Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hats In The Car/A Newbie Question

Rider

Familiar Face
Although it depends upon the vehicle, I am 6'3" so there is a narrow range of vehicles in which I can wear a hat. I'm presently driving a Buick Lucerne. I have interference from both the headliner and the headrest. I set the hat in the passenger seat, or the back seat if the passenger seat is occupied.

Maybe I did something really, really good in a past life, seeing how I have no other explanation for why this apparently common hat-in-modern-car problem is rarely if ever a problem for me. Sedans, pickups, minivans, whatever, I can wear most any hat in most any of them without brim banging up against headrest or crown making contact with headliner.

Sam Craig

One Too Many
You don't have enough room for your best fedora against the headrest of your car?

There is only one mature reaction ... remove the headrest!:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Thank you, very much

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I wear my fedora while driving.

Brittany does not have a problem, either at least with the hat issue....;)

spears_driving_020608_01-thumb.JPG

WideBrimm

A-List Customer
Headrest or low ceiling has never been an issue with my pickup, a twenty year old Ranger. Wide brimmed :D hats fit just fine. My bald fedora covered noggin stays comfy, and well-protected against door frames :eek: And an added bonus from wearing a wide brim while driving is a modest measure of identity protection from lurking law enforcement cameras along the way :rolleyes: :eek: :D

anon`

One Too Many
ScionPI2005 said:
I haven't had any problems with roof clearance in my car. I drive a Scion tC, and have adequate hat room for all my hats.
Seriously? I barely had room for my head when I test drove a tC years ago!

I usually drive a Forester--nary a problem with headspace there. Not so much with the Malibu, but with no AC it can get a bit too breezy inside with both vents open and all four windows down, so the hat best lives on the seat next to you, weighted down.

docneg

One of the Regulars
Widebrim said:
With my Chrysler PT Cruiser, it is a problem not just with the head restraint, but with the roof.
At 5'7", I don't have as much trouble in my PT Cruiser in the vertical plane as you do. Even though I'm more comfortable not wearing a hat in the car, people seem to accept the fedora more easily if you're in that car, so I wear it more often now. Anyway, I find that even without the hat, I'm not sitting very close to the head rest.

Perhaps a vintage cervical collar would bring a lounger up to specs for safety?

docneg

One of the Regulars
WideBrimm said:
And an added bonus from wearing a wide brim while driving is a modest measure of identity protection from lurking law enforcement cameras along the way
Good point! I hadn't thought of that. Now if I just had a car that could break the speed limit...

JimWagner

Practically Family
Roof clearance in my Silverado isn't a problem, but the headrest is. I have a hat holder extended from the overhead console and generally place my brimmed hats there while driving. Looks like this:

bra60.jpg

Western hat stores carry them.

suitedcboy

One Too Many
No one mentioned the sun shielding feature of wide brimmed hats. I wear a western, 4 inch brim, hat almost 100% of the time driving. It is so effective at shielding sun. I never use the flip down sun visor and a slight tilt of the hat and you have perfect blockage that is so much more targeted than the obscuring sun visor. Also works at night.

I think in most states you'd have to put a hat on your license plate to stop camera tickets. In Texas they don't care who is driving, just who is registered owner.

One Too Many
Good driving

It´s a pleasure drive with favourite fedora, but you must choose one like doen´t bring any trouble, my car is an old 84 Mustang and can drive easy with a Borsa traveler, firenze or temple stetson and keep all security sistem

suitedcboy

One Too Many
Forgot to add:
The headrest on truck is just low enough to clear brim by 1/2 inch. On my car I modded the headrest for hat clearance. There might be a decreased protection from headrest but that would take an accident to discover. I knew I'd get neck problems 100% certain from the original headrest positioning in that car as removing the hat is not an option!

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I would never think about removing a head rest, or lowering it, just to wear a hat. It is there to save my neck (literally) in case of an accident. Last thing I would want is to leave my children without a father because I wanted to wear a hat in my car.

If I don't feel like taking my hat off (I usually don't) I tip it back on my head so the back of the brim is pointing down so it is not in the way. As for head room, I have never bought a car, and would never think of buying a car, that would not allow me to wear a hat.

My two cents worth.

Johnny

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo