Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hats and Baldness...settle a dispute for me.

Do wearing hats contribute to baldness?

• Yes, Look Forward to Spray on Hair

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, There will be No Need for a Comb Over.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

FedoraGent

One Too Many
FLers,

Recently I was down in Monterey on my way to the theatre with a pal of mine. We started to talk about the subject of my Borsalino and his belief that it as well as the rest of my hats will take me down the path of baldness. Finding this totally proprosterous (sp.) I decided to claim the First Right of Shennanigans. And so I did and he and I now are in disagreement. He truly believes that if I wear hats long enough (no I don't wear baseball caps unless under duress) that I will become as bald as Buddah. I think and have heard that baldness is attributed to hereditary traits. He believes that if you don't let your head have constant oxygen, you will definitely go bald. He also believes that if you're hot and you're wearing a hat that makes you perspire this will contribute to you going bald as well. Now I wasn't 'mad' in the traditional sense of the word but I was tempted that night to shave his head while he was asleep. Now...I didn't but I'd still like to see what other people think. Not about whether I should shave his head, but about the baldness issue.

Whaddaya think?

Jon

indyjim

Familiar Face
I didn't wear any hat at all when I was in my teens and twenties and my hair
was falling out like crazy. I'm not completely, bald but I do have the traditional male pattern
baldness which has been slowly thinning over the years. I wear a hat now, partially to protect that area from the sun. But I lost more hair when I didn't
wear a hat. I don't see a relationship.

Pilgrim

One Too Many
For every crackpot, there's a theory, and vice versa.

For heaven's sake, wear the hat and don't worry about it. Genetics are not affected by wearing a hat.

Feraud

Bartender
A common perception is more men suffer from baldness today than in the past.
If the percent of men who wear hats is less today than in the past, how can a hat contribute to baldness?

Tony in Tarzana said:
I think it's the other way around. Baldness comes first, then the hat, lol
lol lol Yes!!

MJCR

One of the Regulars
I read a very convincing article that said it's pretty much genetic, you inherit your hair type from you mother's side of the family. So, if you maternal grandfather is bald you're out of luck. Or, to put it another way, you're genetically pre-disposed to wearing hats!

It could all be hogswash, but my father and his brother were bald by their early twenties - my hair is fine at 33 and looks more or less like my mother's father.

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
MJCR said:
I read a very convincing article that said it's pretty much genetic, you inherit your hair type from you mother's side of the family. So, if you maternal grandfather is bald you're out of luck..

The genetics of male pattern baldness is a lot more complicated than that. The old mother's side of the family is just a simplified, "junior high genetics" version.

jml90

One of the Regulars
I don't know the answer but I think the positives out weigh the negatives.
Keeps your head warm, dry, and the sun out of your face not to mention looking good while you do it

Mulceber

Practically Family
well I suppose it depends. My theory on baldness is that cholesterol clogs up your arteries, thus preventing as much blood from getting to the hair folicles (the cells that grow your hair) which then die from lack of oxygen. So if your hat was on to tight, I think it could cut off circulation, and eventually lead to baldness, but otherwise, NAH! BTW, if my position was ambiguous, I just wanted to say that I voted no. -Mulceber

thefedorastore

A-List Customer
I think the baldness is part of our evolution. I think all man will be bald one fine day, and then they will all need a nice hat. Too bad I won't be around to see it. If you have lost your hair, you have come full circle.

magneto

Practically Family
The only way a hat could contribute to baldness is if you wore it so tightly it rubbed / pulled your hair off!

(Women who wear those very tight ponytails and hairbands do experience hair loss 'round the temples from the above syndrome...but obviously the standard hat is not pulling out your hair. In fact, it's probably keeping it in place! ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot