Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat Style Help, Please?

BaggyPants

Familiar Face
OK, so since I became a member here, I'm now looking at hats. Go figure :eusa_doh: My knowledge of them ends with them going on the head, and that's it. What I'm looking for is something in a Fedora like hat, with a fairly wide brim and a not too tall crown. Could some kindly souls give me some pointers, keywords or makers to google for myself, please?

Many thanks,

Bryn

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
I'll do one better. I'll give you a few links of people who carry what you seek;

http://www.millerhats.com/mdressfelt_index/mdressfelt.htm

http://www.bencrafthats.com/product.php?pid=256&subcname=Stetson

http://www.hats-plus.com/t-dress-hats.aspx

The vendors above all have good service and good reputations, and I have dealt with them personally. There are plenty more, but I just happen to remember they had hats with wide brims & lower crowns. I recommend the Miller Baldwin... not a bad place to start.

If you see something you like, ask about it. There's bound to be somebody here with some answers.

Chinaski

One Too Many
Welcome, Bryn, and by the way, you may find your tastes change the more involved you become with the Lounge. You might start liking something vintage with a higher crown. Time will tell and good luck in your search for knowledge.

Michaelshane

One Too Many
BaggyPants said:
OK, so since I became a member here, I'm now looking at hats. Go figure :eusa_doh: My knowledge of them ends with them going on the head, and that's it. What I'm looking for is something in a Fedora like hat, with a fairly wide brim and a not too tall crown. Could some kindly souls give me some pointers, keywords or makers to google for myself, please?

Many thanks,

Bryn
The more you hang around here,the higher you will like the crown,and the wider the brim.....;) lol

BaggyPants

Familiar Face
Thank you, chaps. I like a wide brim because the smaller brims tend too look a bit stupid on a size 61 head, but a high crown makes me look like a giant, being 6ft 2in tall already. I'd not thought of Akubra. A friend had one some years ago which was very nice. Hmmmmmm....... Food for thought :)

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
BaggyPants said:
I'm now looking at hats.
To start out, I would recommend visiting the best hat shop in your area where you can try on various sizes/shapes/colors to get an idea of what type of hat suits you best. Once you nail that down you can shop online with some confidence.

frussell

One Too Many
tall crown

You get used to it. I'm 6'5", so I know what you mean; I used to feel like I was going to hit every doorframe going through with my taller crowns, but they do become habit-forming. Unless you're rail thin, sometimes a big guy just looks more balanced in a taller crown. Doesn't mean I don't have a few stingies, because the other advantage of being that size is people don't seem to feel as free to criticize. Be glad you're only a 61, you can still find the occasional good vintage in that size. Pickings get slim at 63. I'll second the recommendations above, and have done business recently with HatsPlus and HatsDirect many times. Good luck to you. Frank.

BaggyPants

Familiar Face
Tomasso said:
To start out, I would recommend visiting the best hat shop in your area

lol lol lol You've obviously never been to South Yorkshire. If it was a flat cap I was after, it would be no problem. It'd be easier finding rocking horse poo in this county than a milliners lol lol lol

Hats

Just so you are aware, if you do buy from Miller hats, the return policy only allows store credit;plus you have to eat additional shipping charges. I learned the hard way. Others may be different, I'd look into that before making the purchase.

I wish I would have just taken the dough and put it toward a custom.

Joeyeah_right

New in Town
BaggyPants said:
lol lol lol You've obviously never been to South Yorkshire. If it was a flat cap I was after, it would be no problem. It'd be easier finding rocking horse poo in this county than a milliners lol lol lol

A quick Google search brought up this from Yell.com:

http://www.yell.com/s/hat+shops+and+milliners-south+yorkshire.html
I have no idea if any of these places are any good, but it's something :)

BaggyPants

Familiar Face
They all appear to be ladies hat shops, and I don't think a fascinator would suit me really. Not without the dress and heels to go with it lol Thank you for looking though.

billyspew

One Too Many
BaggyPants said:
They all appear to be ladies hat shops, and I don't think a fascinator would suit me really. Not without the dress and heels to go with it lol Thank you for looking though.

I'd suggest you look at Hornets Hats first, if you fancy an Akubra, Everything Australian is good (no customs charges). If you buy from US firms, you'll likely be stuck with Customs charges!

I'd also take time to look at Bates and Lock & Co. (and the physical London shops) if you're ever in London.

billyspew

One Too Many
Hereward said:
Does that mean that postage from Australia to the UK does not incur a custom charge?

The two I've ordered from them have been marked as gift - might have something to do with it, but I've been charged for "gifts" from other countries. perhaps it's to do with being a commonwealth country?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters