Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hats at Work - A Photo Thread

casechopper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Doing quality control on some new D'jembe drums from Senegal.

IMG_1089.JPG

Rejects:
IMG_1097.JPG

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Doing quality control on some new D'jembe drums from Senegal.

IMG_1089.JPG

Hey, that's great stuff. Never did imagine that I'd see pictures like that here. I've been playing those for about 14 years, and teach it, among other things, at school. I don't play Senegalese djembes, though. I prefer Guinean and Malian, and have quite a few.

I just checked out the website. Nice rendition of what sounds like an accompaniment for Sunu in that first video.

I'm going to PM you with some questions.

casechopper

Hi Scotty,
I replied to your pm.
I've notices that most of the serious drummers prefer the Malian drums. The Senegalese are more decorative and still have good sound but the Mali drums are known for the best sound. We sell all of the different kinds (Ghana, Guinea, Gambia, Mali & Senegal) along with Dun Duns, Bougarabous, balafons, gankeke bells, koras, kalimbas and many other African instruments.

Last edited:

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Hi Scotty,
I replied to your pm.
I've notices that most of the serious drummers prefer the Malian drums. The Senegalese are more decorative and still have good sound but the Mali drums are known for the best sound. We sell all of the different kinds (Ghana, Guinea, Gambia, Mali & Senegal) along with Dun Duns, Bougarabous, balafons, gankeke bells, koras, kalimbas and many other African instruments.

My main drum is a Malian. I have mainly Guinean, a few Malian, and an Ivory Coast drum, too. Beautiful tones out of IC djembes.

Is there a way for you to find out the name of the rhythm Mr. Wood plays at the end of the instructional video? I can play all the parts, but have not heard of any of them in 14 years. Thanks!

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
I love this, Sam. For some reason I thought you were in IT. If I may ask, to where do you distribute? Through an African or afro Cuban company, a local percussion retailers etc.? Maybe better addressed as a pm? Just curious.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

casechopper

Hi Scottyrocks. I'm not actually a drummer. I know how to tell if they're in tune and check them for damage/improper construction but beyond the basics I couldn't tell you too much about specific rhythms. You could check with Mark Wood. I believe this is his website http://www.woodndrums.com/ He's a really nice guy and is much more knowledgeable about drumming than I.

Jeff, I was working in IT and still am to a degree but have moved into purchasing as well. I've done QC on the drums for years though because there are specific things to look for on these and it can be a pain to train the regular receiving people in what to check. We do wholesale and retail sales of products from Africa. The drums are just one small part of what we sell. If you're interested you can see what we sell at our website africaimports.com

Some Random Bloke

New in Town
I work in the funeral industry and a hat is part of our uniform. Just a basic Akubra Zephyr (woven synthetic) although I believe they're discontinued and we're replacing them with a similar model.

I'm fussy about keeping the shape and the company does encourage good hat care, but most people don't seem to care, much to my frustration.

Mine is one or two sizes too small so I'm looking forward to the replacement.

pa6y7y5y.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

casechopper

Making a test batch of a new coffee shea butter face soap
Wearing Elosegui 12" navy beret to keep hair and sweat out of my face
IMG_3580.JPG

IMG_3601.JPG

Later, loading down containers so that they'll be ready for filling tomorrow.
IMG_3604.JPG

Strapped-4-Cache

One Too Many
My Stetson Twenty adding a bit of class to my desk at work.
Could use a good cleaning and needs a better teardrop crease than I can manage to put in it, but it fits well and keeps my head warm.

96eae40b3c7e1040fb4a0078ac291034.jpg

94b6351a2d1df47610a41f640b354582.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24