Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hats and Funerals

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
Nahhh ... I may spot a small, bad mannered Danish minority, though :)

I can spot only one, wearing what could be a Danish uniform from the time. The officer 5 places left of de Gaulle seems to be wearing a Danish M59 uniform. M59 was introduced in 1959 and replaced with M69 in 1969, which would make M59 the correct uniform at the time of JFK's funeral. He's also wearing a cap, which would not be seen as proper in Denmark - and I'm quite sure it's against Danish military regulations.

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
As to the dignitaries, if it is not the flag of your country, you may be excused or forgiven for your lack of knowledge or difference of custom.

If dignitaries with a paid staff of advicers may be excused for disrespecting Stars and Stripes at the funeral of an American president, I can't help wondering, who should respect a flag - and when? [huh]

Slacker Drummer

Familiar Face
To me, it appears that they are in the process folding the flag, which would be a moment when hat removal would be expected. As to the dignitaries, if it is not the flag of your country, you may be excused or forgiven for your lack of knowledge or difference of custom.

When civilians might take off their hats for the flag (as in taps, here), the foreign officers are saluting the flag. You can see some civilians have placed their hats over their hearts as well. When the civilians would take off their hats for prayer, the foreign officers do, too. Standard operating procedure for funerals for civilians -- hats off.

JFKfuneral3.jpg

JFKfuneral2.jpg

Last edited:
In the first photo (During Taps) I see some military (front left) with their hats off. The ones that have them on (throughout the photo) appear to be saluting (excluding the ones holding the coffin).

-30-

A-List Customer
THE REST of THE STORY:

"When attending JFK’s funeral as president, he was not entirely satisfied with the seating arrangements, having been placed in the eighth row:
Resolutely, he marched to the front and told the head of protocol “Right. We can start,” and sat down there and then."

Jonathan Fenby’s book, The General: Charles de Gaulle and the France He Saved.

Regards,
J T

CliffG

One of the Regulars
I got off work early today and was walking down the street to my car, I saw a funeral procession motoring along towards me, I stopped and took off my had while they passed by keeping my head lower in respect. After they passed I put my hat back on and went on my way.
I was taught as early as I remember that is what you do to show respect, my dad told me his dad always would pull over and even stop the car and everyone got out and took off their hat until the procession passed.
I was thinking about this practice, is it just something my family did and I continue to do or is it more common and I just do not notice anyone doing it?

Woodtroll

One Too Many
I got off work early today and was walking down the street to my car, I saw a funeral procession motoring along towards me, I stopped and took off my had while they passed by keeping my head lower in respect. After they passed I put my hat back on and went on my way.
I was taught as early as I remember that is what you do to show respect, my dad told me his dad always would pull over and even stop the car and everyone got out and took off their hat until the procession passed.
I was thinking about this practice, is it just something my family did and I continue to do or is it more common and I just do not notice anyone doing it?

This was a common courtesy and show of respect when I was growing up too, and the "older" folks here still practice it when they can (it's not as easy to pull off the road and get out for the procession anymore, with today's cars, roads, and traffic). And yes, I am one of the "older folks" these days. ;) But many of our younger folks don't observe "our" common courtesies even in the country anymore. Everyone used to wave at approaching cars by lifting a few fingers off the wheel, but even that little gesture has almost passed with time. I applaud you for showing your respect!

I don't think I remember anyone pulling over for a funeral procession, but I would certainly doff my hat if I were walking. I have a habit, taken from my mother, to cross myself when seeing a funeral procession. She would also cross herself whenever passing a church.

People wave at me all the time in my car by taking a "few" fingers off the wheel. One is a few, right?

When two lane highways were the norm rather than the exception a lot of states had laws on the books where you pulled over in both directions for a funeral procession. Four lane highways make it harder to do that & so the law became forgotten over time. Most have probably been deleted from the books by now.

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
I don't think I remember anyone pulling over for a funeral procession, but I would certainly doff my hat if I were walking. I have a habit, taken from my mother, to cross myself when seeing a funeral procession. She would also cross herself whenever passing a church.

People wave at me all the time in my car by taking a "few" fingers off the wheel. One is a few, right?
Ha ha Fruno
Here in WV folks are very friendly. They raise the one off both hands to wave.
I’m always so honored!
B
Ps: and if a funeral procession goes by, if at all possible, stop everything, even talking, out of respect as if it were your Mother passing by one last time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points