Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hats and vintage: With or without Indy?

How important is Indiana Jones to your interest in vintage clothes and culture?

• Indiana Jones is entirely irrelevant.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Indiana Jones was a factor in the beginning, but not any more.

• Indiana Jones has become an important part of my interest.

• Indiana Jones was my main route in and continues to be most important.

• I am an unapologetic gear head with little interest in other aspects of vintage clothes or culture.

• Total voters

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
I'd say that the first movie was a factor--although I had been wearing the canvas/twill type of "Gable" hat a grey wool official Indiana Jones hat was my first fedora back in the early '80s. I enjoyed the movies, but only saw them in the theaters when they came out. I don't recall if I ever rented them to watch after that. When I had a leather jacket made while stationed in Korea I was thinking motorcycle jacket not Indy jacket, though it was a nice natural brown color instead of black.

I asked for and received the trilogy collection for Christmas so I could refresh my memory before the release of the fourth movie in the trilogy. :p

Cheers,
Tom

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
At the risk of being labeled disingenuous and elitist :rolleyes: I voted that IJ had no influence on me at all as I began wearing fedoras and flat caps long before the first film was released.

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
I blame "The Brady Bunch" for my interest in vintage. No I'm not kidding. And I was always Jan. I even had banana curls.

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
Tomasso said:
At the risk of being labeled disingenuous and elitist :rolleyes: I voted that IJ had no influence on me at all as I began wearing fedoras and flat caps long before the first film was released.

I don't think of you as disingenuous at all. I believe most folks just like the style. "Indiana Jones" struck a chord with people already in tune with the look of the period as well as drawing in the unfamiliar.

staggerwing

One of the Regulars
freebird said:
Actually, IJ doesn't influence my choice of headgear. I've never seen a IJ movie, don't know why exactly as I'm not opposed to watching them. I did look into picking up the trilogy at Wal-Mart a few days ago, but saw the pricetag and put it back. Not an elitist here, just a guy from the sticks.

I'm with Freebird on this. I never watched the movies, although from the bits and pieces I've seen flipping through the television channels, they look interesting enough. I'm just not a big movie watcher. I have a short attention span and bore easily. I found a cheap fedora in a department store, put it on, like the way it looked, bought it, and....

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Hat and leather jacket look - it's a Natural!

The_Natural8.jpg

Hey, I don't like Big Macs therefore I'm an elitist. shakeshead

Movies good or movies bad, whatever... That's for the Moving Picture Forum.

Indiana Jones had absolutely nothing to do with my interest at first, and it is annoying to hear the IJ theme being hummed behind me as I walk through throng of low lifes and wastrels, HOWEVER, I'm very happy that some folks are obsessed. It does increase the market for hats, it does encourage vendors, some of whom have branched out and it does extend the conversation about details and quality. I even own a Raiders type jacket and a number of Federations (including a Fed IV), though I have no intention of ever dressing like Indiana Jones or pretending I'm on a whipcracking adventure in my backyard. I'll leave that to my kids.

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Also not a boy...

but every time a retro movie comes out, the ignorati start assuming that I dress vintage because of it.
Since I have been a vintage collector since 1975, this has happened over, and over, and over...again...
But I do plan to go see the new movie!

freebird

Practically Family
I blame the Rocky Horror Picture Show and trekkies..they're the ones who dress up for premiers etc. Not that I dislike Star Trek (the origional), and I have seen the first 5 trek movies, I just don't carry it to extremes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto