Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help for picking fountain pens

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
The Myth of Pens and Planes.

I took my Cross Apogee with me to Phoenix this weekend and I am happy to report that it didn't leak one bit. I wrote with it on the plane as well. There and back, and it didn't spill a drop. :)

nerdator

New in Town
I can only agree. I have two Mont Blancs - one fountain pen (with cartridges), my wife gave it to me, it is definitely my everyday workhorse at work, very reliable, and one big Meisterstück ballpen I carry around in my jacket, snug in a black Mont Blanc leather case she gave to me, too...

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
My every day, every use pen is a Cross Townsend with a medium nib. At some point I'll replace it with a fine nib, which fits my handwriting better. I have a Waterman, but it needs a new nib (I think it's in the laws of physics that fountain pens must land nib down :( ). I also have a vintage Shaeffer which has an excellent nib, but the resivior needs an overhaul.

Between the Waterman and the Cross, I prefer the Cross. I like the weight in my hand, and the balance.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Nick D said:
My every day, every use pen is a Cross Townsend with a medium nib. At some point I'll replace it with a fine nib, which fits my handwriting better. I have a Waterman, but it needs a new nib (I think it's in the laws of physics that fountain pens must land nib down :( ). I also have a vintage Shaeffer which has an excellent nib, but the resivior needs an overhaul.

Between the Waterman and the Cross, I prefer the Cross. I like the weight in my hand, and the balance.

Your Waterman can likely be repaired. I had one that was dropped and slid across a floor into a door frame nib first.

It was repaired quite perfectly for a modest price.

Prairie Shade

A-List Customer
Pig Tails in the Ink

I can remember when we were required to use fountain pens in Elementary Scholl to write. Seems unusual now doesn't it? I have a black Waterman that I like very well. But, if I were wealthy, I'd want a Mont Blanc Diplomat. They are top of the line IMOP. Have fun!!!

nerdator

New in Town
these are my mont blancs (so far ;) )

the silver fountain pen for work, I use it every day:

mont_blanc_fountain_silver_02.jpg

mont_blanc_fountain_silver_01.jpg

the black Meisterstück ballpen with the leather case, I carry it in my jacket every day, even if there is a day off:

mont_blanc_penwrite_01-1.jpg

mont_blanc_penwrite_02.jpg

moustache

Practically Family
I think Omas and Visconti provide the best value.IMHO.Italian pens,to me,are the best made for the dollar.Here are a few of mine.

Omas Paragon and Milord,one with fine pt and the other an italic.And also an Omas Extra 620.

oc2.jpg

My Visconti family of Van Gogh's.At a price of $135 to $220,i feel they are the best.A delightful nib!!!

vggc2.jpg

My Stipula Etruria and Signum Nova.

ss1.jpg

Love those Italians!!

JD

Both my Italians, the Stipula Venti Due (22) & my Visconti Van Gogh were chronic dry line writers or actually non writers. Both needed adjustment after adjustment. Finally the Van Gogh is a good writer with a line wet enough to stay with me unless i go really fast. The Stipula took surgery, replaced the feed and nib but still is fairly dry, prone to skipping at speed.

Others have had better luck than I.

moustache

Practically Family
John in Covina said:
Both my Italians, the Stipula Venti Due (22) & my Visconti Van Gogh were chronic dry line writers or actually non writers. Both needed adjustment after adjustment. Finally the Van Gogh is a good writer with a line wet enough to stay with me unless i go really fast. The Stipula took surgery, replaced the feed and nib but still is fairly dry, prone to skipping at speed.

Others have had better luck than I.

A shame John,as i have never had an ounce of problems with any of my Italians bar a dry issue with a Visconti that was taken care of.Been good pens.
Maybe next time i hope.
The Stipula 22 was notorius for problems that we have discussed to the ends of the earth on the Fountain Pen Network.Stipula have since corrected that and now count their nibs as one of the best.

JD

Xandros

New in Town
I've tried a lot of fountain pens over the years, and to me nothing compares to a Mont Blanc Meisterstuck. I've had mine for over 20 years and use it every day.

Regards.

TarHeel1911

New in Town
I'm coming to this thread really late, but I've got to put in one more vote for the Waterman Phileas as a great "starter" fountain pen. I say "starter" because once you have one, you'll want more!!

For daily use, I carry the Phileas, or one of my Pelikan 600s. Pelikans are great pens, and I like the way you can get the same pen in different sizes.

Also have a family heirloom in the collection-it's a Shaeffer "Balance" lever-fill model which belonged to my great-uncle. I had it refurbished a few years ago for only $35.00! The nib is a little fine for my hand, but it writes very nicely. Mostly it's on display on my desk at home.

Dagwood

Practically Family
Just came back from Disneyland. Who knew it sold fountain pens? Got the pen below for only $15.00.

b_181744.jpg

panamag8or

Practically Family
I don't think anyone will ever be able to convince me that a new pen is better than my old Parker 51, or my old Sheaffer.

4drymartinis

New in Town
Ink Cartridge Suggestions?

Broke down and treated myself to the infamous Phileas Waterman today...in blue, since the red I was craving seems damn near impossible to purchase anywhere in person. I find myself liking the medium nib that came with it, but I absolutely LOATHE this so called "black" ink that is a watery, muddled, mess of gray even on the whitest of papers.

Is there a cartridge brand that's would work sans problem w/ this pen that is a TRUE "jet black" color?

Ugarte

A-List Customer
4drymartinis said:
Is there a cartridge brand that's would work sans problem w/ this pen that is a TRUE "jet black" color?

Get yourself some Noodlers Aircorp Blue-Black and load up the cartridge adapter.

Mark

Spats McGee

One Too Many
4drymartinis said:
Does Private Reserve come in cartridges? I have to admit that: (1) I usually use the converter for my Phileas; and (2) I don't use black ink very much. However, the Private Reserve inks that I use always have nice color to them. In the past, I have used standard cartridges in my Phileas without problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran