Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hats at London 2012

tealseal

A-List Customer
Does anyone else feel like there were a fairly large number of hats on display during the Opening Ceremony for the London Olympics?
I noticed that a fair few were of the stingy-brim variety but I also saw at least one country (can't remember who) with larger brim hats with what looked like an optimo crease, and then Spain's selection seemed to have a > 2" brim on theirs!
Could this mean something for hatwearing?

newturnofphrase

One of the Regulars
It's part of the national uniforms, usually the hats are locally made and designed to add a traditional flavor to the processions.

tealseal

A-List Customer
Definitley more hats on the athletes this time. I would guess it simply reflects the current popularity of the stingy brim.
That's what I was trying to get at, Wally. I know that athletes have had hats before, since part of the procession involves a demonstration of cultural attire. However, there seem to have been many more this year, and they weren't all stingy!
I thought it was pretty cool. Who would have made Spain's, Signes?

Grizzly Adams

A-List Customer
Definitely more hats this time, and not just stingy brims. Interesting.....

I can't say I was impressed with the berets on Team USA.....

The silk Toppers that the actors were wearing (the ones I saw) in the opening ceremony were vintage. I couldn't get a good look at any of the Bowlers.

Maybe we could trade those berets for the Slovak Olympic Team's fedoras.

slovak-olympic-team-unfiform.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy