Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Heel Height: Packer vs standard work /chucka height??? 2" vs 1"

John J

Familiar Face
Good Afternoon Boot wearers.

thanks for the help with my other thread.

I'm really liking the looks of many of the packer Boots I see on line. they look great

BUT: Will I hate The taller heel? I've always worn standard 1" inch heels on shoes and boots , seems like packer style run a 2" Cuban or straight heel. I know there are roper styles with 1 " heels But I haven't seen any on line that look nice !! the wolverine 1000 mile and the redwings ive seen are not offered in wide sizes (at least from the sites I've seen)

all the lace up ropers I saw had real thick rubber soles. many of the packers had half sole or composite that looked functional and dressy enough.

heel height is the concern. (I have good knees still)

I can see where the taller heel is a plus while Logging / and moving on rough terrain But Ill be mostly on pavement and these will be polished up. my hiking boots have 1" heels.

any knee or leg issues with taller heels that you've experienced?? My shoe guy can shorten or re heel a quality boot but Id rather not spend the $$50 -80 to get the heels reworked if I don't have to.

many thanks

"John"

Last edited:

de Stokesay

One of the Regulars
I see no reason at all why 2" heels would wreck your knees. The most important factor is if the heel height works with the last, in general. Most of my shoes (all proper leather-soled dress shoes, no runners) have about a 1" heel but my Whites Semi-Dress boots have the taller cuban heel. The bigger difference is that I feel taller in the Whites but there certainly is no issue with my knees and I would likely notice as I have had knee problems in the past.

If I were you I'd to to a workware store or better yet, a western store, and try on something with taller heels. Even walking around in the store, if there are issues you will know.

Hope this helps.

de Stokesay

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Go to the RedWing Heritage Site... look at the various Beckman's. There are stores in the City where you can get fitted. If you go north of there stores aren't so easy to find. I found one but they knew less about their offerings than I did. I was NOT impressed. I'm looking at going with Rancourt & Company or Whites...

Worf

I have Ariat & Justin lacer roper, neither with rubber soles
http://www.shoebuy.com/ariat-heritage-lacer/446929/951162?cm_mmc=googleproductads_pla-_-none-_-none-_-{keyword}
http://www.sheplers.com/Mens/Mens-C...28077&ef_id=UkNJ2gAABe1HK0C8:20131023164333:s

I discard kilties. The issue with 2" heels isn't my knees but my ankles.
2" heels were for riding = catching the stirrup. That is why Packers have them, working cowboy/guide in saddle all day...
When on the ground they put weight forward to the ball of your foot.
Roper heels are for being on the ground, why most horse show folks wear them cause you spend 10% on the horse, 90% ground work.
Designed for calf ropers who jump off a horse & run down to throw & tie for speed = can't risk turning an ankle with high heels.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have Ariat & Justin lacer roper, neither with rubber soles

I discard kilties. The issue with 2" heels isn't my knees but my ankles.
2" heels were for riding = catching the stirrup. That is why Packers have them, working cowboy/guide in saddle all day...
When on the ground they put weight forward to the ball of your foot.
Roper heels are for being on the ground, why most horse show folks wear them cause you spend 10% on the horse, 90% ground work.
Designed for calf ropers who jump off a horse & run down to throw & tie for speed = can't risk turning an ankle with high heels.

Thanks, good explanation of heel height etc. I knew that the heels were to catch the stirrup, but hadn't considered the other stuff. I wear ropers at work (in Oklahoma in an office) but most of my better (and much older) boots are 2 inch riding heels with cricket cruncher toes.

Later

frussell

One Too Many
Another thing to consider is that if you have someone take some of the heel off, you may mess up the overall dynamic of the boot. I hate tall heels, because like Mr. Dean, I spend more time on the ground when around horses, and the tall heel does not do well in desert sand. I had a great shoe repair guy take down the heel on some buckaroo-style boots a few years ago, but the rest of the foot was designed to accomodate the taller heel, so they always felt weird. The front of the toe wanted to point up like Aladdin's slippers. Just a heads-up. Mr. Dean is right, there's several companies that make leather-soled, low-heel laceups. I've got some nice Justins and older Chippewas that fit your description. Frank

Jimmy

New in Town
You can order Wesco Packers with the MP toe which has a standard low heel. I think those are the best Packers around.

John J

Familiar Face
Whats Up Worf,

I forgot about Rancourt In Lewiston Maine.

I actually lived down the street from where their shop is now back in the 80s before I moved back to Schenectady NY.

They do Nice work and prices are same as any other better quality shoe. USA made in Maine,

Bass shoes and Sebago shoes were made in Maine back in the late 80s too, All made in china now.

Id rather spend a few extra $ with a small shop like Rancourt than spend close to the same with a major mass produced brand.

I did go to the Redwing Shop in Clifton park NOTHING!

many thanks

'John"

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner