Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hats in restaurants

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Feraud said:
No hat is indestructible. Some hats are tougher than others but they all have a limit.

But temperature is an enemy? I wouldn't have guessed that. Didn't they find intact fur felt hats at the bottom of the ocean with the Titanic? It just doesn't seem like heat would be a problem, but if you all know it is, then I will take the lesson.

Feraud

Bartender
It believe it's not the temperature per se but the combination of long term wearing (sweating into) plus heat, cold, rain, drying out, etc.
A combination of the elements mixing into and reacting with felt.
Then again I may be dead wrong on this.. lol

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
JimWagner said:
Sure, all you need is a purse to carry it in. :eusa_doh:

Most of these hooks are collapsible, and would easily fit in a pocket or a glove compartment. Whether they'd work for hanging a hat, I have no idea.

And then there's the fact that many men carry bags on a regular basis, especially those who live in cities where owning a car is not the norm.

Puzzicato

One Too Many
Hereward said:
I looked further into handbag hooks (that's a purse to you colonials) but I think they wouldn't work well for hats as, due to their lack of length, the brim wouldn't fit, and hats lack the weight to keep them secure enough.

I know very little about the construction of men's hats - do most of them have a grosgrain ribbon inside to stop them from slipping when you wear them? If so, it'd be easy enough to stitch a loop of braid inside the hat that wouldn't impede the wearing, or be visible, but would be something to hold it on the hook. Those bag hooks are fantastic, by the way. Whoever invented them deserves a medal.

Tiller

Practically Family
Still pplepic said:
As a certified Old Timer, I can remember that no men, not even young men, went to town or anyplace wearing jeans and such. The slacks may have been $6 rayon slacks, but still...and shiny shoes, no worn-down heels and you'd better have a decent haircut. Most young men began wearing hats as early as high school, and restaurants had places for your hats and coats. Most of this was in Portland Oregon, but aside from some of the most backward little spots, I think the entire country was somewhat the same. Now, when we go to a restaurant, I usually leave my hat in the car, especially if we're a group and I don't expect an empty seat for my hat.
Jeans were strictly for cowboys and factories, etc. And the time in the '40s when I bought a pair of $25 fitted gray flannel slacks, ah then is was really The Man!

Thanks for the contribution Still pplepic! All I have to go by is what I remember my Grandfather (and Grandmother) telling me about that era (and how he lived after it). It's always good to hear from someone who actually lived threw the era and has first hand knowledge of the time. :)

donnc

One of the Regulars
Blackthorn said:
Where I live it gets too hot to do that. Leaving a fur felt in a hot car in the summer would destroy it.

Yes, sounds like time to switch to straw. Like the guy in the picture.

Pera.T

One of the Regulars
Tiller said:
For those of us who enjoy wearing suits, and dressing vintage it has nothing to do with wearing a hat. Although I'd say a felt hat looks best with a suit, and quite frankly odd with some t-shirts, especially the "funny" t-shirts. As the Chap says.

When you have progressed beyond fondling girls in the back seats of cinemas, you can stop wearing jeans. Wear fabrics appropriate to your age, and, who knows, you might even get a quick fumble in your box at the opera.

I only wear the t-shirt and jean combo now if I'm doing yard work. And if I'm at the beach I just wear sunblock and trunks, and go swimming.
I didn't say people shouldn't wear suits, I was replying to the comment made that you can not wear a fedora with anything else, which I totally disagree with.

I wasn't aware that there are age limits on what fabrics you can wear, or that jeans were designed for fondling girls in, what a bizarre comment?! I'll wear whatever is appropriate for the occasion. As suitedcboy pointed out, we don't all live in the city. I spend more time getting grubby than I do at the opera.

Tiller

Practically Family
Pera.T said:
I wasn't aware that there are age limits on what fabrics you can wear, or that jeans were designed for fondling girls in, what a bizarre comment?! I'll wear whatever is appropriate for the occasion. As suitedcboy pointed out, we don't all live in the city. I spend more time getting grubby than I do at the opera.

It's a joke Pera.... I guess you haven't heard of The Chap, or it's famous manifesto.

But there does come a point in ones life when it's best to stop dressing like a teenager, at least that's what many of us in the vintage community think. Not all of course which I'm starting to think should connected as a warning label to every thread.

"Opinions inside not representative of all members of the vintage community."lol

Brent Hutto

One of the Regulars
Every time my wife sees me searching around semi-frantically for a clean, safe spot to put my hat (seated at a restaurant) she says something like "Why do you think anybody cares if you wear it while you eat?". She's probably right.

One good use for a wide-brimmed Fedora in some restaurants...it nicely blocks my view of the ubiquitous television screens, which I find very distracting from the meal and the conversation. And generally speaking it really helps focus ones gaze upon the person across the table.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Tiller said:
It's a joke Pera.... I guess you haven't heard of The Chap, or it's famous manifesto.

But there does come a point in ones life when it's best to stop dressing like a teenager, at least that's what many of us in the vintage community think. Not all of course which I'm starting to think should connected as a warning label to every thread.

"Opinions inside not representative of all members of the vintage community."lol

I think there's a time in one's life when it's best to stop judging people, especially their choice of clothing.

I'm not sure why I even opened this thread again - it's not what this lounge is about (I hope).

Tiller said:
...But there does come a point in ones life when it's best to stop dressing like a teenager, at least that's what many of us in the vintage community think. Not all of course which I'm starting to think should connected as a warning label to every thread.
I've worn Wranglers, tshirts, boots & hats since I can remember & will until I can't remember, just like my grandfather. There are fedoras & hats for casual/work/country/ranch outfits just like those for hoity-toity dress up. Get over it & get along.

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
ScottF said:
I think there's a time in one's life when it's best to stop judging people, especially their choice of clothing.

I agree with you, Scott. And it's never too early or too late to start trying. :cool2:

donnc

One of the Regulars
If "judge" means "have low esteem for" ... that's relative of course, and implies that you also hold other people in high esteem, neutral, etc.

Indeed that's a source of all kinds of trouble, maybe we should try not to. Why should someone think any better of me just because of what I wear? Progressive thinkers have been onto this for a long time, ever seen a "Mao jacket"? I think they came with a hat, too!

feltfan

Cigarband said:
That old hippie with the pony-tail is bald under that fine Panama and has no more idea of hat etiquette today than he did while stoned at Altamont.:eusa_doh: Just sayin'.
Wow, compared to this, wearing one's hat at the table is pretty tame.
Let's not slam any group of people here.

I try to keep a handkerchief or equivalent to cover the floor beneath
my seat. I have been known to request an additional cloth napkin for
the purpose. Never could figure out how to keep a hat on my knee
comfortably and keep it clean.

Sometimes I can find something to hang the hat on. I feel I am improving
the decor.

Woodfluter

Practically Family
ScottF said:

I'm not sure why I even opened this thread again - it's not what this lounge is about (I hope).

I completly agree Scott. But I did enjoy the link to "The Chap" which is very amusing. Thanks for bringing that to our attention Tiller.

What we desperately need on this and other forums is one of those "smilies" indicating a tongue deeply implanted in the cheek. Somebody work on that please.

As for hats indoors...whatever. I personally feel more comfortable taking it off, just seems right. But if it's a casual eatery and they don't give me a safe place to hang it in sight, I'll wear it and not worry about it. And I don't really worry about what anyone else does!

- Bill

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Woodfluter said:
What we desperately need on this and other forums is one of those "smilies" indicating a tongue deeply implanted in the cheek. Somebody work on that please.
- Bill

Yeah, I guess so. I'm very opinionated myself, and have to be careful about not offending people.

Woodfluter

Practically Family
ScottF said:
Yeah, I guess so. I'm very opinionated myself, and have to be careful about not offending people.

Well, I'm not opinionated! I hate opinions. I think opinions are terrible. And I get really ticked off by people who aren't tolerant. Also, if I had a fault, it would be modesty. OK, where's that tongue in cheek smilie...lol :p

feltfan

ScottF said:
I am offended by all the great size 7 1/2 hats you find.
Please stop. And let me know where I might find them.

I promise not to wear them at the table.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vladyslav