Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help for picking fountain pens

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Today I bought a Parker Sonnet fountain pen in red lacquer. I'm very happy with the way it writes. It has that feminine yet art deco look that I was looking for.
I saw a beautiful Mont Blanc called the Greta Garbo. It was on sale for a mere $450, which was a good price considering it was originally $850. I just can't imagine spending that kind of money on a fountain pen, but it sure was beautiful. I also tested out a Lamy that I liked a lot, but it only took ink from the well, it didn't have a converter. I like the converter option, so I chose the Parker.

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Do you mean it only takes cartridges? The converter is what lets you used an ink well or bottled ink. I thought all Lamy pens let you use cartridges or the converter. Not all the stores stock the latter but they're easy to obtain online.

binkmeisterRick

A-List Customer
The Parker Sonnet is a nice looking pen. Glad you found something that suits you! I know what you mean about travelling with ink, though, or at least on planes. Anyone know the current rules for taking fountain pens or ink on a plane?

magneto

Practically Family
binkmeisterRick said:
The Parker Sonnet is a nice looking pen. Glad you found something that suits you! I know what you mean about travelling with ink, though, or at least on planes. Anyone know the current rules for taking fountain pens or ink on a plane?

Someone on the alt.collecting.pens-pencils group recently reported they had no security trouble flying *within the US* with FPs -- but other countries such as AU explicity forbid them as carryon, so check if you're going international. I'm positive bottled ink would need to go in checked baggage :( I suppose you could fill up one of those plastic "travel bottles" with ink and label it "scalp treatment" ;)

binkmeisterRick

A-List Customer
It doesn't take much to get addicted to fountain pens. The Charleston is a neat looking pen. I like it. I can think of another nifty yellow pen, but it's a challenge finding the old ones in good color. Oh, have I mentioned my recent obsession with the Parker Duofold lately?;)

FedoraGent

One Too Many
Sounds about right...

binkmeisterRick said:
That might actually work for me. "Excuse me, folks, I need to redraw some of my hair.";)

It could be listed as cosmetic for those needing to draw on hair, eyebrows or moustaches. Look at it this way, even Michael Jackson needs crayola or ink to redraw his face after a couple of days.

Jon

binkmeisterRick

A-List Customer
No, I think he just has a machine which presses his face back in place. Bubbles operates it for him.;)

So... as my addiction would have it, the fine gentlemen at Pen Haven will be putting together a vintage crescent filler for me soon. These guys are great. They have customers who drive cars more expensive than a house, customers like me who DREAM of owning a house, and everyone in between. They know my current budget range, so every now and again they can piece a pen together for me from parts (though my recent Duofold Jr. acquisition is all original) and provide me with a great writer which looks fantastic and works beautifully.

There is something good to be said about pen shops who are more than happy to work with their customers and to welcome new folks in, helping them grow into the hobby one pen at a time. Hemingway, like I told you last night, if you ever come down to the D.C. area, I'm taking you to Pen Haven.;)

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
binkmeisterRick said:
Hemingway, like I told you last night, if you ever come down to the D.C. area, I'm taking you to Pen Haven.;)
Thanks, bink, I am sure I'll get down there sooner or later. It was much easier when I lived in Philadelphia. Still, it is a wonderful city and I haven't seen it in about 10 years.

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
Hemingway Jones said:

I just bought a Waterman Charleston in that nifty Yellow color. It writes beautifully and I am very pleased with it. Plus, I really like the nifty yellow color. ;)
That's a beauty! Well today my first fountain pen arrived. A black Phileas-it came with a blue ink cartridge and a converter which I intend to try later with black ink when the blue runs out- I'm pleased to say that it works great. I am a bit nervous about putting it in my shirt or jacket pocket having heard too many stories about leaking fountain pens. Perhaps most are exaggerated (I hope!).

McPeppers

One of the Regulars
as for leaking theres a funny little trick I began using, saved my shirt once or twice. I tuck my fountain pen into the cap of a fat Sharpie. Its like its best friend now lol.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Sefton said:
That's a beauty! Well today my first fountain pen arrived. A black Phileas-it came with a blue ink cartridge and a converter which I intend to try later with black ink when the blue runs out- I'm pleased to say that it works great. I am a bit nervous about putting it in my shirt or jacket pocket having heard too many stories about leaking fountain pens. Perhaps most are exaggerated (I hope!).
Thanks for the kind comments.
Don't worry, my Phileas has never ever ever never ever leaked onto a single item of clothing, ever, ever, ever. So don't worry.

I do get those random and inexplicable spots of ink on my fingers sometimes, but I think that is just how it goes with fountain pens.

Bespoke

New in Town
I have given...

Phil said:
I do love fountain pens, they add a touch of class to what I write and they just feel more classy. Anyways, I was hoping I could get some help on selecting a practical fountain pen. Right now I have a Scheaffer fountain pen. It has a plastic body, a nice nib with a fairly even ink flow. I like it, but I feel like I am writing a symphony with a crayon sometimes. I can't afford a very fancy one, but I am looking for a practical pen that can last me for a while. So, I'm open to your suggestions and pointers.
...several Watermans as gifts over the years and I've yet to hear a discouraging word from any of the recipients. More than once, for a special gift, I spent a bit of extra time comparing several models from several vendors in the $50~$100 range in search of the model portraying the best overall "hand" and flow. The Watermans have always stood out above all the rest.

As an aside, I would add (for those of us whose writing...er, penmanship, makes the hardiest fountain pen weep) that there are a number of websites dedicated to teaching the script-impaired (like me) how to produce the written word in a form worthy of the finest nib. I can't vouche for the effectiveness of such instruction, but if anyone here has direct experience I'd love to hear your story.

binkmeisterRick

A-List Customer
Unfortunately, it's near impossible to find lessons and tips for lefties compared to the abundance of information for people who insist on using the "other" hand. What's more, I'd be surprised if there even WAS instruction for left-handers during the Golden Era. Most likely said instruction started off with a smack from a ruler and a teacher telling you to switch hands.

McPeppers

One of the Regulars
binkmeisterRick said:
Unfortunately, it's near impossible to find lessons and tips for lefties compared to the abundance of information for people who insist on using the "other" hand. What's more, I'd be surprised if there even WAS instruction for left-handers during the Golden Era. Most likely said instruction started off with a smack from a ruler and a teacher telling you to switch hands.

Well you gotta remember... if yer left handed you are a minion of the Devil :p

lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elzbthy