Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hats, Sweatbands and Hair products

Mr E Train

One Too Many
I swear by my own mixture of two American Crew products, Pomade and Fiber. Good hold, nice shine but not greasy-looking, and it washes right out. Plus, you have control over the balance of hold (Fiber) and shine (Pomade), because you can use more or less of either product depending on the weather, etc. I've thought about writing the company and saying, "How about combining these two products into one?", but I like controlling the mixture myself. I've never found any of their other products as satisfactory.

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
I've been using the water based pomade called BLU for maybe a week and a half now. It works quite nicely. My method is to take a dime sized amount, rub it on my hands well, and run it lightly through my hair. I then take a brush through my hair, pushing it to the side, then wet my hands with a bit of water, and adjust it. I haven't used standard pomade before, so I can't give any comparison between the two. The water based one I have is non-greasy, and very light. It does not turn into a matted down glue laminate over my hair, which I appreciate. It adds a bit of shine, but does not stand out to the point that it looks like I have anything in my hair. Everyone who saw me with it on has said they like my 'new haircut'. :p [huh] It works very nicely with hats. I tried it first with one of my plastic lined hats, and I ran some Kleenex over the liner after I had worn it for a while. Nothing. Not even a little grease on the tissue. The only problem as far as residue is concerned occurs when I sweat a bit, and wipe my brow. My hand is covered in a bit of grease, that wipes off easily enough. All in all, I'd give this an 8 or 9 out of 10, and a Hat-Safe certification.

The 2.5 oz. or so jar cost me $27 inc. shipping. As I said, I've used it every day for almost 2 weeks, and I've used so little, the jar still appears full. A little goes a long way.

Cheers,

Salty O'Rourke

Practically Family
leprechaun said:
You watch your language, young fella. This is a public market. If you want Dapper Dan, I can order it for you, have it in about two weeks.

Well, ain't this place a geographical oddity! Two weeks from everywhere! lol lol lol

Wolfwood

A-List Customer
No wash&comb for me. I just wash and go. I keep my hair short enough that it doesn't need any combing to fall the right way (pretty strong hair helps with it as it doesn't even want to go any other way).

One Too Many
I believe wich to use a hat without grease trouble is necesary a short hair, furthermore, well cleaned every day before use it, if it is not posible, the sweat and grease turn ugly any kind hat.

dwebber18

One of the Regulars
When my hair was shorter, not buzzed but shorter up top I used gel, and then moved to American Crew pomade and fiber. Haven't tried the 2 together but I still have some so I might try it out. I've started growing it out a little and found that the fiber didn't work as well as it did when short so I've recently moved to Royal Crown hair dressing. I don't use too much so its not slicked or greasy, just enough to keep it in place reasonably well, but it looks fairly natural. I've been using it for about 2 weeks and haven't had any adverse effects in a hat. Granted I'll carry my hat out to the car and then put it on on my way in to work so it has a chance to dry a little bit before I put it on.

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
What do experienced hat wearers use for grooming their hair that won't turn the inside of your hat into a grease pit over time...

I use no products on my hair at all (other than shampoo!). Lately I keep it fairly short (1-1/2 longest), but I used to have a pony tail.

GamaH

A-List Customer
Styling hair under fedora?

I usually put some wax in my hair when I don't wear a hat and have it styled.. Now I don't put any wax when I'm wearing a hat cause I don't want to ruin the hat, or get wax in it... When I take the hat off, my hair looks ridiculously stupid. What do I do? I'm sure I can't be the only male that faces this issue.

I just use Pomade under my fedora and carry a comb, a basic hairstyle would be real easy to comb back. Heck, I have a pomp and still can comb it back fairly close after wearing a hat all day.

HatsEnough

Banned
In the old days it was expected that liners would eventually be ruined by hair treatments and that is why hatters could easily and cheaply replace liners upon request. These days, we face a different problem. It isn't cheap to constantly replace liners and there aren't hatters on every corner. This is not a problem for me as I've never used hair tonics or greases, but it is a dilemma for hat wearers today, I think.

GamaH

A-List Customer
The only hairstyle I can think of that doesn't need to be styled is having it extremely short, but then I'll have to cut it every week to maintain it.

HatsEnough

Banned
Mine is somewhat short, but not extreme. I don't really have a part, though it is combed over a bit. It is sort of a messy, "almost" part, if you will. I always keep it dry and free of hair treatments. Cut about once a month is all.

cybergentleman

A-List Customer
In my limited experience, you're pretty much damned if you do, damned if you don't with this one. When I put product in my hair-mousse, gel, wax, you name it, doesn't matter, the sides become flattened down and the top becomes a huge pomp- i look like someone from the civil war era. Combing just does not make it look better. In Philly, there is the one token hat wearer on the train I see and he has a crew cut-it's short. That is the best bet.

Perhaps if your hair was cut with the sides close and the top even in length and had a lot of grease in it you could work with it....but who want's to look like Clark Gable with all that brill creme?

GamaH

A-List Customer
Mine is somewhat short, but not extreme. I don't really have a part, though it is combed over a bit. It is sort of a messy, "almost" part, if you will. I always keep it dry and free of hair treatments. Cut about once a month is all.

Well, maybe our ideas of "extremely short" vary. To me, having 1cm sides and 3cm hair is extremely short. I don't mean like army hairstyle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy