome to the Lounge.

Though it doesn't seem like much, the difference between a 7 1/8 and a 7 3/8 is huge - like the difference between medium and large. If you are a 7 1/8 and buy a 7 3/8, it's going to fall down around your ears. If you're a 7 3/8 and buy a 7 1/8, it's just going to balance on top of your head.

I see what you mean about being between sizes. I'd go with the 7 3/8. If it's a bit big, you can always stuff a little something behind the sweatband - there is plenty of information about that here. If it's too small, you've got to stretch it, and it will probably shrink back down to size.

Take a look here.

If you're buying a new hat, check the return policy of the site. It may cost you a little to return a hat that doesn't fit, but at least you'll be able to get a hat that's right for you, and learn your size in the process.

animator

One of the Regulars
Welcome Mrshanno!

I had trouble judging my head size, so for my first real fedora I ordered a custom hat from Art Fawcett. He sent a handy device (conformer) to measure the size and shape of my head and then made a hat of fantastic quality that fit my head perfectly.

A custom hat isn't cheap, but I think it is an amazing value for the price.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
That certainly is the best, but most expensive way to go. You can't get more accurate than custom-fitted, but it will cost you a little over $300.

mrshanno

New in Town
thanks for the information guys...I probably will end up trying the 7 3/8...hopefully that will work! As much as I'd love to have a custom job, I think I will save that for later (and not for my first hat), as I'll be able to make a more informed decision.

mrshanno

New in Town
thanks again...I did bid on(and won) a hat off of OFAS in 7 3/8. It hasn't arrived yet, so hopefully this size will do the trick.

mrshanno

New in Town
Thanks for all the help on the hat sizing...after measuring my head many times I thought for sure it would be a 7 3/8 size, but I got the hat and I definitely think I'm a 7 1/4. I guess this is the risk you take when measuring your own head and ordering online. Due to not having a hat shop nearby, I'll be trying again though.

I did receive a nice hat off of OFAS and I really like it except it's too loose. I hope to find another one in 7 1/4 size. It was a Christy's London Foldaway in 7 3/8. I'll be offering it in the classifieds if anyone is interested.

mrshanno

New in Town
Justdog,

Can you email or pm me your 7 1/4 hats? I don't seem to have sufficient privileges to private message people on this board. Do you have to have a certain amount of posts before you get priveleges?

thanks

duggap

Banned
mrshanno said:
Justdog,

Can you email or pm me your 7 1/4 hats? I don't seem to have sufficient privileges to private message people on this board. Do you have to have a certain amount of posts before you get priveleges?

thanks
I believe it is 15 posts before you can PM someone.

Justdog

Practically Family
kabuto said:
The dirty truth is that:

-- Sizes vary from manufacturer to manufacturer.

-- Sizes vary within a manufacturer (e.g., Resistol is not consistent in my experience).

-- Ovality varies from manufacturer to manufacturer, and this affects perceived fit.

-- The "correct" way to wear a hat is not set in stone. Two or three fingers above the brow? One or two above the ears? Tastes differ. Brimline position also varies by hat style: A porkpie will generally be higher on the head.

-- Your haircut will affect the fit.

-- A hat will rarely fit you perfectly, and you will have some that you keep a stretcher in, and some that you pad behind the sweatband. (And then you'll get a haircut and everything will change.)

Absolutely agree with your post. Real different even between 2 hats that are the same as in my 2 25's One is calletman lo and the other reg o the style also make the 2 fit a lot different. I am lucky as several of mine could not fit any better. Quality does make a difference but there are occasions where it does not. My best one is the 20 just perfect.

Justdog

Practically Family
mrshanno said:
Justdog,

thanks
You will have 15 in no time. I have some fedoras an open road or stratoliner clone you will probably like, It is an adams. Have a chocolate btown adams revrse tapper pretty much brand new with the box. Just dont wear them is all.
I like my OR's for now. A wormser lighter brown classic 40 style like a whippet.

mrshanno

New in Town
justdog

I'm not really familiar with the wormser or the adams reverse tapper...can you give more details. I don't think I'm interested in the open road types at this time.

thanks!

Justdog

Practically Family
Wormser

mrshanno said:
justdog

I'm not really familiar with the wormser or the adams reverse tapper...can you give more details. I don't think I'm interested in the open road types at this time.

thanks!

Wormser in my opinion is a pretty nicely made hat from the 40's The company goes back quite a ways. The reverse tapper in the adams I have slopes back from the peak of the crown.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou