Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

hat store in NYC?

Tevie

New in Town
Hi I am new to this forum and would appreciate any advice on where in NYC I can find a good selection of fedoras and be fit properly.
Thanks.

analogist

One of the Regulars
Stay in Brooklyn

Welcome to the world of hats!
Brooklyn is the home to Bencraft Hats which has one branch in Boro Park and another in Williamsburg. Their website will give you a clue as to what they carry in the world of headware and I think you will not go home empty-handed.

analogist

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
analogist, your avatar may just be the most disturbing photo in the annals of mankind......

:p

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
analogist said:
Welcome to the world of hats!
Brooklyn is the home to Bencraft Hats which has one branch in Boro Park and another in Williamsburg. Their website will give you a clue as to what they carry in the world of headware and I think you will not go home empty-handed.

analogist

I agree, bencraft has a great selection. I'm fond of their store in Williamsburg. But would definitely check W&W if what you want is custom felt hats and the finest straw. [huh]

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
I'll stand up for JJ Hat Center. I don't find them particularly overpriced -- I'm sure their rent is very high, given their location -- and they are very helpful and pleasant to deal with. They also will spruce up a hat -- give it a nice brush and steam, reshape it a bit, etc. -- for free, whether or not you've purchased it there.

I can second the rec for Bencraft, where I've also been treated very well, but I think JJ gets something of a bum rap in certain corners of the Lounge.

Feraud

Bartender
Carlisle Blues said:
^^^
I like Orlando and his staff his. In my experience his work is had been excellent.
Thanks for the reply. I have a navy blue Stetson porkpie that needs a new sweatband. I've been talking about getting it refurb'd for a while now.

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
skyvue said:
I'll stand up for JJ Hat Center. I don't find them particularly overpriced -- I'm sure their rent is very high, given their location -- and they are very helpful and pleasant to deal with. They also will spruce up a hat -- give it a nice brush and steam, reshape it a bit, etc. -- for free, whether or not you've purchased it there.

I can second the rec for Bencraft, where I've also been treated very well, but I think JJ gets something of a bum rap in certain corners of the Lounge.

jjs costumer service is outstanding. The staff, friendly. They steam your hat for free even if you're not buying anything. Sure.
The rent being high, sure as well. 5th av. is 5th ave.
But why spend $400 on a Borsalino when you can get it at Bencraft for $250? ( not exact numbers just using them as a close example)
or pay $30 bucks for a hat Jack when you can get it for $14?... My comment wasn't about their service. Again, it's great.

carldelo

One Too Many
Tomasso said:
Really? I've never read a disparaging word.

Well, I've been treated dismissively at JJ more than once. Once the proprietor stretched a straw hat out for me after I specifically told him I wasn't interested in it, then when I failed to buy it, refused to help me any further. It was mystifying. On another occasion, after declining to steam and brush a hat (I expected to pay but the hat had been bought elsewhere, so the answer was no) I was referred by them to Peter & Irving for a sweatband replacement, the result being the destruction of a fine vintage lid. The lid was from W&W, which was unfortunately not open at the time - they will get my refurb business in the future. And Aureliano has it right - for a new hat I'd rather head to Williamsburg, pay less and get treated with respect at Bencraft. OK, rant concluded.

PS - Time has passed since the last of these incidents, so there has certainly been time for a change in attitude. Skyvue's experience was certainly better than mine, and more recent, so is hopefully a more accurate predictor.

analogist

One of the Regulars
Tomasso said:
analogist, your avatar may just be the most disturbing photo in the annals of mankind......

:p
I take this as a personal insult. This is my Bar Mitzvah picture and is probably the last memory my sainted parents have of me.

By the way, do you consider yourself a Cary Grant doppelganger?

analogist

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
analogist said:
I take this as a personal insult. This is my Bar Mitzvah picture and is probably the last memory my sainted parents have of me.
lol lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto