Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat Store in Chicago?

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
I can probably convince my wife to allow me to visit ONE hat store on our trip to Chicago this weekend.

Any recommendations? I'm looking for one downtown since we want to go to the Science and Industry Musuem. We are staying in Oak Park.

Thanks Loungers!

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Forget about finding something where you're staying.
Drive to Optimo, it will be worth it.
Every other shop, no matter how great, is just selling production hats.

Here's a thread with plenty of photos of the shop to entice you. Even if you don't buy anything, it's just a great place to visit.

ScottyBlues

Familiar Face
Before you pick a store, you'd better define what you're after. Optimo is great, but I don't think they have any hats for less than $400.

If you're looking for a production hat, including some higher end hats by Borsalino and Biltmore, then I recommend Hats Plus. I bought a couple Stetsons and a Biltmore there earlier this year, and the store is great!

See my review at http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=29845

You can find them on the web at http://www.hats-plus.com/default.aspx

That will allow you to see some styles you might be interested in checking out when you get there.

thefedorastore

A-List Customer
HatsPlus

I would also recommend HatsPlus for the budget minded, with a large selection to choose from. They're on Irving Park Road. We left the Chicago area this Spring for the Black Hills.

ScottyBlues

Familiar Face
"Budget-minded"? I spent almost $500 on my last visit to Hats Plus, but I got 3 hats for it, including a $225 Biltmore Eleganza which is one of the best hats I own.

Optimo is a very high-end hat store. People should be sure to point that out when they make a recommendation that you visit them. I've got a couple hats from Art that ran me a tad over $300, but $400-500 is a lot for a hat, even for me.

But I still don't think of that as being "budget-minded". :)

David V

A-List Customer
Hats plus is way up north on Irving Park Road. When you leave the Museum of Science and Industry head norht on Lake Shore Drive. Exit the drive at I-55 and go west to the North I-90 exit. Stay on I-90 till Irving Park and head west on Irving. Hats Plus is a few blocks west of I-90.

thefedorastore

A-List Customer
AS you wish

thefedorastore said:
I would also recommend HatsPlus for the budget minded, with a large selection to choose from. They're on Irving Park Road. We left the Chicago area this Spring for the Black Hills.

When I compare $500 to $200, I consider it budget minded. However, everyone has a different budget, so have it your way. I didn't post in the thread looking for an argument ;-)

Joe_Frances

New in Town
thefedorastore said:
When I compare $500 to $200, I consider it budget minded. However, everyone has a different budget, so have it your way. I didn't post in the thread looking for an argument ;-)

If you in Chicago and don't at least visit Optimo, then you are missing out on a great experience to at least understand what one of the last surviving quality hat makers is done.

I would go for one quality hat over three bargains.

Ben

One of the Regulars
David V said:
Hats plus is way up north on Irving Park Road. When you leave the Museum of Science and Industry head norht on Lake Shore Drive. Exit the drive at I-55 and go west to the North I-90 exit. Stay on I-90 till Irving Park and head west on Irving. Hats Plus is a few blocks west of I-90.

That's the quickest route, but you can also take Lake Shore Drive to Irving Park. It is longer and might mean a little more traffic, but the drive is nice for viewing the city.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Ben said:
you can also take Lake Shore Drive to Irving Park. It is longer and might mean a little more traffic, but the drive is nice for viewing the city.
I concur. Though it helps to keep the Cubs schedule in mind when traveling near Lakeview because when they're in town it's slow goin' in them parts. They're on the road this weekend.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24