Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Have you ever weighted your slips?

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
This is a real strange question...

My full slips just keep creeping up and end up bunched around my waist within a few steps of walking out the door. :rage:

So I end up being all parinoid about my slips and it drives me bonkers!

Have any of you ladies ever put weights in the hem of your slips to keep them down? You know, like they do on picnic tables lol Only no where near that heavy or big.

You can get small thin weights (an ounce or so) and stitch them to the inside hem of a slip. Think it would work?

Thanks,
LD

katiepickle

New in Town
As long as you have a good grip on the top so it doesn't go sliding down your legs I don't see why it wouldn't. If you bruise easily it might not be a good idea either, depending on how windy it is. :)

Tourbillion

Practically Family
I haven't weighted slips, but I have weighted jackets.

You can get curtain weights at most fabric stores, they are pretty small (weigh about a gram). If you sew a few around the hem it would keep it down.

You would totally set off metal detectors though. Just something to think about. ;)

Rosie

One Too Many
I thought this was just me and my big bum! lol Glad to see I'm not alone at least. I usually yank them down in the bathroom or close the door to my office and yank away. They stay for all of about an hour or so before I have to go at it again.

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
I have that same problem too. I remember reading an article that the Queen of Englad has her slips weighted.

If it's a static problem, you might want to try also using some of that static guard stuff.

ITG

Call Me a Cab
I wonder if you could put lead tape inside the slip to weight it down. I think whipmakers sometimes use this to weight down parts of the whip to make it more balanced.

birdiepie

New in Town
Interesting notion! I've actually weighted the hem of some skirts in the past after reading an article about such practices. I didn't use any sort of traditional weight, but instead did just as the article had suggested and drilled holes into pennies and tacked them onto the hem. (this is a sort of unorthodox practice, since "defacing" US currency is technically illegal)

The Wingnut

One Too Many
"Don't worry, they'll ride up with wear."

areyoubeingserved_1.jpg

beaucaillou

A-List Customer
The Wingnut said:
"Don't worry, they'll ride up with wear."[/IMG]

Ha ha ha!!!

Lady Day - I was actually annoyed by that very issue *today*. I don't see why it souldn't work, even if you used those tiny little bead-sized fishing weights... hmmm... *trots off to experiment*

BitterEpiphany

Familiar Face
I seem to recall actually making weight bags when i was a kid. I did a lot of plays and performances with school - which was very into the theater - and my grandmother sewed almost all of my costumes. One year, I was in two scenes, one after the other and, while one involved an easy sort of slip on slip off, off the shoulder dress in an egyptian print, the other was a full on victorian gown and, lemmi tell you, not a lot of time for changing, so we weighted my crinoline and the hem on the gown to make it easier to slip on. We used heavy wood disks (Like the kid you stick on hangers in your closet) to make it hang because the concept of metal in the hemline frankly freaked me out. You can also use plastic beads - both would be airport friendly. In the dress, I literally had a string of weights - spaced by knots - that was safety pinned in. It was a little ridiculous but it really did make it easier to get that thing on over my head as quickly as possible.

epr25

Practically Family
What if you could use tablecloth weights? They are usually cute littel animals, shapes, and colors. They would be made to be attached to something to begian with so I would think they would work well. They weigh about the correct amoutn too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner