Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hats and Drinks - A Match Made in Heaven

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Out with the South Texan OR clone on Tequila Tuesday, then back home to continue the celebration.

I am envious of your celebration Jack. Tasty and progressively tasty. This past weekend I had my first sample of fine tequila. While visiting San Antonio I had a shot of Don Julio 1942. I sipped the Julio like sipping one of my whiskeys. My tequila experiences have been the typical tequila sunrise in college. This was a first for me. The bartender shared this was the "new version" in the new bottle. I did enjoy it. I will have to taste some others to offer comparision. So more to come.....

Founders Dirty ba***rd Scotch Ale and Royal Stetson

Cheers

a1011a2d879f3cff535f81d8ce3b3805.plist
0798e87f22fd714cfaa455e97a9b896e.plist

Best,
Joe

Looks delicious.

Been a long day. Black Borsalino and Woodford Reserve Double Oaked:
View attachment 205522

Miss you pops, 01/11/07.

Long day with good memories. Sounds like a plan.

Home tonight and watching the stars twinkle while sipping a Guinness.

i-QMd6V9b-M.jpg

Eric -

I am envious of your celebration Jack. Tasty and progressively tasty. This past weekend I had my first sample of fine tequila. While visiting San Antonio I had a shot of Don Julio 1942. I sipped the Julio like sipping one of my whiskeys. My tequila experiences have been the typical tequila sunrise in college. This was a first for me. The bartender shared this was the "new version" in the new bottle. I did enjoy it. I will have to taste some others to offer comparision. So more to come.....
I'm happy to hear you enjoyed the experience, Eric. I enjoy Don Julio but have not had the 1942. I'll be sure and pick some up on your recommendation.

I drink some Reposado still but have really settled in on learning the various nuances of Blanco. In a good Blanco I think I can tell the difference in Blue Agave cooked in a clay oven (much preferred by me) over that cooked in stainless steel ovens. I think I have learned the more glycerin, the softer the mouthfeel. Not sure if it correlates to the glycerin/softer mouthfeel or not, or whether it's the difference in Agave, but some Blanco's have a much more black peppery taste than others; not harsh & I certainly enjoy both. And finally just a small amount of vanilla in the aftertaste. Still enjoying learning & refining my tastes...and it's Tequila Tuesday once again! After Tequila, a beer...is just a beer!

I'm happy to hear you enjoyed the experience, Eric. I enjoy Don Julio but have not had the 1942. I'll be sure and pick some up on your recommendation.

I drink some Reposado still but have really settled in on learning the various nuances of Blanco. In a good Blanco I think I can tell the difference in Blue Agave cooked in a clay oven (much preferred by me) over that cooked in stainless steel ovens. I think I have learned the more glycerin, the softer the mouthfeel. Not sure if it correlates to the glycerin/softer mouthfeel or not, or whether it's the difference in Agave, but some Blanco's have a much more black peppery taste than others; not harsh & I certainly enjoy both. And finally just a small amount of vanilla in the aftertaste. Still enjoying learning & refining my tastes...and it's Tequila Tuesday once again! After Tequila, a beer...is just a beer!

Every once in a while Costco has an anejo that is quite excellent and only about $20 for a liter.

Best,
Joe

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hagwood

Call Me a Cab

Looks delicious.

Long day with good memories. Sounds like a plan.

Home tonight and watching the stars twinkle while sipping a Guinness.

i-QMd6V9b-M.jpg

Eric -

Always nice discovering new drinks Eric. I’m not a huge Tequila guy, but Don Julio is my favorite. Usually sip the Anejo and shoot the Blanco.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
And following it up with a Fire Ant Funeral....

Glorious weather to sip a fav ale. Cheers.

Soaking up the sun, Tim. It was a beautiful day!

Sir both you and Tim have some very temperate weather. I was in nearby San Antonio for a few days last week (Thur-Sunday) and it was a shock. Friday was in the 80's. Jeepers that was warm compared to my Minnesota backyard. The harsh storms had power outages on Saturday in the downtown area. I was amazed to see green vegetation, flowers, ducks wandering all over and tons green trees. It was magnified by the returning home to 4" of new snow.

Home tonight sipping a bottle of Guinness Draught. My wife had picked this up a while back instead of the Stout version we normally have in the beer refrigerator. I do like the stronger flavor, but miss the creamy and hoppy taste of the extra stout. I do not miss the higher alcohol content (coming from the higher sugar content).

Best, Eric -

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Tonight I had a late evening meeting that culminated with a dinner at Ruth's Chris Steak House. We had signed up for a whiskey and bourbon dinner. It was delicious 4 course meal that featured meat, shrimp, lobster and sides. Scrumptious. Every course was accompanied by different beverages. We had Redemption Rye with 1st course, Bruichladdich Single Malt with 2nd course, Port Charlotte Single Malt, Redemption High Rye for 3rd course ending with Hudson Maple Cask Bourbon.

I wisely used Uber to and from the dinner. That is a lot of whiskey and bourbon for me. I was unable to finish several of the whiskeys. I genuinely liked them all, but it was a bit much to finish the food and beverages.

Glorious and scrumptious. It was worth the $85.00 price tag for the experience. I did not get any cap pictures, but did get a pic of the Hudson Maple Cask Bourbon sipped at the bar at the end of the meal.

i-pRhj9Mj-M.jpg

Enjoying the after-glow, Eric -

Tonight I had a late evening meeting that culminated with a dinner at Ruth's Chris Steak House. We had signed up for a whiskey and bourbon dinner. It was delicious 4 course meal that featured meat, shrimp, lobster and sides. Scrumptious. Every course was accompanied by different beverages. We had Redemption Rye with 1st course, Bruichladdich Single Malt with 2nd course, Port Charlotte Single Malt, Redemption High Rye for 3rd course ending with Hudson Maple Cask Bourbon.

I wisely used Uber to and from the dinner. That is a lot of whiskey and bourbon for me. I was unable to finish several of the whiskeys. I genuinely liked them all, but it was a bit much to finish the food and beverages.

Glorious and scrumptious. It was worth the $85.00 price tag for the experience. I did not get any cap pictures, but did get a pic of the Hudson Maple Cask Bourbon sipped at the bar at the end of the meal.

i-pRhj9Mj-M.jpg

Sounds like quite an evening Eric

Best,
Joe

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

i-pRhj9Mj-M.jpg

Sounds like a great time & experience, Eric. That's always a good way to sample new drinks without buying the bottle. And any meal at Ruth Chris is worth what it cost, especially if it included steak.

Nothing like good mule. Run it three times and toss the heads and tails (or thin shellac with them).
I toured Olde Towne Distillery in Harrodsburg, KY on a Bourbon tour a couple yrs ago & really liked their Chaplin Hills brand moonshine that is distilled from Hemp seed grain. It gives a nice even nutty flavor. And as pointed out by Rusty above, Shine is great for the rheumatizm, better than CBD anyday!

Unfortunately the only place I've been able to buy it is when I go to my kids in the area. It's quality Shine, good for the man in you. They also distill the usual apple, peach, raspberry, watermelon, etc if you prefer sweet Shine.

Along with their Bourbon, rum & vodka, they distill a Spirit Whiskey they call the General's Series in honor of US Major General Don Carlos Buell & CSA General Braxton Bragg at the Battle of Perryville, KY. It's a blend of Bourbon & white whiskies aged in oak casks.

From their pamphlet:

IMG-7353.jpg

I'll be going to the kids again in May.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Cheers folks.

I am posting early as I have been enjoying a new beer for me and I wanted to share. A tasty Guinness Foreign Extra Stout. I picked the beer up as in impluse buy. Only of late have I had the Guinness Draught vs. the Stout. My wife and I have been enjoying a 12 pack of the Draft. This morning at my local liquor store I was picking up a "refill" and another Habiki Whiskey. Seeing this made me curious and an impulse buy found me home starting the grill for lunch and sampling this beer.

i-vQqTG8J-M.jpg

It has only been of late that I have discovered that a variety of Guinness exists. I am surprised at my lack of attention to detail.

i-BKTZgnw-M.jpg

This Foreign Extra Stout pours black, like a fresh pot of coffee. Thick pour. Thicker pour than Stout. It has a strong, concentrated head that stays with the stout up until the moment it's consumed. Taste, mouth feel and after taste is a real stout. Mild compared to the Founders Stouts, but smooooooth. The 7.5 % ABV does is well hidden under the smooth taste. I like it and I bet that my guests this evening will appreciate it being a stout between the Guinness Draught and the Founders Stouts/Porters that I stock.

If you see this it is a worth experience, IMO.

Best this afternoon, Eric -

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112