Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hats and Drinks - A Match Made in Heaven

Where's Granite City?
One in Illinois is my wife's home town.

Sent from my LM-X410(FG) using Tapatalk
Granite City is a brewpub company with locations in some 12 states I think. I don't know if it has anything to do with Granite City, IL or not, if thats where your wife is from. I've been to Granite City and Pontoon Beach, Il, a steel mill town. Not much else there.

PS: just thought of it but Granite City is very similar to Rock Bottom out of Denver.

Last edited:
Tonight I switched it up to Negra Modelo with my Tex Mex, wearing a 3X OR in what I call Slate Gray. Back at home, I'm finishing off the night with some Maestro Dobel Tequila.

IMG_6323.jpg

IMG_6324.jpg

IMG_6322.jpg

IMG_6326.jpg

IMG_6332.jpg

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
But you didn't say if you liked it or not? If you liked it enough to continue to make a comparison, then compare the Quarter Cask against a bottle of Lagavulin 8. They both come with no guaranteed age statement, & come in at the same price point.

The Lagavulin was a very interesting taste. I did like it. Now that I am prepared for the peat taste it is enjoyable to sip. The Lagavulin, IMO, drinks better on ice. The ice smooths the taste - velvety. Being new to the whiskeys I pour a small amount in a crystal glass , ice and sip. The taste and flavors, of my sampled ones, are big. It was a great value at my local store. They are very different. My fav so far is the Red Breast.

I do intend to explore other whiskey options. Jack you are correct the "cost" is relative and after sipping the ones I picked up the last couple of months I recognize they will last a long time as the quantity imbibed is small.

This afternoon I celebrated the end of a long week with a Guinness.

i-QJpx3M8-M.jpg

Cheers, Eric -

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Borsalino and Banana Bread Beer at Biergarten. Is that enough BBBBBs
96fcf820267c0fddb25d06dfd23e446f.jpg

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

Sounds like a bbbbb-ery good time.

I'm working for free and drinking on a budget this week. I stopped in a Hi-Vee grocery and they had Beam shooters 5 for $5. Gold, Black, or Devil's Cut. That price is better than a handle.
I'm partial to Devil's Cut. I've never learned to appreciate the Peet.

All new to me sir. I look forward to having the taste experiences you have had. Price is not my top decider in selecting special beverages. It sounds like you had plenty of options. The floor turned out great.

Tonight I switched it up to Negra Modelo with my Tex Mex, wearing a 3X OR in what I call Slate Gray. Back at home, I'm finishing off the night with some Maestro Dobel Tequila.

View attachment 191971

View attachment 191972

View attachment 191970

View attachment 191973

View attachment 191975

Welcome back from your adventure Jack.

Hat and Rehat

Call Me a Cab
Granite City is a brewpub company with locations in some 12 states I think. I don't know if it has anything to do with Granite City, IL or not, if thats where your wife is from. I've been to Granite City and Pontoon Beach, Il, a steel mill town. Not much else there.

PS: just thought of it but Granite City is very similar to Rock Bottom out of Denver.
Yeah. I've been hanging out there, Granite and Pontoon, at least a week every couple of years for a long time. Steel town, and a tavern culture.
I finished high school in Crown Point, IN, South of Gary, and worked a coke battery on Chicago's South side right out of school, so that culture wasn't new to me, though my dad was white collar, so my roots were different.
The last few years we have made a point to spend less time at Mom's and explore up the river a ways. It's nice, but I'm not moving back across the 95th parallel. No humidity, and no insects to speak of.

Hat and Rehat

Call Me a Cab

View attachment 191971

View attachment 191972

View attachment 191970

View attachment 191973

View attachment 191975
That's one of my favorite Mexican pours. El Tejado, less than a mile from my house, serves it on tap, with a great menu, and even Mariaches, serenading the tables.

Hat and Rehat

Call Me a Cab

Hat and Rehat

Call Me a Cab
All new to me sir. I look forward to having the taste experiences you have had. Price is not my top decider in selecting special beverages. .

Thanks, Eric, about the floor. I'll always wish I'd taken more care in a couple of parts of the process, but I also know I would not have taken that floor on for a paying customer. Considering how far gone it was, I advised we throw in the towel.
We didn't, and to my surprise we actually got some breed of Pheonix to rise from the ashes. Or maybe a crow.
But I know it means a lot to my daughter, warts and all. So I'm content.

Jim Beam claims to be America's Buorbon, and I've always liked it much more than Jack Daniels, even though more songs were probably written about #7.
The Devil's Cut is a fine blended Bourbon, with spirits from deep in the cask wood blended with their finer Bourbon. I think it matches up against many American whiskeys at double the price, and wonder what it might be with 1 or 2 more years in the barell.

My fav so far is the Red Breast.
If your tastes are zeroing in on Irish Whiskey another good one to compare to the Redbreast is Green Spot Single Pot Still. I think you would enjoy that one too.

I do intend to explore other whiskey options. Jack you are correct the "cost" is relative and after sipping the ones I picked up the last couple of months I recognize they will last a long time as the quantity imbibed is small.
Nowadays they call it building up a "whiskey library". When you "borrow" some you must replace it. I do wish my favorites would last a little longer around here though.

Hat and Rehat

Call Me a Cab
If your tastes are zeroing in on Irish Whiskey another good one to compare to the Redbreast is Green Spot Single Pot Still. I think you would enjoy that one too.

Nowadays they call it building up a "whiskey library". When you "borrow" some you must replace it. I do wish my favorites would last a little longer around here though.
My coworker of a little while back distilled. He would triple run batches, and turned out very smooth 'shine.
At one point he bought an oak aging cask, precharred inside.

That borrowing thing was the rub. He never did get a full batch of aged, caramel colored liquor.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Founders Agave this afternoon.

i-gXhBSC3-M.jpg

This evening out listening to music. I stopped at a bar across the street as I was early and sat and sipped a Macallan 12. Good whisky, but not one I will purchase to have at home. The bartender said that the bottle has not been poured from for a long time. He also apologized as the bar did not have whiskey glasses anymore. He said he would pour a generous amount so that it might get appreciated. It was served to the tippy top with Macallan 12. I liked the whisky with a few drops of water. I listened to you folks about adding water and read up about only adding a few drops. It did taste different with a few drops. The Macallan 12, to me, is not overpowering in any manner and I believed that adding ice might dull the taste to much and eventually taste too watery.

i-DtCMb8G-S.jpg

Enjoyed the ability to taste this whisky. Fine stuff. Music was excellent.

i-gXPg8MF-M.jpg

Best, Eric -

Last edited:
Founders Agave this afternoon.

i-gXhBSC3-M.jpg

This evening out listening to music. I stopped at a bar across the street as I was early and sat and sipped a Macallan 12. Good whisky, but not one I will purchase to have at home. The bartender said that the bottle has not been poured from for a long time. He also apologized as the bar did not have whiskey glasses anymore. He said he would pour a generous amount so that it might get appreciated. It was served to the tippy top with Macallan 12. I liked the whisky with a few drops of water. I listened to you folks about adding water and read up about only adding a few drops. It did taste different with a few drops. The Macallan 12, to me, is not overpowering in any manner and I believed that adding ice might dull the taste to much and eventually taste too watery.

i-DtCMb8G-S.jpg

Enjoyed the ability to taste this whisky. Fine stuff. Music was excellent.

i-gXPg8MF-M.jpg

Best, Eric -
I used to enjoy Macallan 12 Sherry Cask series a lot. Great aperitif, almost like a cordial. Then prices on Macallan started to increase, said the first fill Sherry casks were getting hard to find. But prices on their Oak series went up also.

A few drops of water can really open up some Malt whisky's, especially the more oily ones.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner