Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

have you been let down by the future?

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
Marc Chevalier said:
*Sigh*

There's a 1968 science fiction movie, see, named The Planet of the Apes. And the kicker, see, is that this astronaut bloke enslaved by the apes .... well, he's riding around on a horse on a beach somewhere, see, and he runs into the Statue of Liberty, but all decayed and half-buried in the sand -- serving as painful, undeniable proof to the astronaut dude that he has been on Earth the whole time.

Please tell me you knew this, Comrade Deckardsky.

300px-Statue_of_liberty_in_planet_o.jpg

I guess those restorers did a pretty good job on her. I figured that arm would have snapped off by then.

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
All I wanted from the future is everyone in tight white polyester.

That and a little nuclear apcocalypse that creates mutants so that I can fight them and take my place as barabrian prince of the devestated future.

The future's over rated. The past is where it's at.

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
jake_fink said:

That and a little nuclear apcocalypse that creates mutants so that I can fight them and take my place as barabrian prince of the devestated future.

Amen to that last line. And we all know that polyester was overrated back in the 70's . . . lol

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
Marc Chevalier said:
*Sigh*

There's a 1968 science fiction movie, see, named The Planet of the Apes. And the kicker, see, is that this astronaut bloke enslaved by the apes .... well, he's riding around on a horse on a beach somewhere, see, and he runs into the Statue of Liberty, but all decayed and half-buried in the sand -- serving as painful, undeniable proof to the astronaut dude that he has been on Earth the whole time.

Please tell me you knew this, Comrade Deckardsky.

300px-Statue_of_liberty_in_planet_o.jpg

"NO!!!!"

It think that was the line...

Story

I'll Lock Up
jake_fink said:

Been to Haight-Ashbury lately?

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I don't feel particularly let down by the future that came to pass. I know there are still a lot of things that have yet to come to fruition. However I think of the advancements that have been made over the past fifty years, in particular the past 20 years, and I am pretty amazed at a lot of the things that have changed due to progression and technology. It seems that the pace has changed dramatically, and innovation and new technology just seems to be advancing faster and faster over the years.
No, I'm not let down. But, I am looking forward to seeing some of these new latest and greatest discoveries and technology be put to more use. I am pretty amazed at some of the drastic changes that have occurred, especially over the late twentieth and early twenty first century. I remember hearing about these changes that were supposed to occur in civics classes when I was a kid. They seemed so distant, and now here some of them are. They aren't as sci-fi as I imagined they would be when I was a kid. We don't live like the Jetsons, which as a kid, I sure was hoping for!! But still, things really have moved forward. I guess some of us might not notice it as much as others because we grew up while these changes were taking effect. I have been around long enough to see some major changes in technology and the world in general. People born in the 80's really weren't around before technology and science started it's reign, so all of these changes that I see as fascinating and pretty impressive, might not be to them.
I love talking to my 87 year old Granny about these changes. She truly is fascinated by the major differences in the world she grew up in and the world that is now. Gosh, she told me that to her, reading George Orwell's 1984 was futuristic. Think of all that has occurred since the publishing of those prophecies!

Elaina

One Too Many
My father is really hugely into Science Fiction (I'll spare you the lecture on what makes Sci Fi, Sci Fantasy, etc), but my dad is really into the more realistic stuff and as a consequence of my interest in sceince, I think I've always been a bit ahead on what the public knew, because science is not interesting to the average person.

As a reaction to that, some of the technology and science coming to pass in mainstream, I already knew about and am waiting for the stuff that they have NOW but not to the mainstream to be a part of our daily life.

When I looked at the Jetson's (which I never liked because the science wasn't there) my dad handed me "I, Robot" and then explained why things would/would not work.

I'm more fascinated by the leaps and bounds in medicine. Cancer untreated 10 years ago has a fair success rate of remission now. Radiating cancer calls is not always the first thing to do for treatment, and paitents get better quicker. Agriculture has gone from guys in the fields to these machines that can do the work of a hundred men in a fraction of the time, and they get more proficient daily...this is the stuff I looked forward to, not the flying cars. Personally, the one thing I always wanted to see was the average person go to space. The one thing I wanted in my future, and it's come to pass.

Jane! How do you stop this crazy thing?!!!

A personal Autogyro or compact airplane cannot compare with the Jetson Flying Car.

It needs to be powered by repulsor rays or something "atomic" in nature!

Cogswell Cogs or Spacely Sprockets?:eek:

Wyoming Jade

New in Town
Hold on to your hats cause you ain't seen nothing

If you want to know what the future will be like - watch Star Trek. If you really want to know, read "The Flat World, a brief history of the 21st century" by Thomas Friedman. He has a real strong grasp on the world today and where things are headed.

TM

A-List Customer
In terms of the future and predicting the future, I've always liked this quote from Ray Bradbury:

"People ask me to predict the future, when all I want to do is prevent it. "

The mini-series "Wild Palms" did a pretty good job of imagining a near-term distopia.

Tony

Doctor, Doctor, gimme the news!

nulty said:
I always thought the future would be better than the past but it ain't happenin'. shoot....

The one thing I am glad for is all of the advances in Medical technology and procedures. They can fix things they couldn't just a decade ago and what they did then they do much better now.:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Espasoner