Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help dating hat?

Rabben

New in Town
Yesterday I walked into a thrift shop that I regularly visit. And this day they had a hat for sale (which is a seldom sight). I got the hat cheap together with some other stuff. And of course I am curious about the age of the hat, and was wondering if anyone in this highly qualified forum could help me? :p
The hat has a colour I certainly never have seen before, it looks like a mix of brown and some green.
It is not in mint condition because, believe it or not, some people think that hats are made for being used during painting. So, are there any suggestions on how to remove spots like these, too?
The sweatband says "Wilson, established 1872. Finest fur felt, made in England".
The liner says "Joseph Wilson and sons Ltd. London" and "Factory Denton England"
Thanks for any help :)

Mr E Train

One Too Many
I'd guess 50's, but that's just a guess. The liner's seen better days, but that is a nice looking hat.

EDIT: I take that back, the liner looks OK. I was looking at the low res image on my iPhone. The color of what looks like a plastic protector made me think it was really sweat-stained.

jwalls

Vendor
Mr. E Train

Re your avatar; I didn't think anyone else remembered "The Singing Brakeman".:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Mr E Train

One Too Many
jwalls said:
Re your avatar; I didn't think anyone else remembered "The Singing Brakeman".:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Been listening to him since I was 9 years old (about 30 years now). I'd say his music was the first I ever "connected" with.

The hat looks late-'40s/early-'50s to me. But, you know, that's just a kinda educated guess.

There's a lot to like in those photos. It looks like a higher-end hat.

As to the spots ...

It's paint, you say? And not bleach? If it is indeed paint, there's hope that it didn't penetrate the felt so deeply that it couldn't be sanded out. That spot on the edge binding is another matter, though. I doubt you'd be able to get rid of the paint without doing real damage to the ribbon.

But it looks like the hat could use some sprucing up anyways. A cleaning and blocking and a new band ribbon and edge binding could turn it into a fine specimen.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
The details do indeed point to the 40's or 50's. The russet brown sweatband, the bound edge on the brim, the protective material on the liner at the crown. Very similar to many American made fedoras from the same era.
A member from the U.K. would probably be better able to estimate it's age though, as it is a brand that was, ( or still is?) made there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou