Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Heavy CXL question

GW KY

Practically Family
I find thick leathers soften when warm, and stiff when cold. Obviously.

Does heavy cxl eventually soften with wear and heat? So it even is soft when cold.

Or the heavy stuff is stiff and rigid forever? No matter the wear and heat.

Given wear and time, CXL will soften up enough to feel soft even when exposed to cold. Quickly, at that. But it's easier to break it in during warm-ish days.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
CXL FQHH is a tough nut to crack. I've owned several and my only one currenlty (the Indian Ranger) is showing tons of teacore all over now - microcracks in the top coat). It's interesting but it's not smooth and supple like, say, Vanson Competetion Weight Steerhide (from pre 2000's at least).

I had a "Storse" Bootlegger of the very heavy varity years back now that I sold off that never did soften up - even warm, really warm. It also never had much smell, or character. But it was a concrete block of a jacket. I even owned it twice!! See if here if you want to check it out: (again, long sold off)

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/aero-oddly-heavy-cordovan-bootlegger-size-44.103053/

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab
Maybe once the wax burns off. I'm going to start hanging my Aero Sheene in the 105 heat and see what happens over the next couple weeks. I've got great color and creases from about 75 wears and getting it wet a couple times, but yeah, if it's a degree below room temp, it's a tortoise shell to wear.

Modified_last_call

Familiar Face
Chromexcel is so stuffed full of oils and grease that it won't ever get much lighter.
Hell , the initial use was for motor seals on trucks and tanks.
It does fold, soften, and crease.

GW KY

Practically Family
I actually hung the HWY in the back of my SUV to bake in the heat for the next few months. I grabbed it the other day from my cool basement and it was stiff as a board, heavy on the neck. I love the style and fit, and can deal with the weight if it softens up with heat and wear.

I have a pair of thick italian butt engineers that were brutal at first, but have slowly started to break, and are very comfortable when warmed up a bit.

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab
I’ve decided that CXL is not for me.
The stuff they used on Vanson Commando and Schott 3-16 A2 is dreamy. I think it's Lux, but they refer to it as CXL. It definitely ain't the kind of CXL I've seen from Aero. Very thin top coat, stiff at cold temps but nowhere near the usual CXL, good evolution and wearability.

But that being said, I've had some variations with the Aeros. My blue CXL racer was softer and more pliable (not as good as the Lux, but pretty good for CXL). Not as much color variance though. The brown has beautiful color evolution, but pretty much a piece of armor. My natural Ridley I had was somewhere in the middle. So not sure if it's a question of wearing it more and breaking down, or if each batch has its pros and cons.

I agree that batches vary, but I’ve had many Aeros and sold ‘em all in favor of hides that aren’t as laborious to wear. Can’t argue that they look great though.

GW KY

Practically Family
I agree that batches vary, but I’ve had many Aeros and sold ‘em all in favor of hides that aren’t as laborious to wear. Can’t argue that they look great though.
Shinki is pretty for sure, Vicenza not so much for me.

The cxl looks so good and ages the best for me. I've had success with boots, but I agree the jackets are a tough go at heavy weight.

I have boots in CXL, and they sure scuff easily. Every time I wear them I end up with the Blackrock and horsehide brush buffing them out.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
CXL becomes more pliable when it's warmed up. But it is still not as soft as most other hides.

The upside of the CXL is the finish and feel in hand. It will continue to shine naturally even when it ages and turns brown. Most leather just turn dull and matte as they age. The CXL downside is the pliability. CXL doesn't need much TLC to keep it shiny, but it needs the extra time to warm up.

If you are going minimalist and keep only one leather jacket then CXL is not the winner. But if you going for two plus leather jackets please let one of them be CXL. You won't regret it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112