Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hats on TV

Woodtroll

One Too Many
Browsing old episoides of Miami Vice, I ran across Willie.
In the episoide ''El Viejo (1986).''
5030C738-0EF6-483B-A599-C78B26E8AC68.jpeg.d5f577075251bd27ffa91ce93c912161.jpeg

17324042531_d0e5818bf3.jpg

MV5BNDk3Y2Y0ZjItNDQxMS00MTczLTkzYzgtMzNkYzZiMjY0ODJiXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjc5NTY0MjY@._V1_.jpg

MV5BMzg4NmI1ZDQtMmM0YS00MDcwLTg5NDktY2UwMTk5NzdlYjRhXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjc5NTY0MjY@._V1_.jpg

517ac513bd562.image.jpg

Interesting! I saw quite a few episodes of Miami Vice years ago but don't believe I ever saw that one. And Steve Buscemi too, maybe, from Boardwalk Empire?

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Mark Hall Patton from Pawn Stars' has a hat which is incredibly similar to my Stetson

View attachment 575110

it has the same telescope crown on top

View attachment 575111

The bolero style hats don't show up here every day but there is certainly a market for them and they make some great looking hats, IMO. My Gannon is similar but I curled the brim to give it more of a western flair. I also know that @T Jones can build that exact hat at a price that is hard to beat, particularly if you have a donor felt.

541210-b791257e3a90c4834c7c99c429d5e0e7.jpg

milandro

A-List Customer
Cheers @Rmccamey

I am really not so sure that my hat can be defined as " Bolero style" ( which is really the English name of what the Spaniards call " Sombrero Cordobés " ( Cordovan Hat) because that hasn't got, ever, a telescope crown.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cordovan_hat

The telescope crown is important because a hat without a telescope crown made of felt , like mine, is very likely called an Amish Hat (Mark Hall Patton certainly wears an Amish straw hat but the black felt he wears had a telescope crown like mine)

Stetson has several hats which look like my hat (Stetson XXXX Amish model)

1703953615842.png

Having had someone setting a pencil curl on the bound edge now my hat looks a bit like a Stetson Kings Row ( exept that model has a raw edge).

1703953518959.png

Cheers @Rmccamey

I am really not so sure that my hat can be defined as " Bolero style" ( which is really the English name of what the Spaniards call " Sombrero Cordobés " ( Cordovan Hat) because that hasn't got, ever, a telescope crown.

The telescope crown is important because a hat without a telescope crown made of felt , like mine, is very likely called an Amish Hat (Mark Hall Patton certainly wears an Amish straw hat but the black felt he wears had a telescope crown like mine)

View attachment 575323

Having had someone setting a pencil curl on the bound edge now my hat looks a bit like a Stetson Kings Row ( exept that model has a raw edge).

View attachment 575322

In regular use, the two styles look very similar. Most people seeing them worn won’t see the top of the crown and they will look nearly identical.

I think the telescope crown adds more character and probably more structure to the hat. Your Stetson looks great, too.

I am really not so sure that my hat can be defined as " Bolero style"…
I agree. A Bolero style in the US at least, has a very identifiable upper crown shoulder where the crown breaks over to the top. Similar to the crown shoulder of a BOP. It can be seen from any angle. Hard to get the blocking correct.

Reactions: RBH

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
My apology for causing confusion by the use of a more general term (Bolero style) instead of the more specific term, telescope or telescope crown.
Cheers @Rmccamey

View attachment 575323

View attachment 575322

milandro

A-List Customer
No apology needed, ;), I suppose there are many names for the same thing in every language.

I was just remarking that the fact that a hat has a telescope crown may qualify that, or not, among a group or other.

I like your hat , very much, and being the brim, front and back, slightly pointing down makes me call it a " gambler" although I suppose most gamblers have the pencil curl and some have a ridge on the top of the crown.

Nomenclature is hardly univocal also in shops , and , at least in the NL, few have any real knowledge of the hat's names.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner