Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hats and Drinks - A Match Made in Heaven

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
On my way home shortly ago I stopped and visited my local liquor store. I picked up an Irish and a Japanese whiskey for home. Excellent prices give me the opportunity to expand my whiskey experience.

i-6xST5s3-M.jpg

More to come. Salutations, Eric -

On my way home shortly ago I stopped and visited my local liquor store. I picked up an Irish and a Japanese whiskey for home. Excellent prices give me the opportunity to expand my whiskey experience.

i-6xST5s3-M.jpg

More to come. Salutations, Eric -
I've always wanted to try Suntory's Yamazaki Single Malt Whisky but it is expensive & hard to find. I've wondered if I could buy it cheaper at the airport duty free shop? And the dives where I hang out don't sell it by the drink. I believe Suntory has been making Whisky since the 1930's.

Look forward to reading your thoughts & comparisons between the Redbreast & the Green Spot.

PS: Just priced Suntory Yamazaki out again & their 12 yr old Single Malt sells for $299.99, their 18 yr Old for $999.99, & their 25 yr Old for $7,999.99.

Did I mention I have a birthday coming up soon?

Last edited:

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
I've always wanted to try Suntory's Yamazaki Single Malt Whisky but it is expensive & hard to find. I've wondered if I could buy it cheaper at the airport duty free shop? And the dives where I hang out don't sell it by the drink. I believe Suntory has been making Whisky since the 1930's.

Look forward to reading your thoughts & comparisons between the Redbreast & the Green Spot.

PS: Just priced Suntory Yamazaki out again & their 12 yr old Single Malt sells for $299.99, their 18 yr Old for $999.99, & their 25 yr Old for $7,999.99.

Did I mention I have a birthday coming up soon?

Good to know about your birthday. I hope that they announce my winning Powerball number soon so I can get you and that LONG list of others gifts. :)

I did have a taste of Yamazaki 12 at a buddies house last week. It was late at night and I really only had a couple of tastes so that I would be comfortable on my commute. In retrospect I should have enjoyed and Uber'd home. I had no idea at the time of the cost. Being a rookie, I just enjoyed without knowing it's placement on the whiskey shelf. I thought it was a balanced very elegant drink. When in conversation I mention my recent foray into whiskey, I find nearly everyone (men and women) I know professionally and socially have opinions and experiences they share. Some surprisingly have real passionate suggestions. It is an easy foray into sharing. Never knew.

My shelf is limited (Hibiki, Greenspot, Red Breast, Laphroig 1/4, Woodford Reserve and Mcclellan 12). Definitely my shelf is a 1st world problem. As time marches so shall my exploration. I have a better idea of the options available and can explore more confidently now. My wife has sample the Red Breast and enjoys it also. We have mutually agreed upon a price limit to the bottle cost. We can explore the really pricey whiskys at fancy establishments. Who knows what we will like.

Eric -

I did have a taste of Yamazaki 12 at a buddies house last week.
That's cool! I've thought about buying several of the Suntory 2 oz samplers, Mix & match. But that really doesn't make much sense when I figure out what that ends up costing per oz.

I'll find a reason to jump off into the deep end yet!

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
All Day IPA was embibed this afternoon. I shared a pic on the "wearing" thread and now a beer pic at the grill. :)

i-Vz3FdJz-M.jpg

i-Sr8qd8G-M.jpg

This evening I sampled the Hibiki. It is a glorious beverage sampled neat. It is similar in complexity to the Red Breast, but in a much different way. Complex taste that changed throughout my drink. Smooth and easy that was easy. I worked steaming a couple of hats and enjoyed the personal time.

Oh and the bottle-what a grand bottle.

i-JQtpcSW-M.jpg

Best, Eric-

Desert dog

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The color of that hat is beautiful! The crease is spot on too! Vanilla porter sounds good.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Thanks DD. I've been calling it Chocolate but I believe Gannon refers to it as dark brown. It's the dress weight that's now being called 100X beaver. When it came to me it was virtually new with a snap brim & a diamond crease.

Lots of treats at GC last night. The Vanilla Porter was actually a little bit bitter to me so I stayed with their 2-Pulls. Brought home a growler for Sunday's game.

Tomorrow night is Whiskey & Whiskers at the club to launch No-Shave November & try & get a pledge for charity from the baby faces. Whiskered members get a free drink. I'll wear my Derby or maybe my Exposition Homburg. It promises to be a good time for all! You should be here as my guest.

IMG_4454.JPG

IMG_3593.jpg

IMG_5049.JPG

Desert dog

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks DD. I've been calling it Chocolate but I believe Gannon refers to it as dark brown. It's the dress weight that's now being called 100X beaver. When it came to me it was virtually new with a snap brim & a diamond crease.

Lots of treats at GC last night. The Vanilla Porter was actually a little bit bitter to me so I stayed with their 2-Pulls. Brought home a growler for Sunday's game.

Tomorrow night is Whiskey & Whiskers at the club to launch No-Shave November & try & get a pledge for charity from the baby faces. Whiskered members get a free drink. I'll wear my Derby or maybe my Exposition Homburg. It promises to be a good time for all! You should be here as my guest.

View attachment 193102

View attachment 193101

View attachment 193100
Sounds like a fun event, if only I lived closer!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
My dog and I are sitting on the dock enjoying the quiet lake. Red Breast 12 Irish Whiskey is a perfect sipping beverage to celebrate a long work day.

i-VCpspjM-M.jpg

The combo of bourbon and sherry casks impart this whiskey a signature taste and flavor. The color, when swirled, really has a red hue. I have been reading a bit about Oloroso ("scented" in Spanish). I understand it is a variety of fortified wine (sherry) made in Jerez and Montilla-Moriles, Spain. Oloroso is usually dark and nutty. I have put it on my "shopping list." I am hoping to taste the sherry to capture what that flavor is. Once I do that I am confident that I can really nail down the contribution to this fine whiskey that the sherry butts imparts to the beverage.

Enjoy your evening folks.

Best, Eric -

The combo of bourbon and sherry casks impart this whiskey a signature taste and flavor. The color, when swirled, really has a red hue.
Whether Scotch or Bourbon I love a whisky that is Sherry Cask aged as an after dinner drink. Very much like sipping a cordial.

I understand Wood Hat has a Bourbon on the market now aged in new casks made from Pecan wood. I haven't found it or tried it yet, but sounds interesting. Talk about a red hue:

IMG_6191.PNG

Tonight ends a rough & long 28 hrs or so for me. I'm thankful for the way it turned out. I'm releaving the stress & lack of sleep with pours of some Caballito Cerrero Blanco Tequila with Dos Equis Ambers, & some water back. I was barely aware of even wearing my SBCD.

IMG_6387.jpg

IMG_6388.jpg

IMG_6389.jpg

IMG_6390.jpg

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Whether Scotch or Bourbon I love a whisky that is Sherry Cask aged as an after dinner drink. Very much like sipping a cordial.

I understand Wood Hat has a Bourbon on the market now aged in new casks made from Pecan wood. I haven't found it or tried it yet, but sounds interesting. Talk about a red hue:

View attachment 193855

Tonight ends a rough & long 28 hrs or so for me. I'm thankful for the way it turned out. I'm releaving the stress & lack of sleep with pours of some Caballito Cerrero Blanco Tequila with Dos Equis Ambers, & some water back. I was barely aware of even wearing my SBCD.

View attachment 193856

View attachment 193857

View attachment 193858

View attachment 193859

Jack, in my limited experience I agree with sherry cask aged whisky(es) as being more like an after dinner drink. The Hibiki, Red Breast and even Green Spot have a sherry cask taste. Tonight I have poured a small portion of the Green Spot to take down to the boathouse. Sitting on the porch, listening to the lake, I am contemplating the long day. The Green Spot is just right for tonight. I have read a variety of tasting reviews. I, as of tonight, do taste the peppermint, fruit and it is definitely smooth. I do not taste vanilla as several reviewers speak of. All in all, it is an easy drink. I do need to sample the Yellow Spot and perhaps sample it before a peaty smoked whisky.

Our late Fall weather has taken the turn towards winter. Snow flurries the past couple of days point distinctly towards the winter. My flavor preferences do change with the season. Salute to all.

i-Wm7vzJx-M.jpg

Best this evening, Eric -

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21