Headwear to go with our jackets

Discussion in 'Hats' started by Will Zach, Sep 12, 2020.

1. Will Zach

Will Zach One Too Many

Couple of interesting posts recently from @navetsea and @Monitor on how headwear may affect the whole ensemble, including the jacket. So I am starting this thread. Bartenders - this is very different than the Hats thread, so I hope you keep it here. Which cap is your favorite? Me being folically challenged, it's the old beanie when the weather cools! Warm and goes with literally all my jackets. Thoughts and ideas welcome!

navetsea and jonesy86 like this.
  2. jonesy86

jonesy86 My Mail is Forwarded Here

Hats go with jackets?

3. MichaelRhB

MichaelRhB Familiar Face

[​IMG]

Zombie_61, Bushman and Boyo like this.
  4. jonesy86

50s Stetson Quality Nutria with a FiveStar Leather goatskin Freewheelers Sunset knockoff.
    IMG_1767.jpeg

5. mihai

mihai A-List Customer

Interesting topic and surprisingly not so much debated. I was thinking also to ask the same question.

As for me I usually wear some tweed caps with my jackets. I've been wearing models similar to the ones below:
    https://www.villagehatshop.com/photos/product/giant/4511390S441498/alt/441498.jpg
    https://us.stuartslondon.com/images/hatteras-silk-newsboy-cap-brown-p23646-225044_image.jpg
    https://www.hatsbythe100.com.au/med..._harris_tweed_ivy_cap_-_navy_4.1592970288.jpg
    https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0908/9866/products/6842501-317_1024x1024.jpg?v=1584351785

However recently I got two 50's police/Brando style caps. Caps are manufactured(states made in USA) by New York Hat Company, the first is cotton/leather trim and the second is wool/leather trim. I think they go better with the biker jackets as well as military jackets. It's something different than what is worn on the street in continental N-W Europe but I don't care. I like them. They are great for the price paid (60$ per piece). True you have a better one from Bill Kelso but 6-7x more expensive. Way above my means.

Attached Files:

• cap1.jpg
      cap1.jpg
      File size:
      264.4 KB
      Views:
    • cap2.jpg
      cap2.jpg
      File size:
      154.8 KB
      Views:
  6. Turnip

Turnip Practically Family

The hats I had to wear so far

M62

[​IMG]

Sailor Hat White

[​IMG]

Sailor Hat Blue

[​IMG]

Board Cap

[​IMG]

Cheers

Turnip

Last edited: Sep 12, 2020
  7. regius

regius Call Me a Cab

Not a jacket I made, it’s the master’s Mojave, in Shinki by GW.

Attached Files:

8. jonesy86

GW Mojave in Shinki! Ya don't see one of those very often.

deadlyhandsome likes this.
  9. navetsea

navetsea I'll Lock Up

I'll limit myself with that one greek fisherman cap... much easier to wear here, not too far from common baseball and cadet cap. in my country the sun is right on top of our head and we are dark haired, it should be logical and practical for people to wear hat here but it is not that popular maybe since it is trapping heat from our head unless the hat is very breathable like farmer conical hat or perhaps panama hat, or trucker cap with 3/4 mesh.

10. jonesy86

GW Arcadia with a 50s Borsalino. 477B5B8F-FAE8-4431-8D27-106F51D5CB74.jpeg E0C38C5F-22D6-493D-9273-E598C05C8F8B.jpeg

11. TheOldFashioned

TheOldFashioned One Too Many

I started out in the hats section and eventually wandered over into the jackets portion of The Lounge by way of the Classifieds after picking up a barely used Aero 30s half belt here. It's been a slippery slope ever since then. I personally find the half belt easiest to pair with my hats since it's a classic, conservative style:

(Borsalino | Stetson)
    IMG_3452.JPG
    (Brodt's | Dobbs)

My Vanson, Cal, and Kehoe cafe racers (not shown) are the hardest to pair with my hats. It often feels like I'm forcing them to work together:

(Vanson + Borsalino | Cal + Mac Lachlan)
    IMG_3458.JPG
    (Golden Bear + Champ | Suede + Stetson)

The Golden Bear and suede, though, I think work more for a rockabilly or western vibe, as does the Lee denim:

(Sears | Wolfbrae)
    IMG_3453.JPG
    (Dobbs | Grady's)

More often than not if wearing a hat feels forced I'll opt for a cap instead. I only have a couple, linen for warmer weather (though usually no jacket then) and wool for cooler temps. Here's my flecked wool Monsivais cap in a cream/oatmeal color, which I think is versatile enough to pair with either black or brown:

IMG_3456.JPG

12. AbbaDatDeHat

AbbaDatDeHat I'll Lock Up

Love em all J.
    Especially with your Son!!
    B

jonesy86 and TheOldFashioned like this.
  13. IMG_0003.JPG IMG_0002.JPG

From several years ago. IMG_0015.JPG

14. jonesy86

IDHats custom brown herringbone linen leather brim newsboy, with a cow hide Chinese Freewheelers Sunset knockoff.

IMG_1715.jpg IMG_1717.jpg

15. Very nice unique combo jonesy..!!

jonesy86 likes this.
  16. jonesy86

Thanks HD. It was about 80 degrees F. when I took this photo on the beach. LOL

17. jonesy86

GW Cowhide Bronco A-2, with a Stetson Stetsonian. 4D935D62-9607-49AA-8F79-FA3AC45F513A.jpeg
    17AAFCBC-CB0F-428D-A6A8-BAAE595AD286.jpeg
    A8D76C21-DC5B-4E26-8CD2-1465A2867979.jpeg
    24CD35B7-336B-40E9-BC30-2CDEF122653F.jpeg

18. Turnip

Turnip Practically Family

Getting colder, time for a bonce warmer...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Boyo and JustinW like this.