Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hats and Drinks - A Match Made in Heaven

ryan_289

Familiar Face
At duck camp enjoying some football and some buffalo trace with my 10x Resistol.
f689296f0d30e1d5345fc5d3341a5ff0.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
66d7899df679caf62ee8e85d63dee36a.jpg

This one’s the Auchentoshan American oak. It is delicious, but I find it needs several minutes in the glass to mellow out and lose the medicinal quality. An ice cube helps.
I like the Balvenie double wood much more. Lots of complexity but still smooth, although has a tiny bite. Perfectly acceptable to drink neat. Haven’t yet tried ice or water. Plus the bottle looks classier.
Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hagwood

Call Me a Cab

This one’s the Auchentoshan American oak. It is delicious, but I find it needs several minutes in the glass to mellow out and lose the medicinal quality. An ice cube helps.
I like the Balvenie double wood much more. Lots of complexity but still smooth, although has a tiny bite. Perfectly acceptable to drink neat. Haven’t yet tried ice or water. Plus the bottle looks classier.
Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Speaking of The Balvenie, picked up this little sampler at the local liquor store this weekend. I’ve only had the 12 year old like yours, and one of my favorites, so I’m anxious to try the other 2.

Glad you liked it, it is a good one. Try the Macallan 12 if you get a chance. You’ll love it if you like the Balvenie.

617744FE-C9DA-4F8B-9910-DBF1F53F519D.jpeg

BF2E3432-5867-4FFD-A768-A8C82B58BB22.jpeg

I think the American Oak comes with no age statement which means it's a younger Whisky. It's an effort by many distillers to bring product quicker to the market & occupy what they perceive to be a gap in their line of aged Whisky. They say most of these Whiskies are bottled from casks "averaging" around 5 yrs of age. I think Laphroaig claims their's average around 8 yrs of age. By letting it set a bit you allow some of the alcohol to evaporate from the glass. Ice tames the alcohol taste as well.

If you like Auchentoshan & want to try another with no age statement, try their Three Wood. They claim it averages aging 10 yrs in Bourbon casks followed by an average of 1 yr in Oloroso Sherry casks, & finally 6 months in the casks of a white Spanish wine whose name I don't recall. I've only had a couple of glasses but it was quite good.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up

Cheers!

Sounds terrific Jeff. Glad you are enjoying them. The barrier to play ( dollar wise) is higher than beer and for me it has been "home run or swing and a miss" in buying them based upon reviews. I know I should visit a whiskey bar, but never seem to make the time. The ones I have not enjoyed I pass along to other acquaintances who appreciate them.

I have not tried either and will look them up next time shopping for liquor.

Speaking of The Balvenie, picked up this little sampler at the local liquor store this weekend. I’ve only had the 12 year old like yours, and one of my favorites, so I’m anxious to try the other 2.

Glad you liked it, it is a good one. Try the Macallan 12 if you get a chance. You’ll love it if you like the Balvenie.

Sir, thanks for the share. After sampling various drams of Macallan 12 I think I get it's taste profile and it provides a basis to listen and read yours and others whiskey reviews.

i-svHTgWQ-M.jpg

Long morning of crazy weather. Like Jeff's neighborhood, the rain, ice and sleety snow have been a travel and removal challenge. We closed the business today - that rarely happens. Travel was dangerous with no change til evening, so closing was the wise move. That means I get a day off! Shoveling, snowblowing this morning has found me tired and wet. A change of clothes and I am sampling a new to me bottle of bourbon, Four Roses Single Barrel. Opened the bottle this mid morning to taste a dram. I am sampling it with eggs, bacon and home made rye bread. It is suprisingly light on the tongue and while 100 proof it has very little heat/bite. The taste profile is moderately complex. In my mind I am thnking balanced and smooth. It is a very genial bourbon that I like with a small amount of crushed ice. This one will be interesting to drink in comparison with others and over time.

i-bH5RPDs-M.jpg

Best to all on this snowy day in Minnesota. Cheers, Eric -

Hagwood

Call Me a Cab
Sounds terrific Jeff. Glad you are enjoying them. The barrier to play ( dollar wise) is higher than beer and for me it has been "home run or swing and a miss" in buying them based upon reviews. I know I should visit a whiskey bar, but never seem to make the time. The ones I have not enjoyed I pass along to other acquaintances who appreciate them.

I have not tried either and will look them up next time shopping for liquor.

Sir, thanks for the share. After sampling various drams of Macallan 12 I think I get it's taste profile and it provides a basis to listen and read yours and others whiskey reviews.

i-svHTgWQ-M.jpg

Long morning of crazy weather. Like Jeff's neighborhood, the rain, ice and sleety snow have been a travel and removal challenge. We closed the business today - that rarely happens. Travel was dangerous with no change til evening, so closing was the wise move. That means I get a day off! Shoveling, snowblowing this morning has found me tired and wet. A change of clothes and I am sampling a new to me bottle of bourbon, Four Roses Single Barrel. Opened the bottle this mid morning to taste a dram. I am sampling it with eggs, bacon and home made rye bread. It is suprisingly light on the tongue and while 100 proof it has very little heat/bite. The taste profile is moderately complex. In my mind I am thnking balanced and smooth. It is a very genial bourbon that I like with a small amount of crushed ice. This one will be interesting to drink in comparison with others and over time.

i-bH5RPDs-M.jpg

Best to all on this snowy day in Minnesota. Cheers, Eric -

Thanks for the review on that one, I have not tried it, but sounds good.
Damn, you're making me hungry with the eggs, bacon and home made rye bread !

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Not all liquor - coffee break this morning.

i-jkJ36B5-M.jpg

Bourbon vs. scotch whiskey. Very different taste in the mouth. My wife got home shortly ago and we are fixing some lunch and opened a bottle of whiskey we picked up for less than $20.00 on sale - Speyburn 10. The bottle opened and we are sipping a tiny bit.

A nod to Jack for suggesting this whiskey earlier last month. I was reading about the Speyburn and noticed it on sale for a terrific buy.

Interesting taste and we are comparing it to the Four Roses (opened this morning-see above). Lots of "to Do's" this afternoon so we are being careful about the amount we are sampling. Our review is based upon a tiny bit of tasting.

i-j7DDngz-M.jpg

Light in the mouth. The fruit taste is up front, a slight heaviness of toffee and a bit of a peat note coming thru. The fruit(wine taste) fades quickly this afternoon. This whiskey with a bit of water definitely shows more nuance. We are working hard to identify specific tastes and finish as it is a light whiskey. We surmise that our guests, visiting over the next couple of days, will enjoy this whiskey. This is a whiskey, IMO, that should be stocked and is a visitor go to.

We are new to the whiskey game and our tastes represent that inexperience and the moment. Who knows what preferences this bottle will bring in the coming months.

Thanks for allowing me to share my whiskey/bourbon adventures. Cheers, Eric -

Last edited:

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points