Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hawaiian shirts and fedoras

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
Talbot said:
What is the story on the shirt? It takes a toe hold and cuts from the heel.

Two thumbs up!

It a vintage Kamehameha circa 1938. This print is usually called the "gauguin shirt" because the design of the print was inspired by the art of the French impressionist Paul Gaugain. It's part of a matched "wedding set" I own (which consists of a shirt and dress).

Here's a picture of me in another one of my favorites (alas with no fedora, however). It's a reproduction of a 1950's design by the awesome Japanese label Sun Surf made by Toyo Enterprises (who also make Buzz Rickson I think):
IMG_0465.jpg

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Guttersnipe said:
Here's a picture of me in another one of my favorites (alas with no fedora, however). It's a reproduction of a 1950's design by the awesome Japanese label Sun Surf made by Toyo Enterprises (who also make Buzz Rickson I think):
IMG_0465.jpg

I love the vibe of that one, Guttersnipe.

Cheers,
JtL

pdxvintagette

A-List Customer
Guttersnipe said:
It a vintage Kamehameha circa 1938. This print is usually called the "gauguin shirt" because the design of the print was inspired by the art of the French impressionist Paul Gaugain. It's part of a matched "wedding set" I own (which consists of a shirt and dress).

Here's a picture of me in another one of my favorites (alas with no fedora, however). It's a reproduction of a 1950's design by the awesome Japanese label Sun Surf made by Toyo Enterprises (who also make Buzz Rickson I

As he says, he owns the "wedding set" because I can't fit the dress yet! We'll see who owns what if I should ever slim down so far. ;) The set looks REALLY impressive together.

Goose.

Practically Family
Two Things Ya Most Likely Won'e See Me Wearing

Got this shirt some time ago on the Big Island of Hawai'i. It was something I thought was the most horrendous I've seen and had to get it. Family hated me wearing it around...which only encouraged me ;)
Was gonna wear it on the trip home, glad I didn't. This lady wearing a muumuu of the same pattern was on the same plane. I think that would've pissed her off.

And this Hampton. Always wanted one. But I can't pull off the narrow brim gig. Lookin' like Mr Potato Head. Bummed.

486204540_NY3nA-S-1.jpg

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Goose. said:
Got this shirt some time ago on the Big Island of Hawai'i. It was something I thought was the most horrendous I've seen and had to get it. Family hated me wearing it around...which only encouraged me ;)
Was gonna wear it on the trip home, glad I didn't. This lady wearing a muumuu of the same pattern was on the same plane. I think that would've pissed her off.

And this Hampton. Always wanted one. But I can't pull off the narrow brim gig. Lookin' like Mr Potato Head. Bummed.

486204540_NY3nA-S-1.jpg

That's a contender.

Woodfluter

Practically Family
HarpPlayerGene said:
Somewhat :eek:fftopic: but here goes:

Some friends of mine had pink yard flamingos and their next door neighbor buddies used to always joke with and at them about it. One night, the neighbors stole all the flamingos and spread around pink feathers everywhere from a boa they scored at a costume shop. In the morning the owners of the yard decorations saw a veritable scene of a massacre! :eek: lol

Ha! Great story Gene.

Now if they'd placed a rubber boa constrictor amongst the feathers, that would have constituted a subtle pun.

I like Hawaiian shirts. If you take your appearance very seriously, they have a very serious drawback in the realm of kitchiness and poor taste. If you are a very silly person, that makes them kind of wonderful. The fiddler in our band often wears tie-dye, and I compensate with Hawaiian. To kind of balance things out.

- Bill

1OldGI

Familiar Face
carter said:
Ranks right up there with body painting in the SI Swimsuit Editions.
51jDZ94DWpL._SS500_.jpg

I think it looks much better on her than it would on me, my painted on hawaian shirt would have fur (a grateful dead shag carpet)lol I've told my wife, when I day have me skinned and layed out in front of the fireplace.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana