Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hatbox Homage

Mark, Yes from Mayser but sourced from Zeitler - Karton, Murnau / Oberbayern. I am not sure if they are still available because too expensive to produce.
Steve,

THANKS for chiming in.....I had a feeling you would know about it!! And here I thought it was one of "those" decorator boxes I see around.....

Well, I CAN attest to how well it is made (thus expensive)..... I have an early Knox and a couple three or four 50's and earlier Stetson boxes similarly well made.....BUT this is one of the prettiest!;);););)

Steve,

THANKS for chiming in.....I had a feeling you would know about it!! And here I thought it was one of "those" decorator boxes I see around.....

Well, I CAN attest to how well it is made (thus expensive)..... I have an early Knox and a couple three or four 50's and earlier Stetson boxes similarly well made.....BUT this is one of the prettiest!;);););)
Mark, Thank you! The boxes in the film are lightweight so nothing like the modern ones. I don't have any of the 1950/60s boxes but they are available in auctions. It's great that a company like Zeitler - Karton, Murnau / Oberbayern is still in business today.

Ok so there was this local ad.........

IMG_20200713_181547.jpg
IMG_20200713_182213.jpg IMG_20200713_182223.jpg IMG_20200713_181620.jpg IMG_20200713_181626.jpg IMG_20200713_181643.jpg
IMG_20200713_182257.jpg

AND they had their inserts!!! (the Mayser photo-bombed this:eek::rolleyes:)
Perhaps Stefan or Daniel can chime in on the vintage of the Borsa Box.....

Last edited:
A WONDERFULL BUT CAUTIONARY HATBOX TALE!!
Ok.......some time ago I got this otherwise unremarkable EMPTY:(:(:(:(
50's Stetson box......I will say it is heavy and well made.....
20200722_100237.jpg
20200722_100204.jpg

THIS LABEL gave a great deal of added interest.........
20200722_095704.jpg

AND the label gave me a goal! Find a 50's 7XCB OR (that fits me) to place in it!!:eek::eek::eek::eek:
UNTIL VERY RECENTLY......I thought that an impossible task......BUT....now.....the ideal mate HAS been found!!
20200722_100125.jpg
20200722_100034.jpg

The ""Marriage" is complete!! :):):):):):):)

So, why a "cautionary" tale?? Well these two did not start life together..........because at my estate sale (or a future Ebay listing) by my heirs.....you can "Bet Money" it will be listed as a honest hat in it's original box......and THIS VERY POST will be the only evidence to the contrary.:eek::eek::eek::eek:
o_O:eek:o_O:rolleyes:;)

So, we really DO need to be cautious about those hats sold with their "original" box (and "dated" sales slip, from "Dad's collection", and with Granfathers blood mark from the Lincoln County Wars:rolleyes:)...... though I DO assure you....my hat (yes THIS one) has THE 1861 U S Army Engineer Corp map from the battle of Athens Mo tucked behind the sweat by Colonel David Moore when he wore this hat at that time!:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:p:p:p:p:p
I am Soooooooo glad he kept it there!!:):):):):):):)

;)M;)

buler

I'll Lock Up
I've always said they weren't worried about collector's back in the day. "Matching numbers" hat and box wasn't a concern. Unless you were there they day they got the hat shipment in and bought the box and hat, you can never be certain they are a "match".

Congrats on making your "match"!

B

I've always said they weren't worried about collector's back in the day. "Matching numbers" hat and box wasn't a concern. Unless you were there they day they got the hat shipment in and bought the box and hat, you can never be certain they are a "match". Congrats on making your "match"!
B

I think you entirely missed my meaning............and the poking of FUN at a good many things found in auction listings nowadays.......;)

EDIT: And the dating of the obvously 1960's hat (complete with soft plastic tip protector), found with a 1940's newspaper behind the sweat, in a box dated 1927 AND a reciept for an item costing $23.55 sold at a general store in 1879.......OFTEN discussed here!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Such a hat MUST therefore be from 1870!!!!!:D:D:D:D

Last edited:

buler

I'll Lock Up
I think you entirely missed my meaning............and the poking of FUN at a good many things found in auction listings nowadays.......;)

EDIT: And the dating of the obvously 1960's hat (complete with soft plastic tip protector), found with a 1940's newspaper behind the sweat, in a box dated 1927 AND a reciept for an item costing $23.55 sold at a general store in 1879.......OFTEN discussed here!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Such a hat MUST therefore be from 1870!!!!!:D:D:D:D

Nope, I got it completely and I agree. I guess my post came off incorrectly.

B

I never take anything at face value, especially in an eBay listing. Unless some crusty old guy hands me a hat and box and tells me, "I bought this myself in 1948 at Bob's Hats in Poughkeepsie," I just enjoy what I have.

I WILL say that as I collect the boxes as well as the hats I will often place the correct hat for the box (or use the correct box for the hat;)) when storing many of my hats. I will also say of all my hats (vintage pre-1965), that I have perhaps only 6 or 7 that may indeed be with their original boxes that came with them. Two are western 3X last drop liners that each came with a correct western theme Stetson Box, a 1940's Adam with a matching 1940's box (logo and all), a Dated 1956 Philadelphia store dark blue-grey homie in correct box, A early 60's Royal Deluxe OR gifted from a friend (was purchased and worn by his father), my recently arrived 1920's(?) silk topper in correct labeled box also containing a labeled finishing "pillow", and a 1930's "THE Royal Stetson" Derby in a 1930's "THE Royal Stetson" box that has hand written "Hubbie's Derby" on it..........

Before the 1930's people generally were fitted and walked out of the store with their new hat on and rarely (if ever) got a box...(one exception for the "Dress" silk Topper, which were fragile (and expensive) hats and often came with a box). The Boxes seen in early store photos are often the taller bulk shipping boxes (like my Knox above) and not really meant for the customer (though I have seen a good many examples obviously cut down at the request of a customer for the storage of a single hat, like the picture I added of a box NOT mine) and used for not only factory shipping and then storing shop hats, but to decorate and advertise the brand within the store.

It seems that individual hat boxes actually intended for the customer originated sometime in the 1930's with the explosion of the (often awesome) art boxes and "Model" boxes occurring in the late 30's -1940's and onward...

Even now JJs,(as do many others with limited space) still do not receive or ship their hats in individual factory boxes.....and you need to request a box if you want one when buying at the shop (store labeled constructed on site). Just like the "old days"!!!;)
Cut Stetson.jpg
Cut Stetson2.jpg

YEP, looked great, until the lid came off!!!!!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elzbthy