Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hats and Funerals

job

One Too Many
Hat etiquette is not so evident or simple anymore. I would take it off inside and when approaching the family and during the service. Sometimes it just feels like a time to remove it.

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk

fedoracentric

Banned
Inside the chapel, church or funereal parlor (where ever the ceremony is), hats off all the time. Hats off greeting the family even outside. Hats off during the internment at the gravesite during that little prayer, too. That is what I'd do.

skydog757

A-List Customer
Unless you are in uniform, uncovering to show respect is the custom, so if you are a pallbearer, then you should be uncovered. In uniform, it would be a salute to show respect & as a pallbearer, you would have your cover on.

Exactly right. I have attended events while active military and as a deputy sheriff. One of the strengths of these type of agencies is that there is very little grey area; everything is governed by policies and regulated. Modern social life doesn't seem to have a handbook.

Jedwbpm

One Too Many
Before I worked at DelMonico's I worked for a Funeral Home as a Bagpiper (putting the Fun in Funeral) pallbearer and driving the hurst. I would wear my hat outside and remove it inside. During prayers gave side I would uncover unless I was holding an umbrella over a member of the clergy or family. Watch the Funeral Home staff and the clergy for clues. When in doubt take it off

Jeff

Tedquinton

A-List Customer
Thanks for all the replies. I decided to go hatless as I didn't want it to get in the way, having constantly to take it off etc. I'm glad I did as I was given a wreath to hold and would of run out of hands. Felt really strange though. I don't feel properly dressed now without a hat.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Over 40 years I've been to many funerals. Inside or out, not once has anyone worn a hat. Or possibly even owned one. I know that's not helpful but it indicates the era we live in.

Slacker Drummer

Familiar Face
A picture is worth a thousand words.

JFKfuneral.jpg

fedoracentric

Banned
Are you quite sure? To me the picture above says: "If you are a head of some states - a priest - or a military person - you shouldn't be bothered with manners or etiquette". The question is: Does it talk to you, like it talks to me?

I think we can excuse the pall bearers, don't you? I mean, when your hands are full of a casket rail, how do you hold a hat in your hands. As to the older military men closer to the top they look like foreign dignitaries... likely from some barbaric European state free of etiquette! Probably haughty French. :) LOL

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
likely from some barbaric European state free of etiquette! Probably haughty French. :) LOL

Well, this barbaric European received enough basic education to be able to recognize some famous and historically significant persons in the picture ... including President Charles de Gaulle and emperor Haile Selassie. Maybe, you were not as fortunate [huh]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ