Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hawaiian shirts and fedoras

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Goose. said:
Got this shirt some time ago on the Big Island of Hawai'i. It was something I thought was the most horrendous I've seen and had to get it. Family hated me wearing it around...which only encouraged me ;)
Was gonna wear it on the trip home, glad I didn't. This lady wearing a muumuu of the same pattern was on the same plane. I think that would've pissed her off.

And this Hampton. Always wanted one. But I can't pull off the narrow brim gig. Lookin' like Mr Potato Head. Bummed.

486204540_NY3nA-S-1.jpg

Could you please type a little LOUDER? Had a hard time hearin' you over that shirt... :rolleyes:

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Woodfluter said:
Ha! Great story Gene.

Now if they'd placed a rubber boa constrictor amongst the feathers, that would have constituted a subtle pun.

I like Hawaiian shirts. If you take your appearance very seriously, they have a very serious drawback in the realm of kitchiness and poor taste. If you are a very silly person, that makes them kind of wonderful. The fiddler in our band often wears tie-dye, and I compensate with Hawaiian. To kind of balance things out.

- Bill

It's somewhat of a regional thing too, in some instances. I've lived in Florida most of my life. If I was still in Detroit, I might not even think about these kinds of shirts but here they are the dress of the day for most people most of the year. I mean, you don't stand out unless you are NOT wearing one.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
OK, well the flowery shirt thing really backfired on me the other day. I bought another one from among a rack of mens shirts at one of my favorite thrift stores. A couple of days later, when I tried it on, I realized the buttons were on the wrong side!!! :rage:

I told Nicki and she had no compassion at all. Now she's having a ball telling all our friends that "Gene's a cross-dresser".

Har-de-har-har.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
HarpPlayerGene said:
If I was still in Detroit, I might not even think about these kinds of shirts...

Oh, I think not, my friend. You'd be hangin' with me on the Motown luau circuit...:D

48OR.jpg

Cheers,
JtL

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
jimmy the lid said:
Oh, I think not, my friend. You'd be hangin' with me on the Motown luau circuit...:D

48OR.jpg

Cheers,
JtL

Did you bring that plant outside just for the picture? You'll give it climate shock or something. :eek:

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
IC, Jimmy and Freebird, I'm liking your dark colored shirts with floral patterns. I'll be looking for something along those same lines the next time I see the islands. Those are sharp, gentlemen.

freebird

Practically Family
BobC said:
IC, Jimmy and Freebird, I'm liking your dark colored shirts with floral patterns. I'll be looking for something along those same lines the next time I see the islands. Those are sharp, gentlemen.

Thanks Bob! Sounds like a good idea! I wish mine were from somewhere other than Walmart. :eek:

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
OK, you guys, you got me going. As soon as the weather gets decent (please, God, please!) I'm pulling out my collection. I like wearing my panama with my haleakala kahuna tiki liki kapulua wahiniloa puakua ikiliki puhuana shirts. I have a general rule to never spend more that $10 in a Hawaiian shirt, and I find some cool stuff in that range. My tastes lean heavily to the over the top gaudy. I particularly like shirts with ocean liners or Pacific Clippers on them. Or woody station wagons. I'll post soon with images.
La Medecine recently posted a great thread about Hawaiian shirts. Seems they started over a hundred years ago with the Japanese laborers in Hawaii. They would take old kimonos and other elegant silk garments, that had become too worn out to wera in their original form, and cut them out and make them into shorts for field wear. So the oldest H. shirts would have been silk, even tho we tend to think of the true classic shirt as rayon. Think what gorgeous magnificent material must have been recycled, then worn to threads, a hundred years ago.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24