Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

hats in the heat : with or without liner ?

Florida_Marlin

One of the Regulars
My hair was greasy enough by itself. I never used brylcreem, I was a Vitalis kid. Pour a little of that magical V7 into my palm, work it through my hair, and I had a nice alcohol smell to go with my naturally greasy hair. Now all I have to do is give the ole noggin a shine now and again. No more greasy hair problems

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I never wear straw. When I've worked outdoors on farms and it's been 110 degrees a wide brimmed felt hat is fine. Those outdoor workers that wear hats in the bush here wear felt country style hats with no liner but usually some vents. Skin cancer is a real risk here I find straws are not as UV blocking as 3 inch brimmed felt.

CaramelSmoothie

Practically Family
RAF pilots were known as 'Brylcreem boys' in WWII.

http://www.theguardian.com/fashion/fashion-blog/2012/apr/02/brief-history-of-brylcreem

Of course real men use Dapper Dan's :)

Thanks for this article. I used to use Dax pomade back when I was a teen but knowing what I know about hair now, that stuff is just too heavy with the petroleum and all. I feel those companies preyed on people's ignorance of what their hair really needs to thrive. I prefer what comes from Mother Nature and extra virgin coconut oil is great and smells just like coconut cake! Yummy!

I never wear straw. When I've worked outdoors on farms and it's been 110 degrees a wide brimmed felt hat is fine. Those outdoor workers that wear hats in the bush here wear felt country style hats with no liner but usually some vents. Skin cancer is a real risk here I find straws are not as UV blocking as 3 inch brimmed felt.

I heard that skin cancer is a real problem in Australia. I've never worked outdoors and am usually inside during the high heat of the summer days but when I do venture out I always have on sunscreen, shades and a straw hat...especially since I use a retinoid cream on my face, neck and chest at night which increases sensitivity to the sun.

Edward

Bartender
Different things work for different people, I imagine. I'd never remove the liner from a felt hat if it came with one - especially a lighter coloured hat. I do believe the liner can make the hat a little hotter; on the flipside, without one, a hat can stain badly from sweat which is a hassle to have cleaned, and looks bad. The only felt I wear in extreme heat (which for me is anything over 25 Celsius. The highest temperatures I have had to put up with are about 35 C in Beijing in June. I do genuinely believe I'd die if I spent a Summer in the south of spain at 45C regularly. Thus far in my life, though, I've been able to avoid going anywhere that hot. It simply doesn't interest me.) is an Akubra Riverina, which I reshaped and to which I added a pugaree (as a number of us did some years ago). It does have a liner - stained to a degree that I'm glad I kept it in there to protect that hat - but it also has a few ventilation holes, which help enormously. Other than that, I mostly wear some sort of straw (day to day, I now prefer polystraw as it copes so much better with rain), or a cotton or linen cap. I'd much rather wear felt year-round, but it's simply not an option with my inability to take heat (Hell, I find London unbearably hot for most of July and August).

Here is a hat for all you hot heads, Non la
Let's get civil, Please
http://www.amazon.com/Vietnamese-Bamboo-Palm-Leaf-Conical/dp/B00ESUOOU0
Richard

The Chinese actually still wear their version of this hat when out working the paddy fields. Surprised me when I saw it in Guilin - I'd assumed that they were a relic or a cultural stereotype, like the notion of all Englishmen wearing bowler hats. Very practical, I'm sure, though mine is strictly a wall-hanger. I've considered a pith helmet, though, for hot weather. The other thnig that can be nice on a hot morning is a felt straight from the freezer, though the killer there is they warm up again so quickly.

Last edited:

Huertecilla

Banned
The other thnig that can be nice on a hot morning is a felt straight from the freezer, though the killer there is they warm up again so quickly.

When really hot, cooling the skin too much can lead to getting ... HOTter.
When hot, the body will direct as much blood to the surface as possible to make use of the heat extraction form the surface by evaporating sweat.
When making the skin cold, cold tap water and colder, it will contract and close blood vessels, meaning that it will not reach the surface, preventing the blood from cooling.
This is a common error in horse management; hosing down a horse heated up by excersize using cold tap water. The temp. in the deep muscles can become damagingly high.

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
When really hot, cooling the skin too much can lead to getting ... HOTter.

Well, it looks like thousands of doctors around the world lack the "Hosing Down of Horses" course. Had they only attended that, they would have known, they kill a lot of patients with extreme fever!

For decades extreme fever has been treated by lowering patients into cold tubs of water. The purpose is to cool down deeper lying organs and the brain. First aid for marathon runners, struck by heat, most often consists of pouring cold water on their wrists - as main arteries are very close to the skin here.

Maybe you're quite different from a horse ... after all(?)

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Well, it looks like thousands of doctors around the world lack the "Hosing Down of Horses" course. Had they only attended that, they would have known, they kill a lot of patients with extreme fever!

For decades extreme fever has been treated by lowering patients into cold tubs of water. The purpose is to cool down deeper lying organs and the brain. First aid for marathon runners, struck by heat, most often consists of pouring cold water on their wrists - as main arteries are very close to the skin here.

Yup...According to this medical remedy for heat stroke Ole, you've got it right. When I do roofing and constuction in excessive heat, (a lot of times reaching tempratures of 100 + degrees), during the Summer months, we get out a water hose and mist ourselves down to cool off....and of course, most important, stay hydrated...

Remedies for Heat Stroke
In order to treat a heat stoke a medical health care provider will focus on cooling your body, so that it reaches its normal temperature as soon as possible. Some of the simple self-care steps that are advised in this case include:

Cold Water: It may become necessary to immerse your entire body in cold water or ice water, so that your body temperature can be brought down as quickly as possible. You could do this by sitting in a bathtub filled with cold water fir around 5 or 10 minutes. However, make sure that you are assisted by a family member or medical personnel during this time.
Cooling Blanket: If it is not possible for you to sit in a bath tub, you could warp a special cooling blanket around yourself, after packing your groin area, neck, chest and back with ice packs
Evaporation: This technique is one of the newer ones used by doctors, for bringing down body temperature. Since evaporation leads to cooling, this method can be as effective as soaking in a bathtub. In this process, some cool water will be misted on your skin and warm air will be fanned over your body, so that the water evaporates and the skin gets cooler.
Controlling Shivering: It is important to ensure that you do not shiver, as the simple act can raise your body temperature by a great extent. Therefore, in case any of the body-cooling other techniques are causing you to shiver, your doctor may give you a muscle relaxant, which reduces the shivering.
Rehydrate your Body: You need to alleviate body temperature internally and externally and therefore, it is important that you drink a lot of water. Drinking extra fluids can help reduce the risks for dehydration.

CaramelSmoothie

Practically Family
Never really thought about this subject as I avoid heat like the plague...but I gather from the posts that there is no danger from going from very hot to very cold so suddenly for the human body? I guess I'm thinking about the stories that I hear of people who have been stranded in the desert and starved for weeks who once rescued, can't go whole hog and eat a big plate of food...the food has to be introduced slowly in small portions. Or drinking something hot then drinking something cold just to have your tooth chip from the shock of the temperature change. I know that these examples are matters of the limitations of the digestive system and the enamel of the teeth, but it seems like in biology, ie, the human body and the Earth, going from one extreme to the other very quickly seems to cause problems in our bodies and even in the ecosystem....like if the temperature outside drops suddenly then you know a storm/tornado is brewing. I guess I might be comparing apples to oranges. Sorry for rambling just thinking about this:D

Huertecilla

Banned

Again differentiating is not your fuerte.

A stay in a cold tub is quite different from a quick hosing down.
As is a constant stream on the wrist where the blood is not diverted.

I share the knowledge but, by all means don´t believe it.

Read my signature lema, and... tant pis.

Last edited:

Huertecilla

Banned
Yup...According to this medical remedy for heat stroke Ole, you've got it right. When I do roofing and constuction in excessive heat, (a lot of times reaching tempratures of 100 + degrees), during the Summer months, we get out a water hose and mist ourselves down to cool off....and of course, most important, stay hydrated...

Misting is a brilliant idea as that extract evaopation heat form the skin without causing it to cool down too much and contract.

Staying hydrated requires quite a conscious effort. You will know all about it. It is not at all that easy to drink 5 litres or more of water which one can easily lose.

Combining drinking and cooling; over here the old porous earthenware drink karaffs are still in use. You put it in the shade in a drafty place. The water will be absorbed by the material and evaporate at the surface, cooling the contents. It is surprsingly effective and illustrative of how we cool our blood through sweating. The misting down is an accellerated version.

Huertecilla

Banned
Never really thought about this subject as I avoid heat like the plague...but I gather from the posts that there is no danger from going from very hot to very cold so suddenly for the human body?

Yes there is.
On the head it can cuase severe headache and when drinking it can cause serious cramps and vomiting. Cóld drinks are thus a bad choice to keep hydrated. Alcoholic beverage too as alcohol will déhydrate.
Thus a cóld beer is a NoNo.
Best is coolish water. Makes drinking enough easiest too.

CaramelSmoothie

Practically Family
Yes there is.
On the head it can cuase severe headache and when drinking it can cause serious cramps and vomiting. Cóld drinks are thus a bad choice to keep hydrated. Alcoholic beverage too as alcohol will déhydrate.
Thus a cóld beer is a NoNo.
Best is coolish water. Makes drinking enough easiest too.

I heard that drinking cold drinks forces your body to burn more calories in order to digest it, which is why I drink it, lol. I guess it is the energy to convert it to a warmer temperature for the body...i have no idea, lol.

I have experienced the cramps though. On another note, I had learned a few years ago that too much water can kill you as it throws off the electrolyte balance. A police officer in my city died a few years ago after ingesting a large amount of water after a race. I guess it's safer to drink something like gatorade to keep the potassium/sodium levels in check.

Killick

One of the Regulars
Bob of Blacksheep Hat Works does not sew his liners in so they can be removed in the hotter months.

indyhan

Familiar Face
Bob of Blacksheep Hat Works does not sew his liners in so they can be removed in the hotter months.

yep, the hat i plan to give the heat test came with a non sewn liner too, so i don't feel like i'm maiming it removing the liner (bringing the thread back to strictly hat considerations)

T Jones

I'll Lock Up

That's not a bad idea. He has some real nice looking liners. If I had one of his hats I would want to take the liner out when it's really hot so I wouldn't ruin it with sweat stains. When I convert my own hats I don't sew or glue my liners back in either just for that purpose...and they stay in place that way until I decide to take them out.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eltqt