Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Heather and Yon...

seabass

Call Me a Cab
Daniele, Steve & Alan
Thank You all so much for the posts & wonderful detailed pics of your excellent hats......
Alan the Dobbs CC is a pure treat !
Gracias
che

seabass

Call Me a Cab
Black Sheep hat works

232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv33339%3Enu%3D37%3C9%3E996%3E9%3C9%3E28%3B%3A996%3A%3B%3A25%3Aot1lsi

232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv3%3A678%3Enu%3D37%3C9%3E996%3E9%3C5%3E28%3B%3A996%3A%3B625%3Aot1lsi

:cool:

For my money, Bob is making the most interesting hats in the custom market today. Kudos to the hatter and the inspired collaboration. :eusa_clap

navarre

Vendor
Wow Alan, thank you for the compliment. It is threads like this one that really inspire me. Some of the hats you guys have are just aweome!

I am currently working on a pounced blue heather that was directly inspired by this page. Perhaps it might show up here in a week or two.

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
Thanks fellows fascinated by the "multicolors" felts.
This is the second contribution, the rest when I will get out the felt hats now stored for the summertime.
You are right Alan I have to remove the basting stitch from the Flechet, but I let this work to the next owner.
The hat is tagged my size (60cm.), but unfortunatly it is too wide for my head so it is for sale.
Seabass I like your Black Sheep creation and mostly of their production
Steve the Mayser Velour "Talpa" is astonishing.
Navarre I'm glad this thread is an inspiration above all because you show us more chanches to finish the felts, even if, as you kown, in EU these felts are more common.
Alan I remember the comparision of heather felts, but see it again is pleasure.

Ottmar Reich German made
1537myp.jpg

It is marked "Mohairette", so it seems made in mohair that is a wool from Angora goats.
33u6agi.jpg

I have some doubts because this felt is one of the most puzzled in my hands.
10nucm1.jpg

No one here in Italy agreed to clean it for several reasons and it is now a "sitting" hat on the shelf.
Tirard French made
a1u7bb.jpg

A very beautiful felt in brown shades
2hqtlp2.jpg

It is a special one in my collection for the smooth finish
vo32wm.jpg

The ribbon matched the felt in a very elegant way
eqt5q1.jpg

tommyK

One Too Many
Daniele, that "Mohairette" is very unique. What a great mix of colors. Makes me want to give wool hats more respect. Mayser has also shown some great vintage wools.

These are wonderful additions, Daniele... thank you!

And as an aside, I am loving seeing a thread started by JTL at the top of the forum. Good wishes to you Jimmy, wherever you are.

I have had a few hats that have similar felt to Daniele's OR "Mohairette". I will ask a friend in Germany about the fur content. I think it's difficult because they commonly mixed wool and fur. Also used raw fur with processed fur and so on.

I received this feedback.

"this felt is a melange of different colored wool or fur fibers (you can't see it on the picture). Mostly they were mixed with some synthetic fibers for special effects ...
It was popular in Germany in the sixties and seventies for sporty, casual hats. The finish looks like "rauhhaar" or "stichelhaar" (different word for the same meaning)."

Last edited:

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
"this felt is a melange of different colored wool or fur fibers (you can't see it on the picture). Mostly they were mixed with some synthetic fibers for special effects ...
It was popular in Germany in the sixties and seventies for sporty, casual hats. The finish looks like "rauhhaar" or "stichelhaar" (different word for the same meaning)."

Thank Steve for the informations about the Ottmar Reich.
Your German friend confirm what the Italian hatters suspected: the felt was mixed with synthetic fibers and they do not want take the risk to compromise, in the cleaning, the felt and hat.
I had this reply from both the hatters I enquired and from a woman specialized in cleaninh felts.
I have some pictures of the Reich and I will post them in the next days.

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
This is the answer to Navarre with a surprise.
Ottmar Reich "Mohairette"
2j1muti.jpg

Size is 59 cm. Crown is 10 cm. (4 inches) and brims 4.5 cm ( 1.77 inches)
20s9lxf.jpg

It needs a TLC and a work on the linen detached
4vkayc.jpg

Here the marks on the sweatband
2dvvfi1.jpg

ml0ewx.jpg

The particular ribbon is 4 cm. (1.5 inches) and brims finished with the same material.
Bird's-eye view to see the particular composition of the felt
xg9x6q.jpg

A small overview of a hat Cervo called "king loden" implies that there is a component in felt made with wool.
ephauq.jpg

It is a medium light felt with shades of grey and beige
200e2c6.jpg

The hair is medium with very little nuances
ic94co.jpg

Seen from above to complete the texture of the felt
nl77g7.jpg

tommyK

One Too Many
Absolutely stunning hats, Daniele! Whatever the felt composition. Makes one wonder how hats may have evolved if they hadn't fallen out of general use by the masses.

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
You are right Tommy, but what I like more is to chase vintage hats to see where they push the limit without we know the existence of that kind of finishing, felts and so on

Daniele, Thanks for the additional photos of the O.R. "Mohairette". Also the Cervo "King Loden"!

I agree it's very interesting to see different vintage felt types and finishes. They add to the mystery!

Hückel (Weilheim) Hückel's Clipper. I have come across a number of these Hückel's Clipper hats and they always have the same form, a black, gray and white mix with different long hair finishes.

"Soleil"

5405487529_1306e9dff9_b.jpg

5406087894_a676be3132_b.jpg

"Melé"

12364930143_ded388c880_o.jpg

No Finish Mentioned

13059314454_161c0b11e6_c.jpg

13058989125_516a2f467e_c.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members