Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hats, Sweatbands and Hair products

DerMann

Practically Family
Brylcreem is great, but it doesn't withstand the doffing and donning of hats throughout the day. Pomade is more resilient to being disturbed than Brylcreem, as it contains much more wax (usually).

Gel, mousse, and hairspray really don't cut it if you're wearing a hat. You will find that the agitation will cause the stuff to flake out of your hair throughout the day.

This is why I use Brylcreem, at least. It stays in your hair, and all it takes is a run through with a comb and it's perfect again.

Caity Lynn

Practically Family
Luke 42 said:
...the ladies like it as well;)

not all ;) personally if I have to compete with a mans hair I feel threatened...not to mention it seems very un-manly..and annoying when they snitch your hairspray before church:eusa_doh:

lol

EVEN-STEVEN

One of the Regulars
How to gel your hair while wearing a hat?

I'm sorry, but this is impossible. When the hat is positioned on the head, you are denied direct access to the hair, which is a prerequisite to the gelling process. I would recommend applying the gel before donning the hat. Another option would be to 1) slather the inside of the crown with gel, 2) pull the hat down over the head all the way to the ears, and then 3) transfer the gel into the hair by massaging the crown. Good luck - let us know how it goes! ;)

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Yes, I used brylcream. I tested it in advance and it worked, even with my rather short hair at the moment. It did not rub off onto the liner of my hat, only the sweat band, but for once the lack of quality of modern sweats was a good thing as nothing was absorbed so all I had to do was wipe it afterwards.

Thank you for the advice everyone.

Daoud

One of the Regulars
There are a whole bunch of threads in which this subject has been delved into INTENSIVELY, if anyone wants to search for them. In my own experience:

Gel is awful- it makes your hair seem to be made of fiberglass or something but much worse is, it makes my head itch insanely!

Mousse is a better modern-day substitute. Doesn't itch, holds pretty well.

Pomades, etc......boy, how about those little jars that cost fifteen bucks, eh?
Buy the cheap stuff- active ingredient is mineral oil no matter what the price.

Brylcreem- while not perfect, has many fine qualities as previously mentioned. Doesn't stain, smells good. Yes, you will have to constantly carry a comb and use it occasionally. It's not some ungodly polymer, like gel, and your hair will need adjusting from time to time.

Woodfluter

Practically Family
This was great...best laugh I've had all day!

As I recall the TV ads from my youth:
"Brylcream, a little dab'll do ya,
Brylcream, you'll look so debonair.
Brylcream, the gals will all pursure ya,
They'll love to run their fingers through your hair."
...(to appropriate music)

Seemed highly improbable at the time, when I had more hair than I do now. I've had the dubious experience of running my hands through the hair of women with plastic-y spray, and with greasy stuff. Yuck! Major turnoff.

That said, some of the slicked-back movie looks are cool...from a distance.

EvenSteven, you're too much!
All I can suggest is adding a hairnet.

xwray

Familiar Face
hair care vs hat care

What do experienced hat wearers use for grooming their hair that won't turn the inside of your hat into a grease pit over time...is one product better than another? If I don't put anything on my hair it looks like it was groomed with a Tesla coil when I take it off.

rmrdaddy

One Too Many
Xwray,
There have a been a couple of threads covering this topic.
My .02 is Groom & Clean. It allows me to recomb after I doff my hat and retain my hairstyle (for the most part), and I have found no greasy residue issues at all.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
If vintage radio advertisements are to be trusted, then Kreml Hair Tonic is the best product for your hair. ("...it never comes off on your hand, OR hat-band!..." one old commercial claimed).

I personally just comb my hair with water, sweep it up on top of my head and put my hat on to keep it in-place.

Sam Craig

One Too Many
Salty O'Rourke said:
I'm a Dapper Dan man!

Salty ... you da man! I LOVE that movie.

I have had the same barber for more than 30 years

A few years back ... when it became clear that I wasn't going to go conveniently bald and reached a point that I had to wear dress clothes and dress hats ... we struck a deal

I wasn't going to give up the hats, and he did not want me to look like crud and tell people he cut my hair

So I went with a nice, short ... and I mean SHORT ... cut

As long as I keep up with the cuts, the hair looks fine and the hats do too

Works for me

(And thanks for the laugh, Dapper Dan Man)

Sam

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy