Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hatbox Homage

I will say that a LOT of people talk of "Beaver Brand" the lead name used when the company closed to describe the history is a little misleading. Beaver Brand as a name did not appear until the mid-60's and replaced the much longer used "Lion Hats" which incorporated the Lion logo from the original Langenberg Hat company use (though after the 40's the lion changed a bit). The Langenberg Hat company used Lion Hats as their lead brand for over 60 years.......I have examples from each decade from the 1930's thru to the last use of the brand in the 60's......I am still hoping to get earlier examples (though I DO have ads for "Lion Hats" from the 1899 through the 1940's).
M;)

I like that Mr. Green branding. Wonder if it was this guy?

View attachment 185801

We could probably start a new thread with all the brands put out by Beaver Brands. This one was local.

View attachment 185802

From their closing auction:

View attachment 185803
YES, that base box construct and particularity the print design IS from the Langenberg Hat company. I have at least three of the same size construct and print design each with a different "Brand" including the Thoroughbred Hats.......

Origional lid........not married........if anything it MAY be a Dobbs box.....
M;)

Artwork looks similar to this Knox box. Hence my speculation.

Knox.jpg

Artwork looks similar to this Knox box. Hence my speculation.

View attachment 186611
Yes.....very similar but not the same. Cool box.....A LOT of the box artwork of this period is quite similar and often had the same artists working on the art....Same holds true for the ads of the period. You can generally tell by the art, the the time frame of a piece and often the artist as well....
Again...my box is whole and not married and the art is different. With all the carriages illustrated it probably is a Dobbs.....Hard to say for sure....could be another company pretending to be Dobbs or like Dobbs....and maybe even a Knox...trying to look like a Dobbs who is trying to look like a Stetson.....:eek::rolleyes:;)
And I LOVE that Stetson "Privateer" box!!!!!
M:)
PS Here they are side by side. You can see the similarities AND the Differences.
Box.jpg
Knox.jpg

PPS: Here is an Ad for a Knox Tom & Jerry......very much like a Whippet!
Knox Tom and Jerry.....jpg

Last edited:
Out of curiosity I've been looking to learn information about the Stetson Brantley. No luck. With a Seal Select (Finish?) & a depth of 5-3/4, was the Brantley a homburg? These white label boxes were in use prior to 1910 but I don't know for how long.

IMG_6672.jpg

IMG_6673.jpg

A more complete label from a box once owned by Moon could indicate the box was in use as early as 1887.

IMG_6580.JPG

Out and about Again, and I find this:
IMG_20200709_164111.jpg
IMG_20200709_164127.jpg
IMG_20200709_164139.jpg
IMG_20200709_164149.jpg
IMG_20200709_164213.jpg
IMG_20200709_164222.jpg
IMG_20200709_164232.jpg
ABSOLUTELY LOVE THE ARTWORK!!!!!!!

Now it is NOT a original Mayser Hat box.....It is either a fantasy box or a reproduction of a real Mayser box (hopefully Steve or someone will chime in as to what these boxes actually looked like). It is one of "those" boxes you get from places like Hobby Lobby for display and/or storage (thus has no insert). It is quite heavy, well made and looked REALLY COOL!!!!!!

And as my chances of finding a real Mayser Box are close to .0057%, I felt it would look cool with my real hat boxes. PLUS it did look like it may actually hold one of my Maysers.... soooooooo I bought it ($15) ....AND......
It totally fit one of my all time favorite hats!!!!!!!!:D:D:D:D:D

IMG_20200709_164331.jpg
IMG_20200709_164403.jpg
IMG_20200709_164308.jpg

Out and about Again, and I find this:
View attachment 246482 View attachment 246483 View attachment 246484 View attachment 246485 View attachment 246486 View attachment 246487 View attachment 246488 ABSOLUTELY LOVE THE ARTWORK!!!!!!!

Now it is NOT a original Mayser Hat box.....It is either a fantasy box or a reproduction of a real Mayser box (hopefully Steve or someone will chime in as to what these boxes actually looked like). It is one of "those" boxes you get from places like Hobby Lobby for display and/or storage (thus has no insert). It is quite heavy, well made and looked REALLY COOL!!!!!!

And as my chances of finding a real Mayser Box are close to .0057%, I felt it would look cool with my real hat boxes. PLUS it did look like it may actually hold one of my Maysers.... soooooooo I bought it ($15) ....AND......
It totally fit one of my all time favorite hats!!!!!!!!:D:D:D:D:D

View attachment 246491 View attachment 246490 View attachment 246489
Mark, Great find! I have a few of the reproductions. I can order them from Mayser if anyone is interested. I would have to put in a bulk order. Zeitler - Karton, Murnau / Oberbayern makes the reproduction and also holders, boxes and cases going back to the 1950s (see link).

https://germanaustrianhats.invision...au-oberbayern-hat-boxes-hat-cases-hat-holders

About 11 years ago I was told about a scene featuring Mayser Hats and Boxes from the comedy / farce "One, Two, Three" by Billy Wilder staring James Cagney. The movie was shot in Berlin around 1960 prior to wall going up. I was able to purchase a copy so I put a clip of the scene "Speeding Crash Course" on YouTube.

Mark, Great find! I have a few of the reproductions. I can order them from Mayser if anyone is interested. I would have to put in a bulk order. Zeitler - Karton, Murnau / Oberbayern makes the reproduction and also holders, boxes and cases going back to the 1950s (see link).

https://germanaustrianhats.invision...au-oberbayern-hat-boxes-hat-cases-hat-holders
Very interesting........you know.......I never even looked at the underside of the lid.......
AND........guess what??
15944156625332061302600.jpg

So is this from Mayser then......one of thier reproductions?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran