Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hats off to a good Haircut!

Matthew Dalton

A-List Customer
Hello all, after some unfortunate technological mishaps I'm back.

For my last couple of haircuts I've been scouting around and trying new places, I've seen talk of barbers here and I thought I'd relate to you all my experience today.

I decided to try a place in a little alleyway in town today. The business was founded in 1954 but have apparently had to move to a close and quite well hidden location.

(I didn't ask but the rent prices probably forced a move, my town is littered with empty lots as the main shopping centre grows larger...)

I came in and was greeted warmly and told to help myself to a pot of coffee, which I politely declined as unfortunately I don't have a taste for the stuff. Seated I looked around to see 1950's memorabilia and some nice personal touches that give the place a fairly homey feel.

A gent of perhaps around fifty or so was seated across from me, soon another man who was a good bit older came in and seeming to know each other, engaged in conversation. Good I thought, if older gentleman frequent the place then I'll probably be dealing with staff skilled in old-fashioned cuts. Although perhaps a little rusty, as this latter man did not appear to have much hair to speak of...

I ducked out soon after as I had not allowed myself much time to get the cut, I had an appointment nearby. (A notice on one of the walls proclaims that they do not apologize for longer waits, as this gives them time to serve each customer properly.)

I came back a little later and the place was now empty, so I was lead to the chair and I explained, in perhaps slightly vague detail, the kind of cut I wanted. I mentioned I was going for a sort of 30's or 40's cut and the lady seemed to know just what I wanted; she related to me how her father (or perhaps grandfather) had something along those lines which she liked.
We talked a little and I think the conversation was much less forced as it tends to be when I get a cut. (This is probably due more to my unease around new people than a fault on their part)

They give the customer a hot towel and they shave with a straight razor, which was nice, I'd not actually been anywhere that does that.

Before leaving I was given a complimentary chocolate and a free ticket into a little Christmas Raffle they're running.

All in all I’m quite happy with the cut, it cost only a couple of dollars more than other places which do the minimum. So I would urge anyone here who goes for a cheaper or more convenient option to support small business and demand better service!

The title comes from the fact that I almost lost my Akubra to the wind soon afterwards, had there not been a guard next to the road and a bin next to that for my hat to be stuck between, it’d surely of been crushed by a car. My hat fit loose after the cut and so it flew off with much speed and little grace.

griffer

Practically Family
After years of going to the spas my wife went to, i finally had a buddy of mine cut my hair. I got exactly what I wanted, a barber cut, high and tight on the sides, side part, long in front ready for pomade.

He has since left his spa and has opened a classic, men's only barbershop.

We had the opening party last night. The place is decorated in classic 50's style, vintage benches, retro chairs, old photos covering the walls. Classic club talc and Tiger products.

He will do shaves as well, with hot towels and lather.

I am not promoting, and I am leaving the name and location out of this post.

The point I think he is doing a great thing, and it has been a blast helping him tear down and rebuild the shop. I am very proud.

By the way, I wasn't the only guy at the party with a lid, there was one other fedora, and at least 8 news boys.

I am glad he finally opened too, since I am starting to get dents in my hair from my hat- sure sign I need a trim.

Jay

Practically Family
The Best Haircut Ever

Thought I'd share my story:
So it's a Saturday morning and Steve and I finally are up early enough for most
stores to still be open. We've both tried to get haircuts for about a month now but one of us would be hungover or wake up at 5pm or both. After a while my mind and body broke down from lack of sleep and I fell into it at 9pm. On a Friday nite. You can see that this was completely out of my hands.

Back to the story at hand, for sometime we've been casing mainstreet Deland for a decent purveyor of hair cutting. We found one, but it had always been closed. Not this time. It was still only 2 o'clock. We both lit up some Chesterfields and raced down the stretch of 92 at a cool 80 miles an hour. We parked off Main and casually walked in.
1104061433.jpg

There sitting in two of the places three chairs are two older guys, one about 75 and the other in his late 50s. As we walk in they get up. "What'll it be boys?" said one of them.

"Haircuts," I reply. We sit in the chairs and they toss on aprons.

"What'll it be?" says my barber.

"Short on the back and sides." Without a moments haste he gets to work. I didn't even have to explain myself any clearer as with most "hair-stlylists."

Steve simply said to make him look "respectable."
Since Steves hair is almost down to his ears the barber replies "you guys didn't just rob a bank, didya?"

As my barber expertly trims my almost-shaggy hair I begin to check the joint out further. The floor is an intricate tile straight out of the twenties. There's two sinks directly behind the chairs. On the walls hang pictures of Elvis and Johnny Cash, both sporting flawless pompadours. There are some books laid out with titles like "Beers of the World" and "Marilyn Monroe in Pictures." These guys are clearly at the top of the haircutting profession.

Next thing I know, he's holding a mirror behind me as I face the large wall mirror.
"How's it look," he asks.

"Great," is my reply.

"Look at that point right there," he instructs me. I do and by golly, with his handheld mirror I can see the back of my own head! I notice some of the hair on top of my head falls down to where it is short, looking out of place.

"Can you blend that together?," I ask.

"I have the equipment," is his reply. He proceeds to us a pair of scissors as opposed to anything mechanical and with incredible precision and dexterity makes it flow seamlessly. "Wow," is all I can say.

In a swift motion my apron is removed and a generous amount of talcum powder is applied. The purpose of this procedure is not familiar to me but I dare not question someone versed so well in their profession.

"How much will that be?" I ask.

"11 bucks," he answers casually. Eleven dollars! This had to be a mistake I think. Never have I gotten so much for so little. I thought haircuts of any fashion would run at least 15 dollars. Naturally I tipped generously.

I walk outside and smoke another cigarette and look around town. The whole main drag is a fully functioning town. Places to eat, music stores, bars, mens clothing stores, photography shops, everything and every building is from the Art Deco period or older. I didn't think places like this existed any more.

Steve walks out. We nod in approval at our new looks and walk back to the car. We are at a loss for words.

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Matthew Dalton said:
So I would urge anyone here who goes for a cheaper or more convenient option to support small business and demand better service!

Hear, hear!

Great stories everyone. I "got my ears lowered", as they say, yesterday afternoon at the barber shop I've been going to for twelve years. I first ventured in there as a teenage rockabilly cat, thought the set-up looked old-school enough for my tastes, and knew I'd hit a winner when I asked for a Tony Curtis cut with a DA and the barber said, "No worries."

They say clothes make the man. Maybe that's true, maybe not, but a good haircut sure makes you feel mighty good!

panamag8or

Practically Family
Jay,
You were in DeLand? I'm over that way every once in a while, so it's good to hear that the downtown is nice.

The talcum powder is so that stray hairs from the cut don't stick to your neck, which can be pretty itchy under the collar.

My favorite shop here closed after the owner passed away. He had been on the Marina for over 50 years, and he and the other barber had always done me right. The second guy went to a single-chair shop, attached to an old car wash, next door to a diner/cafe from the '40's. I went Saturday morning, to get right for my wife's Christmas party. Good conversation, sports on the TV, and a good cut. Great way to spend a lazy Saturday morning.

I also have a reliable backup in case my first choice is closed, another shop open since the '50's.

Solid Citizen

Practically Family
1950's Haircut Memories

A Crewcut + Police Gazette + Confidential Magazine + Playboy = :D

SC ;)

Ah I yearn for the good old days :D

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
Jay: that was an excellent story and very well told. I enjoyed reading it. It reminded me of what there used to be a lot more of in the FL, lots of vintage adventures with pictures to boot. So come on folks, get your cameras out and get posting! :eusa_clap

Slicksuit

One of the Regulars
Great stories, guys! I fancy having my haircut by a barber as well, and I particularly like the straight razor shaves on the neckline. An excellent finishing touch to a haircut unavailable from a stylist.

As of late, I've been fancying military high-and-tight marine cuts. They work great with my hats (no hat hair), and almost force me to wear a hat in the winter! One particular barber in my local 5-barber shop exclusively gets my business, as he's the only one willing to do a razor shave to get my white walls as close as possible. The other guys won't do it because of safety concerns. What can I say...I like a little danger! :eek:

bingolittle

New in Town
...my place does not intentionally look retro...they just didnt update!....straight razor with hot lather, sports on the television,...high and tight is mentioned as much as 'the usual?'....i cant do the places that ask ' do you use a 3 or a 2?'....

adamgottschalk

A-List Customer
I have become extremely fond of my closest Broadway Barbershop on 7th and NE Broadway here in Jumptown. It's been around forever. The owner, Joan, is a great person and definitely gives the best cuts in the place, though I've never gotten a bad one, not even mediocre. I say the same thing every time (clippers on 4 or 5 on the back and sides, cleaned up on top). It's a little bit of a dive, but no one cares; they have die-hard customers, families, businessmen, weirdos like me. At the end of a cut, you get talcum powder applied with a big brush all around the neck. You also might get a vacuuming depending on their traffic; it feels cool to have a vacuum gently stroking your scalp. Though their cuts are $13, they're by far the best I've found in Portland. Also, they have a trivia question every day which takes $1 off your cut if you get it right; previous examples include "Who was Odin?" [A Norse god] and "What's Rugby, North Dakota's claim to fame?" [It's the exact center of North America.]. The younger folks in there are good "alternative" Portlanders who also give excellent cuts. Great people, great cuts. Highly recommended.

I do find that my hats fit a little looser after a cut. Most of mine tend to shrink rather quickly from moisture, etc. I use my hat stretcher for a touch-up frequently. So, the change in fit after a cut has never been all that dramatic.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran