Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hats, Sweatbands and Hair products

6StringShooter

One of the Regulars
I was wondering if any men's hair products (specifically Murray's Superior Hair Pomade) damage the sweatband (or really any part) of a mens hat...I have no experience here, but I will be purchasing my first hat in a few weeks, so I don't want to start messing it up right out of the box (so to speak)!

Last edited by a moderator:

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Well...

As long as it's your goo, what's the diff? Might discourage people who want to try it on...

Seriously, one sees a lot of vintage hats with stained up liners. Pomade may not be the culprit.

6StringShooter

One of the Regulars
Orgetorix said:
My guess is no, at least not seriously. Golden Era men wore a lot more junk in their hair than most do today.

hahahaha I wouldn't be surprised if the amount of junk in my hair is rapidly approaching what those guys had in there! lol If I don't it just flares up like this
Chaplin380.jpg

Roaring Days

Familiar Face
Really Orgetorix,
How much Goo. I always thought that today with the avalibility of hair product (gel, mousse, paste etc) that we would much more goop in our hair. I know BrylCream was big here in Aust during that time, but I dont know of much more...

Harry Pierpont

One of the Regulars
Shouldn't damage the sweat band but,... I have a vintage skimmer/ boater that I wore, (the one in my avatar), when I had some pomade in my hair once and it left a green stain on my forehead and hair. Now I use Wildroot!

Harry Pierpont

One of the Regulars
6StringShooter said:
Whoa! What brand of pomade was that?

I don't remember the brand, some we picked up at Walgreens, it also left a sticky residue in my other hats, although no green ring around my head from them. It's possible the skimmer sweatband had been "re-dyed" at some point?

indycop

I'll Lock Up
I finally grew enough hair to use some pomade so I got some Murray's that I read about in another section of the lounge. Well I noticed my sweatband on my favorite Art hat was streaked, looking like the stain just disappeared from the leather. I could not figure out what happened Since it happened once and then no more. I once again wore Murray's and then my hat and I noticed more streaking, It also seems to only occur with a little sweat also.

So if you notice some craziness with your sweatbands check whats in your hair!:rolleyes:

P7150062.jpg

P7150061.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Stoney

Practically Family
A good number of hair tonics and pomades will stain the sweatband and liner.
I'm sure that it really didn't matter much to those that used them back in the day, but I avoid both tonics and pomades.

indycop

I'll Lock Up
If I even think I am going to wear a hat I don't touch the stuff now. I know the hats are meant to be worn and I can send it back to Art at some point for a fix up. But for me at least some of my few hats are very dear to me and I just can't stand the thought of damaging them from something so avoidable. :eusa_doh:

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Almost every single vintage hat from the 40s through the early 60s that has passed through my hands,(about 50 now, and counting) has had a sweatband in very good supple condition. Maybe the effects of oils and waxes in hair products are the reason for this phenomenon? [huh]

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
indycop said:
I just can't stand the thought of damaging them from something so avoidable. :eusa_doh:

But what about those of us who just can't leave the house without Bryllcreem to tame our mane? Heck, mine looks like a brillo pad if I don't use at least a Nickel's worth of the stuff.

OTOH, I haven't had much of a problem. Slight staining of the liner in my Dobbs (which I've seen in every vintage hat I've ever handled - but that's why the liner's there, right?) and a bit of discoloration on the top of my Shantung (but who looks at the top?).

-Dave

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
How to gel your hair while wearing a hat?

I want to have my hair slicked back as I am going for a "mafia look" together with some friends of mine in a weeks time as a joke in school. Naturally I will want to wear my hat as well. So what sort of hair gelling products can be worn which will last the whole day without leaving stains on the liner as modern hair gel is likely to? I know in the Golden Era slicked back hair under hats was common, so what did people use which did not ruin the hat?

Ordinary Guy

One Too Many
Not sure exactly what the answer is, I know they used to use pomade and here is a link to a ton of pomades with peoples comments on them....

This should give you some reading to do as you weed though the replies while waiting for something here to be posted.. :)

Luke 42

One of the Regulars
Use some pomade, or DAX. You could also try Brylcreem, which washes out more easily..since you seem to do this style for just one day. Brylcreem and DAX can be found in Boots or Savers stores in the UK.

:eek:fftopic: Maybe you get to enjoy the look.. Oh, the joys of well groomed hair..the ladies like it as well;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy