Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hawaiian shirts and fedoras

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Good afternoon. The high today has been 75'F. Perfect summer weather for wearing a Kamehameha Hawaiian polo shirt and my newly cleaned 50's Stetson Stratoliner.

IMG_5606-S.jpg

Cheers, Eric -

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
I posted this picture in another thread but I'll post it here as well. Here I am sporting my Akubra Squatter and wearing my recent $5 dollar Kamehameha Hawaiian thrift store find. hatophile recently bought one just like it. Now we're twins! I also have a vintage Hilo Hattie on the way...

ji3w.jpg

mikepara

Practically Family
Here's what I was wearing today, though the hat got left in the car, it was warm but wasn't sunny enough for it.I was at my computer before going out and took a couple of quick snaps with it, hope they are good enough to make out the shirt, it's an old 'King's Road' make. The Straw is a St.Michaels Genuine Panama or so it says. Photo on 2013-07-24 at 09.41.jpg Photo on 2013-07-24 at 09.41 #2.jpg

Lando

Practically Family
Adventurebilt Beaver Fedora and another Tommy Bahama. Damn do I have too many TB hawaiians lol. Granted, I have other kinds as well, but I really do like the silk they make these out of. Adventurebilt feels light as air on my head, which is great for this weather. Too hot and too humid. I love me some hawaiian shirts, but man do I miss the cold months.
9383514499_bbd56cac26_b.jpg

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Adventurebilt Beaver Fedora and another Tommy Bahama. Damn do I have too many TB hawaiians lol. Granted, I have other kinds as well, but I really do like the silk they make these out of. Adventurebilt feels light as air on my head, which is great for this weather. Too hot and too humid. I love me some hawaiian shirts, but man do I miss the cold months.
9383514499_bbd56cac26_b.jpg

That's a great look, Lando!

All these are nice.

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
Good to see you here Alan, I love your Leghorn and it's a fine Hawaiian shirt accessory.

Nice posts JT, Eric, TJ, mikepara, Lando, and Madura5. Keep em coming. I'm temporarily out of service but I've been prowling Ebay again for some new additions to my closet. Ebay is a hazardous place when you have too much time on your hands.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
GHT I noticed you have what appears to be a very nice watch on, what kind is it?
Alex, it was remiss of me to overlook your post with regards to my watch. I do apologise.
There is a Swiss watch maker that makes authentic reproductions, called Stauer. This link will take you to their website.
I particularly like the jewelled movement, as opposed to the modern quartz crystal. That and the fact they are authentically reproduced in every detail. I was impressed that you noticed.

Here's the latest shirt that a regular customer ordered. I know he will love it, he specifically asked if I could find a material with prints of old planes, what's more, the print was a one off, so the chances of his shirt being unique are pretty high.

Here are some of the details: Pattern matching breast pocket.

Horizontal button holes:

We have had, I say we, my wife has had her own designer labels made, I use them too. Most of the input is her's anyway.
"Honey, how do I do so & so?" "Oh you just thread it through like this, and then you......" You get the picture?

Just as an aside. How do you guys define a tropical shirt? By design? By material choice? By being Hawaiian? Do you have any sort of criteria?

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Identifying Authentic Vintage Hawaiian

Alex, it was remiss of me to overlook your post with regards to my watch. I do apologise.
There is a Swiss watch maker that makes authentic reproductions, called Stauer. This link will take you to their website.
I particularly like the jewelled movement, as opposed to the modern quartz crystal. That and the fact they are authentically reproduced in every detail. I was impressed that you noticed.

Here's the latest shirt that a regular customer ordered. I know he will love it, he specifically asked if I could find a material with prints of old planes, what's more, the print was a one off, so the chances of his shirt being unique are pretty high.

Here are some of the details: Pattern matching breast pocket.

Horizontal button holes:

We have had, I say we, my wife has had her own designer labels made, I use them too. Most of the input is her's anyway.
"Honey, how do I do so & so?" "Oh you just thread it through like this, and then you......" You get the picture?

Just as an aside. How do you guys define a tropical shirt? By design? By material choice? By being Hawaiian? Do you have any sort of criteria?
This may help in identifying an authentic Vintage Hawaiian shirt....Design, material, and "Made in Hawaii" are certainly indicators of authenticity...

http://soundfoundation.hubpages.com/hub/How-To-Identify-Vintage-Hawaiian-Shirts

http://napualaniscloset.blogspot.com/2009/10/how-to-identify-true-vintage-hawaiian.html

http://gohawaii.about.com/od/toppicks/tp/hawaiian_shirts.htm

http://leahlefler.hubpages.com/hub/Vintage-Hawaiian-Shirts-How-to-Find-Maintain-and-Store-a-Piece-of-Hawaiian-History

BTW, thanks Mikespens for the compliment and good hunting with your Ebay search my friend.

Last edited:

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
GHT, the "tropical" shirt is hard to define, certainly more difficult than a "Hawaiian" or "Aloha" shirt. In the context of vintage there are definitely rules but as seen in these posts, a lot of leeway is accorded. We are living in a modern world. Personally, I would be afraid to wear a true vintage shirt for fear of ruining it so I tend to stick to modern repros. The style has been around so long it can't help but to have evolved with the times. To me, it's a lightweight, short sleeve, open collar, button up shirt with a flat bottom meant to be worn untucked in warm climes. As far design themes, the sky seems to be the limit these days. My 2 cents to your inquiry.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff