Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help for picking fountain pens

moustache

Practically Family
John in Covina said:
Some pens also dry out quickly and for me here in Southern California the Desert air means low-low humidity. I often have to dip my pens into a jar of water to rehydrate the nib to get the ink flowing again.

Also some inks are better flowing than others, for dry line problems Private Reserve Tanzanite ( A purple color) is regarded as one of the most "lubricating" free flowing inks going and is recomended as a dry line fix if you can't get the nib feed adjusted.

I gave the guys at Laban an article on nib adjustment recently but it is a matter of finesse that they haven't mastered yet. FYI, they get their nibs from Bock in Heidelberg who supplies Bexley and about 22 different pen companies with nibs, so I am quite sure those are good. Again I think its a feed nib relationship thing which usually takes the hands of a "master" nib guy to get right.

Tanzanite is a delight to use.We have used here in our household for a long time.Very fast drying.Colour is splendid as well.
When a pen like Laban costs between $30 and 75,it just isn't worth the hassle of always dealing with the nib.Maybe an expensive pen deserves that but i'm only on this earth so many years :p :p

My Signum and Van Goghs work delightful!As do my Cross,Tryphon and Conklins.Never a major problem.

JD

binkmeisterRick

A-List Customer
John, don't think I'm trying to bash you or Laban, because I'm not. It's just I've had poor luck with this pen. I had the nib adjusted before I left the shop since it was skipping when I tried it out. If I use it as a dip pen, it works fine enough, though any wetter or thicker and the line would be too broad for my tastes, ayway. As for humidity, since Washington, DC was built on swamp land, I don't think that's an issue.

I'm the type that if I get so much hassle from a pen, especially after trying various fixes, I simply won't use it, regardless of the brand. Maybe the Laban just isn't a good lefty pen. Again, it looks nice, but I need reliability pretty much from the get-go to sell me on it. Many vintage pens have me sold because after decades they still perform beautifully, more so than many new pens I've tried. Truth be told, there are few modern pens that even interest me. I think part of it is that I just don't feel I should have to pay a lot of money for a pen that needs a cartridge or converter. I'd rather spend the cash on a vintage pen that comes pre-equipped. I'll drop the dough on a vintage Duofold, but Parker's new "Duofolds" do nothing for me. Maybe I'm just picky. I'm sure I am.;)

So far so Good, for me.

moustache said:
When a pen like Laban costs between $30 and 75,it just isn't worth the hassle of always dealing with the nib.Maybe an expensive pen deserves that but i'm only on this earth so many years :p :p JD
In this I am spoiled, the Fountain Pen Shop in Monrovia is a 15 minute drive away and I am there often on a Saturday so it is simple for me to get things done by Fred. (Plus I usually get to sit at the master's work bench watching the work get done.) The measured eye, experience and the right tools usually brings a good resolution within minutes of disassembly.

I have 2 Laban pens with ink in them a Mento and the Kaiser ivory, so far no problems other than drying out between use, again a dip in some water and I am on my way.

Sincerely!

binkmeisterRick said:
John, don't think I'm trying to bash you or Laban, because I'm not. It's just I've had poor luck with this pen. I had the nib adjusted before I left the shop since it was skipping when I tried it out. ;)

It happens! I am wondering if the feed is misformed since they are cast not cut to shape. Laban has a lifetime warranty, so you could ask them to replace it with another pen of equal value.

I had purchased a Pelikan Epoch that leaked because the feed was not formed correctly in the casting, Fred dealt with it and pelikan sentt a new feed so Fred could replace it. That was a quick fix once the feed came in.

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Leaky Pelikan

John in Covina said:
I had purchased a Pelikan Epoch that leaked because the feed was not formed correctly in the casting, Fred dealt with it and pelikan sentt a new feed so Fred could replace it. That was a quick fix once the feed came in.

I know what you mean about Pelikan and leaking. My Pelikan M in ocean blue is leaking gobs of ink. I'm so disappointed, for this is one of my favorite pens. It's under warranty, and I have found a place to send it to to have it fixed. But, needless to say, I'm sad about this. I have a few other Pelikan's that I'm having no problems with. But this particular pen, which I had bought in Venice, is one of my favorites. It wasn't leaking in the beginning, so I'm not sure if I did something to cause such distress. But, it's pretty bad. Ink comes out of every part of the nib. I can still wright with it, but end up with ink all over me and the paper. Hopefully it won't take too long to fix it, and that it is a simple fix, covered by the warranty.

moustache

Practically Family
Daisy Buchanan said:
Hopefully it won't take too long to fix it, and that it is a simple fix, covered by the warranty.

I hope all ends well.When an item has such value,it is distressing to find it damaged or defective.I have no doubt it will be resolved.
I still have yet to purchase a Pelikan pen.They have not had the right colour or style to my liking as of yet.But when they do,i will most certainly do so straight away.

JD

Daisy Buchanan said:
Ink comes out of every part of the nib. I can still wright with it, but end up with ink all over me and the paper. Hopefully it won't take too long to fix it, and that it is a simple fix, covered by the warranty.

On Pelikans the Nib and feed are seperate pieces but they screw out so the nib can be replaced. Perhaps the feed is a little bit unscrewed and loose.

Sincerely,

binkmeisterRick

A-List Customer
moustache said:
I still have yet to purchase a Pelikan pen.They have not had the right colour or style to my liking as of yet.But when they do,i will most certainly do so straight away.

JD

That's my feeling, too. I've been mighty impressed with how the Pelikan writes. Daisy, try what John recommends. Get a paper towel or cotton cloth around the nib and try to tighten it a little. I had the same problem with an Esterbrook, but since their nibs screw in, all it needed was a bit of tightening and that did the trick.

Daisy Buchanan

binkmeisterRick said:
Pelikan is about the only modern pen I'm considering. I like their filling mechanism, too. And no converters!:p
I love all of my Pelikan's, except for that darn leaky one:(
I like the filling mechanism's too. They also hold a lot of ink. You can find a lot of them on ebay for pretty good prices.

Daisy Buchanan

John in Covina said:

On Pelikans the Nib and feed are seperate pieces but they screw out so the nib can be replaced. Perhaps the feed is a little bit unscrewed and loose.

Sincerely,
That's what I thought, unfortunately it's not. Believe me, I did everything in my power to stop it. I don't want to have to send it off somewhere and not have it to write with for weeks or maybe months. Luckily I have 2 other Pelikans to keep me company while it's gone:) Although, I'm particularly attached to the ocean blue, for it was purchased in Venice.

Jay

Practically Family
Oh yeah I forgot. I got the Waterman Phileas for Christmas my only complaint is that for a medium point it writes kind of on the heavy side. My Schaefer has almost the same width nib but writes a lot thinner. I might have to get a finer one.

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
I just bought the Waterman Phileas, my first fountain pen,:D and I was nervous at spending only 42$ for a fountain pen, I'm of the opinion the you pay more for quality, but I was pleasantly surprised at how fine it is.

I can't wait to find reasons to write with it now, and it has been devoted to 'Special Things' status, like my journal or letter writing. Mine is just the straight Black, and now I'm looking for more pens:D

Daisy Buchanan

CanadaDoll said:
I just bought the Waterman Phileas, my first fountain pen,:D and I was nervous at spending only 42$ for a fountain pen, I'm of the opinion the you pay more for quality, but I was pleasantly surprised at how fine it is.

I can't wait to find reasons to write with it now, and it has been devoted to 'Special Things' status, like my journal or letter writing. Mine is just the straight Black, and now I'm looking for more pens:D

Congratulations on your first fountain pen! Watch out, they are addictive! My first one was a Phileas too. I bought it 2 years ago and it still writes quite nicely. There are lots of other fountain pens out there that are reasonably priced. If you do a search on ebay for Pelikan, you will find a lot. Their lower end lines, like the m200 can be as inexpensive as a Philieas, and it writes really well, one of my favorite pens.
Have fun!

moustache

Practically Family
Miss Neecerie said:
If you want another Phileas......buy now...

The fountain pen lovers rumour mill....says they are being discontinued.

The rumour is true.I have heard this from a few dealers close to the source.

JD

moustache

Practically Family
CanadaDoll said:
Thanks for the heads up on that I'll get cracking, I'd love a green one:)

I just gave away my green Phileas to my mother.Her puppy got a hold of hers and made it a mass of plastic.Delightful pen!!!

JD

Daisy Buchanan

Miss Neecerie said:
If you want another Phileas......buy now...

The fountain pen lovers rumour mill....says they are being discontinued.
I was wondering if that's what was going on. The fountain pen is getting harder and harder to find. They stopped carrying it at all the Staples here in Boston.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy