Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hats, Sweatbands and Hair products

Sam Craig

One Too Many
C'mon you sissies!

If you want to wear a hat, get a crew cut for crying out loud.

All kidding aside, after I turned 50 I was just glad not to have any bald spots.
My barber of 30 plus years pointed out that my hair was actually getting coarser as I aged and if I intended to continue to wear a hat I should keep my hair short or else I would always be dealing with hat head ... I believe it called it a "faux hawk."

From then on, I have always kept it short and enjoyed my hats without worrying about taking it off ... so to speak.

Sam

GamaH

A-List Customer
C'mon you sissies!

If you want to wear a hat, get a crew cut for crying out loud.

All kidding aside, after I turned 50 I was just glad not to have any bald spots.
My barber of 30 plus years pointed out that my hair was actually getting coarser as I aged and if I intended to continue to wear a hat I should keep my hair short or else I would always be dealing with hat head ... I believe it called it a "faux hawk."

From then on, I have always kept it short and enjoyed my hats without worrying about taking it off ... so to speak.

Sam

Who is that in your display picture? He looks amazing in that hat. Maybe cause everyone was wearing hats back then, but it seems that everyone in that era just seemed to wear hats better. Not saying that there aren't any good hat wearers now though (John Slattery comes to mind).

73977_gal.jpg

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
I wouldn't worry too much about the effect on your hat, unless you're putting used engine oil in your hair. The lining may discolour, but that's what it's there for. Hair wax is pretty mild compared to some hair treatments.

I also have a tendency to get wretched hat hair, but now that I wear it short back and sides it isn't a problem any more. I keep the top very long, but I keep a comb in my pocket and can touch it up when needed.

HatsEnough

Banned
Well, maybe our ideas of "extremely short" vary. To me, having 1cm sides and 3cm hair is extremely short. I don't mean like army hairstyle.

Never was good with metric. My hair is never shorter than 1-1/2 inches. I only have "hat head" problems if I am wearing the hat constantly for hours on end. Then, I certainly do get mussed hair. But just running my hand thru it usually puts it back where it belongs. But if I am just out and about and putting it on and taking it off as I enter buildings, it doesn't do much mussing.

Alan-Eby

Familiar Face
I do what I normally do, I don't use anything in my hair, I comb it to my right then shove my hat on top. When I take my hat off I just run my hand threw it and I'm good to go. I do the same if I have grease in my hair.

Travis Lee Johnston

Practically Family
I get my hair cut like young Dillinger here.
large_Dillinger-mugshot.jpg

I put pomade in it. Never destroyed or discolored a hats insides. I avoid hat hair by parting it on one side. It stays pretty neat all day in spite of sweating on hotter days. No hat hair though.

IsaacRN

One of the Regulars
Hats and Hair Dressings

I have a general question for you all. I usually put Grant's Pomade in my hair. This is a water soluble pomade. Now I noticed after wearing one of my hats, the sweatband became very gunky. When I wiped down the sweatband with a wet cloth, some of the finish came off of the brown band. Has anyone else had issues with this and hats? I hate to ruin a good hat, but I would also like to keep using the pomade I am uring so that my hair is done like I prefer it.

T Rick

Practically Family
Don't know a thing about Grant's, but I found this one in the hat section on eBay. Interesting product, I don't use it every day or all over, but when I do I have not yet noticed any effect on my hats. I have the first jar in the car, about to order a second for the house, I really like this stuff (it seems to be mostly wax based, and washes out of the hair very easily, yet holds well). He does say it "It helps to soften your hat band in vintage hats", not sure exactly what effect it would have. So far, I've noticed no effect on mine (YMMV).

Thanks for the reminder, just ordered second jar for the house (so I don't have to transport it back and forth!).

IsaacRN

One of the Regulars
That is a great product of which I have. I find though that it tends to leave white flakes in my hair. It is interesting to find out that it softens hat bands.

T Rick

Practically Family
Tie mine in a ponytail mostly, and use pomade or Brylcreme sometimes on the bits that don't want to stay tied. Alos use that on the upper portion sometimes to kill frizzyness. As stated above, no effect on hats so far.

IsaacRN

One of the Regulars
One of the previous threads showed exactly what happened to my hat band. I suppose the discoloration is something I will have to live with according to the general thought of all the other posts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy