Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help Finding Winter Coat for My Daughter

OneEyeMan

Practically Family
So, my daughter has a new job in Philly and has to walk from the train station to her office.
She's finally, realized that her stylish winter coat is not up to the task of real cold protection.
So, I'm trying to help her find something both stylish and warm.
I first recommended a nice wool overcoat.
But she doesn't want the hassle of having to brush hair and lint off of it all the time to keep it looking nice.
That made me wonder; is there a wool that doesn't attract lint and hair?
Personally, I love my vintage pea coat for its warmth and style, but it does attract things.
She wants a parka or trench coat style, in black.
Honestly, I don't think she really knows what she wants other than something warm and stylish.
Let's try to keep the price below $300 or so.
Thanks for any help in advance.
Lenny

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
My wife has long hair and loves wool and felt overcoats and never seems to have problems with too much hair on her coats. I'm no expert in this field but one thing I would say is that if your daughter has a good figure get something that is waisted - in other words it goes in slightly from the bust to the waist and then flares slightly out from the waist down. My wife won't go near anything which isn't waisted and flatly rejects anything that isn't, so apparently that might be an important feature to consider.

You might be better off posting this in "The Powder Room" section here as that's where most of the ladies post and I'm sure they can give you better advice than my meagre suggestions!

OneEyeMan

Practically Family
Thanks guys.
I'll cross post it in the Powder Room too.
Peacoat, do you have any specific suggestions on a Herringbone?
I have no clue as to brands, sites, etc to start looking.
Lenny

OneEyeMan

Practically Family
So, my daughter has a new job in Philly and has to walk from the train station to her office.
She's finally, realized that her stylish winter coat is not up to the task of real cold protection.
So, I'm trying to help her find something both stylish and warm.
I first recommended a nice wool overcoat.
But she doesn't want the hassle of having to brush hair and lint off of it all the time to keep it looking nice.
That made me wonder; is there a wool that doesn't attract lint and hair?
Personally, I love my vintage pea coat for its warmth and style, but it does attract things.
She wants a parka or trench coat style, in black.
Honestly, I don't think she really knows what she wants other than something warm and stylish.
Let's try to keep the price below $300 or so.
And please be specific with links, brands, and styles as I have no clue where to start.
Thanks for any help in advance.
Lenny

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Something in thick grey Harris tweed. I have a Margaret Howell coat made of it, and it stood me through many winters.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
You might be better off posting this in "The Powder Room" section here as that's where most of the ladies post and I'm sure they can give you better advice than my meagre suggestions!

The above suggestion is the only one that makes any sense since the female brain functions completely differently than the male's. :D

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
The above suggestion is the only one that makes any sense since the female brain functions completely differently than the male's. :D

Thanks Fanch. I have given up trying to understand how these things work ;) Although my wife has an uncanny ability to pick what looks good on her.

To the OP, leave it to the ladies in "The Powder Rood" section, they'll see you right - far better than a bunch of blokes (which are all that inhabit the Outerwear board)!

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I love Mark Twain's quote that would apply to both the Outwear and the Powder Room: "Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society."

CaramelSmoothie

Practically Family
Eddie Bauer down coat hands down, in my opinion. Keeps me warm on the most brutal of days and nights. I dress modern, not vintage, so I couldn't recommend a vintage coat with the exception of vintage furs.

Peacoat

Bartender
As Sloan noted, a tweed would be an excellent choice as well as the herringbone I suggested. I have had tweed in the past, and they don't collect much lint either.

But really, with daily use of a two sided fabric brush, this lint business becomes a non issue.

Aerojoe

Practically Family
real cold protection.
So, I'm trying to help her find something both stylish and warm

Stylish and warm, real cold protection for women, long tested;

Eskimo_woman_by_Lomen_Brothers,_ca._1915.jpg

What!

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
I have a Sterlingwear Peacoat in a nice gray herringbone. It isn't as heavy-duty as my vintage Navy peacoat, but it is plenty warm and looks great. Everyone in my family (me, the wife, and 3 daughters) has a peacoat. A timeless piece of clothing.

OneEyeMan

Practically Family
Well, she went to Macy's yesterday and got a nice Calvin Klein down coat.
It was on sale, and she had a gift card so it only cost her like $100.
I was really psyched to do some major research and find her the perfect coat too.
But, she's flying to Chicago tomorrow and really needed it NOW!
Oh well.
I must say, the Eddie Bauer stuff looks amazing.
I haven't looked at them in years as I thought it was all cheap fashiony type stuff.
Guess I was wrong.
Thanks for your help anyway folks.
Lenny

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner