Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hats, Sweatbands and Hair products

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Too bad we can't ask this guy......:D

Shemp_howardfaceshot.jpg
Shemp_tending_bar.jpg

shemp.jpg
shemp-1-1.jpg

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Thanks for the replies. Bylcream or DAX it is then. And this look would be permanent if it weren't for the fact that the headmaster at my school is so Stalinist that he has forbidden all forms of hair gel or similar products because he is jealous as he is bold (no offence to bold people so long as they do not act like this). And sorry for mentioning politics here.

Pduck

One of the Regulars
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qrQTgQZW6k8&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qrQTgQZW6k8&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Are you still using that greasy kid stuff? Switch to Vitalis!

bobalooba

One of the Regulars
What I used when I wore my hair slicked back was Paul mitchel hair gel. I got the strongest hold available and you can reconstitute it with water if it goes wrong.
I made sure it was completely dry before donning my hat and it never stained

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
That's basically what I did recently and it worked fine. I don't like the idea of getting grease on the sweatband. I think that's one of those "period correct" things we could just as well love without.
You will get hat hair. I find that a good fluff unkinks it pretty well, without disturbing the "do". (Why do I suddenly feel as if I've accidentally stumbled into the Powder Room??? lol )

bdb71

New in Town
if you can find it Bed Head Hair glue, We used it on my son to make his long hair stand sraight on end for his schools crazy hair day, I then used it on a motorcycle ride about 400 miles and not a hair outta place looked just like I did when I left the house after I dug a few bugs out... it cures dry and doesnt leave any residue behind

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
indycop said:
Redkin for men, Polish up.
Do not use Murrays, it eats the color off the sweatband!:eek:

REALLY!? I've been using it for a while and haven't noticed that happening to my hats. How did it go wrong for you? Long period of use? Certain type of leather?

Chrome

One of the Regulars
avedwards said:
Thanks for the replies. Bylcream or DAX it is then. And this look would be permanent if it weren't for the fact that the headmaster at my school is so Stalinist that he has forbidden all forms of hair gel or similar products because he is jealous as he is bold (no offence to bold people so long as they do not act like this). And sorry for mentioning politics here.

Heh, heh

Maybe you just have to grow your hair so long on the top that it'll fall to your eyes. Then your teacher would order you to slick it back.

stephen1965

One of the Regulars
avedwards said:
I don't wish to be pedantic or schoolmasterly but I must be bold and say that surely you mean bald, like me?..

Wolfwood

A-List Customer
avedwards said:
And this look would be permanent if it weren't for the fact that the headmaster at my school is so Stalinist that he has forbidden all forms of hair gel or similar products because he is jealous as he is bold (no offence to bold people so long as they do not act like this). And sorry for mentioning politics here.
His reason may also have to do with some sense of "manliness" that forbids the use of make-up and other related items for men (in his mind). I must admit I subscribe a little to a similar school myself... :eek:

Wolfwood said:
His reason may also have to do with some sense of "manliness" that forbids the use of make-up and other related items for men (in his mind). I must admit I subscribe a little to a similar school myself... :eek:

I don't mind a bit of hair gel, so it's not sticking up all over the place, but I have to agree with the makeup and powders. Definitely a no no on guys.
coffee.gif

MattJH

One Too Many
Funny that make-up should be mentioned. I was in Brooks Brothers this past Sunday flipping through a book about how to be a gentleman for curiosity's sake. There was one section of "dos and don'ts," one of which was a strong discouragement to men wearing "pancake makeup" as it will cause stains on the collar. What this implies, to me, is that "non-pancake makeup" is perfectly fine.

Not for me!

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Just to clarify why my headmaster banned all hair gel, it was because it's a private school and some people were coming in with outlandish hairstyles and the head sumsequently banned all hair gel, not just outlandish styles. And yes, it is bald not bold but I was tired when I posted that comment last night.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy