Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hats and Drinks - A Match Made in Heaven

Hat and Rehat

Call Me a Cab
Knob Creek Rye at a Republican happy hour. I wore the sporty Champ tonight.
My wife is at the bar fetching another double rocks.
I think I'll keep her.
911925056f521b79287778253436eae4.jpg
43e3da5b8618bee3c9ad562b6d006fb1.jpg

Sent from my LM-X410(FG) using Tapatalk

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Cool temps and a power outage find me hanging out at the boathouse. Power expected to be back on before 1:00am. I started with sipping Woodbridge and then changed to Laphroaig Quarter Cask. I had no taste expectations of this whisky besides having the palate experiencing smoky peat. I am liking the taste this evening. It has heat initially. After adding an ice cube and taking a couple sips the whiskey shows some fruit or sweetness. The taste does not last too long. I do like it this evening. The cold evening does bias me.

i-HhcLH9n-M.jpg

The above pic is of the Woodbridge. It has a bunch more color to the liquid.

My wife started with Woodbridge and has switched to Laphroaig with me. The smoky taste is working with the scent of pine trees and the dampness produced by the waves beating against the shore tonight. Cheers folks.

Eric -

Last edited:

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
I stopped in to my local liquor store and was greeted nearly right at the door by my excited buddy (owner). He said he had picked up a case of Yamazaki Single Malt 12 at an excellent price from a business partner. He sold me a bottle for a small amount more than my recently purchased Hibinki Whiskey. As you imagine I was very appreciative. Shopping local pays off in soooo many ways. (BTW: I only bought 1 bottle so as not to be greedy. When I mentioned this to my friend, he smiled knowingly and said "Greed is not a financial issue, but an issue of the heart. " Seriously, he is a guy I like!)

i-ZBQd4Zq-M.jpg

As to the taste, creamy, fruity and the finish is nutty/fruity. Not sweet to my taste. Overall I think it is an very elegant tasting whiskey. I have tried it neat and with some crushed bar ice. By all means enjoy this whiskey neat.

I enjoyed this at a buddy's house a while back and opening this bottle has brought back all the glowing tastes and thoughts I recall. IMO, it deserves a place on your whiskey shelf.

Unique - a twist cap. I have been reading that this was purposeful and not an expense saving choice. The screw top allows consistency without having a cork alter the flavor in any way. New to me....who would have thought.

i-GjdZ85J-M.jpg

Enjoying this whiskey in the boat house waiting for the sauna to heat up.

Salute, Eric -

Last edited:
...my excited buddy (owner). He said he had picked up a case of Yamazaki Single Malt 12 at an excellent price from a business partner.
Lucky you, Eric. And excellent review & recommendations! My kids may have to give me a bottle for Christmas!

Look forward to hearing follow up reviews.

Earlier I was just slummin' it tonight with some Negra Modello's & a Stetson 7X Fifty NOR.

IMG_6422.jpg

IMG_6423.jpg

IMG_6421.jpg

IMG_6420.jpg

IMG_6411.jpg

IMG_6418.jpg

IMG_6419.jpg

Wearing my BSHW I finally took in a new Celtic pub that recently opened nearby. I enjoyed a few Smithwick Irish Ales while eating a plate of corn beef hash & potatoes.

IMG_6426.jpg

IMG_6427.jpg

IMG_6425.jpg

IMG_6424.jpg

IMG_6428.jpg

Specializing in a large inventory of Celtic whiskies I decided to switch to a Highlands Speyside Single Malt Whisky. Since I have never had Speyburn 10 yr old before, I enjoyed several pours neat. Stingy pours but very smooth & enjoyable for a 10 yr old Single Malt. Very heathery (like the felt of my BSHW) & apertif like. Probably the best 10 yr old I know of. I'll be adding a bottle to my "library" soon.

IMG_6432.jpg

IMG_6433.jpg

IMG_6430.jpg

IMG_6431.jpg

IMG_6434.jpg

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Wearing my BSHW I finally took in a new Celtic pub that recently opened nearby. I enjoyed a few Smithwick Irish Ales while eating a plate of corn beef hash & potatoes.

View attachment 194905

View attachment 194906

View attachment 194904

View attachment 194903

View attachment 194907

Specializing in a large inventory of Celtic whiskies I decided to switch to a Highlands Speyside Single Malt Whisky. Since I have never had Speyburn 10 yr old before, I enjoyed several pours neat. Stingy pours but very smooth & enjoyable for a 10 yr old Single Malt. Very heathery (like the felt of my BSHW) & apertif like. Probably the best 10 yr old I know of. I'll be adding a bottle to my "library" soon.

View attachment 194910

View attachment 194911

View attachment 194908

View attachment 194909

View attachment 194912

Good to know about the Speyburn Jack. I have been reading about different whiskeys from Ireland and Scotland. I just get overwhelmed by the numerous brands. Scotland has a population of < 5,500,000 (FYI: Twin Cities, MN area is 3,2000,000). Everyone must be in the whiskey or a whiskey related business. I have started keeping a mental list of "try it", buy if good priced and those I will pick up in the next couple of months. I have a couple domestic options on my "list."

To this moment I do not have a bias to blended, grains used, manufacturer, age or other. My taste preferences vary all over the map. The smell of the different brands/releases are quite varied. They are easier to smell than beer. When I have poured a dram at home I truly smell, taste and savor the liquor. It has made drinking them relaxing. With the small amount I serve myself, I will have a several year whiskey library soon enough. My schedule and discipline with alcohol amounts do not really make visiting a specialized whiskey bar to sample a reality until the Holidays. Home is my bar. Often my wife is the other bar keep and my table companion - sweet.

Eric -

Good to know about the Speyburn Jack. I have been reading about different whiskeys from Ireland and Scotland. I just get overwhelmed by the numerous brands. Scotland has a population of < 5,500,000 (FYI: Twin Cities, MN area is 3,2000,000). Everyone must be in the whiskey or a whiskey related business. I have started keeping a mental list of "try it", buy if good priced and those I will pick up in the next couple of months. I have a couple domestic options on my "list."

To this moment I do not have a bias to blended, grains used, manufacturer, age or other. My taste preferences vary all over the map. The smell of the different brands/releases are quite varied. They are easier to smell than beer. When I have poured a dram at home I truly smell, taste and savor the liquor. It has made drinking them relaxing. With the small amount I serve myself, I will have a several year whiskey library soon enough. My schedule and discipline with alcohol amounts do not really make visiting a specialized whiskey bar to sample a reality until the Holidays. Home is my bar. Often my wife is the other bar keep and my table companion - sweet.

Eric -
I drank blended Scotch in water for yrs; Johnny Walker Black, Chivas Regal, & Dimple Pinch mostly. Scotches are blended for volume & taste consistency in volume. With so many Single Malts going into a blend it helps to eliminate any variance in the taste & aging from one Cask to the next. Every bottle of every Cask tastes the same. When I started drinking Single Malts I quickly learned that my favorites were prominent in the blends I always liked. They happened to be mostly Highland Speyside's so I explored other Speyside Single Malts. After similar ventures into Islay's & Lowlands I started to make distinctions in tastes between the geographical regions of Scotland.

When you pour a dram & smell the aroma the type of glass makes a big difference. But so does breathing in thru both your nose & open mouth at the same time as you inhale. It tends to concentrate the aroma on more of your sensory surface areas. Like pipe tobacco smoke does on the roof of your mouth & tongue.

When I go to a good whiskey/whisky bar it's usually to try something I'm interested in but never had before. Unless it is strictly a social gathering with friends there's no point in drinking what I can enjoy at home. Then again, it's hard to go into a bar & not know somebody!

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Just discovered this thread and thought I would make my first contribution. Got home from work in the 7XCB and poured me a wee dram of Lagavulin 16 to warm my bones after a big Northern blew in today....

View attachment 195050

View attachment 195049

Terrific dram to enjoy the warmth and taste! I see that your "library" of whiskeys has a good many options. Be warm and cheers sir.

I have just arrived home and have started some cajun catfish grilling on the grill. The spicy fish finds me enjoying a dram of Yamazaki 12 on some chopped ice. I am thinking that the full flavored whiskey on ice will pair up well with the heat of the catfish.

i-WknMcQh-M.jpg

Apologies for the messy stack of hats in the background of the pic. My messy "workbench, " teak desk, will take some effort to clear by working/cleaning/steaming/blocking a bunch of hats. Cheers.

Eric -

I have just arrived home and have started some cajun catfish grilling on the grill. The spicy fish finds me enjoying a dram of Yamazaki 12 on some chopped ice. I am thinking that the full flavored whiskey on ice will pair up well with the heat of the catfish.
Blackened Cajun catfish with dirty rice & jalapeño hush puppies are a big favorite of mine. No talapia for me, thanks! I usually pair that with a nut brown ale but I like your idea of the Yamazaki.

Hagwood

Call Me a Cab
Terrific dram to enjoy the warmth and taste! I see that your "library" of whiskeys has a good many options. Be warm and cheers sir.

i-WknMcQh-M.jpg

Apologies for the messy stack of hats in the background of the pic. My messy "workbench, " teak desk, will take some effort to clear by working/cleaning/steaming/blocking a bunch of hats. Cheers.

Eric -

Thanks Eric. The Catfish sounds great !

I've been drinking Scotch (and to a lesser degree Irish Whiskey) for about 35 years, after I graduated from Crown Royal, LOL.

Like Jack was saying above, I love going to Irish/English Pubs whenever I see them and trying something I haven't had before. I've kinda settled on the Macallan 12 as my every day dram, and enjoy the Highland/Speysides the most, especially the Sherry Cask Aged. I do always keep several Islay's around though for when in the mood for a "Real Man's Drink"....

I tried several of the Japanese Single Malts when they were in their infancy and didn't really care for them. Seemed unrefined back then, but I guess I should try them again.

Cheers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21