Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat styles for oversized melons?

Geesie

Practically Family
Size, of course, is relative. I wear a 7 5/8 - 7 3/4 hat, which is large but not huge. However, I'm a slim guy. 6'2", 42L jacket, 30 inch waist. My head would be proportionate to a boxer's frame.

When I was a kid, I got teased a lot - I was even skinnier and I looked somewhat like a q-tip.

Anyway, the three hats I frequently wear all are snap-brim center dent, 2" brim. I've owned a larger brimmed hat but I thought it might accentuate the large skull, and I've owned a stingy-brim straw and worried that it gave my head a "fat man in a little suit" look. I want to wear other styles (particularly a porkpie) but I'm worried about how it will look.

Is this all in my head (pun not intended) and I'm just overly sensitive or are there hat styles that should/should not be placed atop the larger head?

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Brim of say 2 1/4" to 2 1/2" I'd say. Not too wide, not too narrow. It is just my opinion, but a high tapered crown may look better as it won't make you look like a fat guy in a slim suit, not will nor make your head look even bigger. I personally find that tapered crowns suit me better as I'm also tall and slim with a not quite as large head.

carldelo

One Too Many
I'll echo what Avedwards said above. I wear 7-3/4, but am not nearly as tall as you (5'9") - I find 2-3/8" is about the biggest brim I can wear well. I look best in the Stetson 4" tall teardrop, with either 2-1/4 or 2-3/8 brim. Teardrops help keep the crown height down, which may be desirable for you. I have a Chatham (raw brim) and a couple of Ashlands (underwelt brims).

My Stylemaster with 2-1/2" brim and 4-1/2" tall teardrop crown looks too big and too blocky on me. With your height, you'd be able to pull off the crown height, but the brim might look like a lampshade.

I have a Christy's Marlborough which has a 2-3/8 brim and a 4-1/4" crown that is too tapered for me - but I bet it would look good on you. Hornets Hats has a wide range of Christy's, all of which appear to have this same European taper. In fact, they have a pork pie with a 2" brim - it should look fine. Hornets has a good reputation, and will alter ribbon width and color to your request. Shipping is pricey, but the overall cost is reasonable.
Here's a few pics of my Marlborough - sorry about the odd angles...

Good luck, let us know what you decide...

PS I meant to add - the Christy's Epsom is exactly the same as the Marlborough, but with a narrower 2-1/4" brim. I bet that one would look perfect on you. Several loungers have this hat and report liking it quite a bit. The brim is not bound, but I believe they'll add it for no charge if you ask nicely.

carldelo

One Too Many
Geesie - Did you ever get a larger-brimmed hat? I ask as I'm selling my Marlborough and Stylemaster in case you're still looking to experiment with larger brims - ads are up in the classifieds now. No pressure obviously, just thought you might like to have a look.

I am just under 5'10", started getting shorter since turning 45 it seems. I don't care for any brim less than 2 5/8 inches. My preferred width is 2 3/4 inches but then I have worn western hats at 3 3/4 to 4 inches for years, so I guess my eye is tainted that way. The shape of your face has a lot to do with it to me more than your totally height. JMHO

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24