Hats from Texas Department Stores

Discussion in 'Hats' started by Rmccamey, Mar 21, 2019.

1. Rmccamey

Rmccamey Practically Family

I am starting a new thread to attempt to capture or catalog Department Stores in Texas that sold what we now consider to be vintage or collectible hats, whether western or fedora or otherwise. If you have a hat with a Department Store stamp from Texas, I’d really like to see them.

I’ll start the ball rolling with this Stetson Twenty Five that came from Berman’s Department Store in Colorado (pronounced with a long A: co-lo-RA`-duh) Texas (founded in 1881). Their mother and the three Berman brothers moved to the southern part of Texas from Russia in 1905. When the brothers were grown, they moved to Colorado in 1931 where one opened a 5&10 store, another opened a grocery store, and Max opened a department store. In 1939, the town officially changed its name to Colorado City to avoid, what was then, the continual confusion of the town with the state of Colorado. Berman’s Department Store closed in 1967.

From the crown and size tag, this hat looks to be a ‘60’s model. It is interesting that it still lists “Colorado” rather than “Colorado City”. I have put out some feelers to find others who might have hats from Berman’s to see if they all have only “Colorado” printed on them, or if there might have been something special about this style or model of hat. So far I have had no responses.

Thanks in advance for all your posts and feedback. Enjoy.

New252.jpg Wand25r1.jpg Wand25r2.jpg Wand25r3.jpg Wand25r4.jpg Berman_Dept_Store.jpg

BobHufford and AbbaDatDeHat like this.
  2. TheOldFashioned

TheOldFashioned A-List Customer

Champ B-17 from Meyer Bros White House Stores:
    IMG_0956.jpg IMG_0976.JPG
    The Meyer brothers left another retailer, Foleys, after a dispute and bought out the White House Stores in 1946. These were smaller department stores in the greater Houston area. They expanded to ten or so locations over the next decade and sold out in 1959.

Entrance at one of the original locations, now a discount bookstore:
    IMG_1008.jpg

M Hatman, BobHufford and Rmccamey like this.
  3. jlee562

jlee562 My Mail is Forwarded Here

This has also been posted in the 3x thread...

3x OR, embroidered Last Drop liner
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here was a lucky Google hit on the Stripling's store:
    https://hometownbyhandlebar.com/?p=14435
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. TheOldFashioned

TheOldFashioned A-List Customer

Early 1940s Dobbs from E.M. Kahn & Co:
    IMG_1195.JPG IMG_1196.JPG IMG_1197.JPG IMG_1192.JPG IMG_1193.JPG

Founded in 1872, E.M. Kahn & Co was the oldest retail store in Dallas. At time of sale in the 1960s there were seven locations in downtown and suburban Dallas. Here's a picture of the downtown location:
    IMG_1236.jpg

5. Rmccamey

6. Rmccamey

7. Rmccamey

A hat from Hudgins Apparel in the eastern part of the state, Gilmer, TX.

Res1.jpg Res3.jpg Res6.jpg Res7.jpg Res9.jpg Res10.jpg Res11.jpg