Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hawaiian shirts and fedoras

DocMustang

One of the Regulars
Yeah, I said near the beginning of this thread that Hawaiian/Aloha shirts and felt are incongruous.....[huh]

As a perpetual wearer of Hawaiian shirts, I must disagree. I wear hawaiian shirts year round in all climates from the freezing cold of a Detroit winter, to the heat of a balmy Florida summer. I wear felts durning felt season and straw during straw season. It all depends on the weather. When I was in college and med school in Michigan I would often commute and walk around campus with high gorge v-neck cashmere sweater over my hawaiian shirt(and under my jacket or coat). Once I got to the library or study center, which was often kept at a rediculous 80+ Degrees F the sweater would come off, and get put into my bag. One does not wear straw in a Michigan Winter.

Similarly, If the temperature is between 65-75 degrees I feel perfectly comfortable in short sleeved shirt and at those temps a felt works fine.

Cliffnopus

One of the Regulars
Nothing to see here, move along....

Depending on the weather! Today was a sunny, crisp New England day with temps in the mid 60's.....so felt it is. When the temps get around 75ish the Milan comes out almost exclusively; but as long as it stays cooler......

smhawshirt.jpg

Bright sun kinda washed out the black (and colors) of the shirt but you can see the deeper colors in the shaded portion.

Cliff

T Rick

Practically Family
This is where you lost me..........:p

Well, Winter can get pretty gloomy here in the Motor City... actually, that sounds like a good way to cheer things up!

Then again, what I did this year worked pretty well. Found employment down at the tip of the Florida peninsula, leaving here on Feb. 5th and returning just this week.... :D 85 and sunny most of the time I was there. Bought a couple borderline "Hawaiian" shirts myself, and the Panamas that Bob diverted from my home address to the hotel in Homestead came in very handy too!

Oldsarge

One Too Many
I have a collection of top drawer Hawaiian shirts and I can't imagine wearing them until the daytime high reaches 80. To each his own, of course, but that's Panama weather as far as I'm concerned. Until that kind of heat hits, I'm still in jackets and shirts with or without tie.

Bruce Wayne

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Depending on the weather! Today was a sunny, crisp New England day with temps in the mid 60's.....so felt it is. When the temps get around 75ish the Milan comes out almost exclusively; but as long as it stays cooler......

Bright sun kinda washed out the black (and colors) of the shirt but you can see the deeper colors in the shaded portion.

Cliff

What kind of hat is that?

kaosharper1

One Too Many
Yeah, a panama goes better with a Hawaiian than a felt fedora. Felt is for coats and ties or bein' out inna woods.

Depends on the temp. But I have to admit that my personal opinion is that a light colored felt looks better with a Hawaiian shirt if one is going to wear a felt. And a lightweight felt is OK as well.

Lando

Practically Family
5842713015_b33777c47d_b.jpg

Optimo and Hawaiian Festivity for my daughter's 8th grade graduation ceremony. I find that once the temperature hits 65, I switch to my whiter hats and Hawaiians shirts till it gets cold again. I use to not like the whiter hats when I was younger but now I love them through the summer. I would love to be able to wear a panama but I end up sweating so much I warp them completely. Doesnt anyone else have that problem? Is there a fiber that's better for withstanding heavy sweating? Till then, white hats.
Awesome shirts and fedoras by the way. Where does everyone get theirs, or do you just randomly pick them up along the way? We have a Tommy Bahama outlet store nearby and I end up shopping when they put their huge sales on just before father's day. Wait a minute, that's sunday. Got to go.

That shirt and hat look great on you, Lando. I love the dark trim in contrast to the light color hat. Tommy Bahamas has nice shirts, Reyn Spooner are nice too, but pretty expensive. Maybe someone will get you a Tommy Bahama for Father's Day?

Your daughter looks lovely, too.

Sam Craig

One Too Many
Looks to me like it was last June that we all considered Aloha shirts and fedoras ... and that's TOOOOOOO long to wait!

Three things ....

I've got one of the last Willow Green Squatters on its way and a silverbelly CD coming after that. They are begging for some Aloha time before it gets too warm.

The bright shirts are starting to hollar my name from the back of the closet.

And it hit 70 here yesterday. Looks like Al Gore was right after all.

Put them together and it's time to start thinking tropical again!

Sam

Sam Craig

One Too Many
61 here again today .... Man it's hard to hang on.

They say we could see snow by the weekend and a lingering cold spell.

Dang!

I know it's going to make me wish I'd popped out some Alohas this week.

What about down South?

Sam

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21