Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help ID Bundeswehr? Jacket

fish70

New in Town
Hello there. I just purchased a cheap jacket to wear while riding my bike. I have only seen photos of it so far but was advertised as a Bundeswehr flight jacket. It isn't the usual Luftwaffe grey leather jacket that one normally sees. Here is a link to a poor quality photo of it (provided by the seller.)

http://i.imgur.com/qcsnW4U.jpg

Any help IDing this is much appreciated. Thanks :)

el_gato

Familiar Face
Hello there. I just purchased a cheap jacket to wear while riding my bike. I have only seen photos of it so far but was advertised as a Bundeswehr flight jacket. It isn't the usual Luftwaffe grey leather jacket that one normally sees. Here is a link to a poor quality photo of it (provided by the seller.)

http://i.imgur.com/qcsnW4U.jpg

Any help IDing this is much appreciated. Thanks :)

Google turned up this (looks like that jacket to me?):

http://www.multi-board.com/board/in...HNSINN-in-der-Bucht/?postID=700955#post700955

If you follow the eBay link posted there, you'll get a description in german.

el_gato

Familiar Face
Thanks. I still haven't found one photo of a member of the German military wearing one.

According to the auction it has never been a regular issue jacket but has only been field tested in 1992. So you might never find a picture of that jacket being worn.

Big J

Call Me a Cab
During the cold war, Bundeswehr aircrew were all issued jacket like that AFAIK.
They used to be pretty common second hand.

havocpaul

One of the Regulars
Not sure it was ever an official issue either for the Air Force or Army, I have seen that description before saying it was a 'test' jacket but not convinced. However, a good cheap jacket for daily wear. I have several of the grey Luftwaffe jackets and they are very comfortable to wear and cheap enough to not worry about rough wear. I am still looking for one of the rarer 1950/60's ones that had different pocket layout and colour.

fish70

New in Town
I am not saying you are wrong about the jacket being a Chinese fake but I spent 15 years in or working with the U.S. military between the Air Force, Army, and working as a contractor and I am unaware of 99.9999% of the equipment that the U.S. government tried but did not adopt. If you specifically know that these types of jackets are fakes I bow to your knowledge. I don't mean to offend and appreciate the time you took to reply to my questions.

Regards,
Michael

Hello
I served for 22 years in the GAF, in all theaters Germany was involved. I have all regulation handbooks.
Nothing like that even in discussion to be adopted.
Again, cheap chinese made lookalike...No offence.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
I came across a German company that makes police and military clothing and equipment named Beckumer Leder-Bekleidungswerk GmbH. The screenshot below is from their website. It's a different design, obviously, but similar.

original_bundeswehr_fliegerjacke_214530_specs_b.jpg

Cooper A-2

Practically Family
Beckumer Lederwerke is an official BUND supplier...
The sorry ( not even) lookalike starting all this is just a fashion model made in China or any other cheapy place, surely nice looking for a Disco ride, but nothing for the issued clothing of the actual Luftwaffe.

Deacon211

One Too Many
So LJW, was there no grey leather flight jacket for the Luftwaffe?

I vaguely recall a former 737 instructor of mine who was GAF previously. He had some kind of grey leather jacket with a short knit collar and orange on the inside.

Was that issue? I also remember G+B selling something similar, but don't really know if this another example of "faux-authentic".

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Deacon211 said:
I vaguely recall a former 737 instructor of mine who was GAF previously. He had some kind of grey leather jacket with a short knit collar and orange on the inside.
German AF officer and Canadian Forces officer on U.S. airbase.

120209_F_ZG324_001_German_Air_Force_Lt_Col_Rud.jpg

German AF NCO on another U.S. airbase, must be an exchange thing.

091021_F_2039_L_115_Senior_Airman_Angelo_Zornem.jpg

They look like rather nice jackets, if you don't mind grey. Here's a seller on e-Bay:
http://www.ebay.de/itm/321681233739...49&var=510584962336&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Last edited:

Otter

One Too Many
I remember seeing big racks of those for sale in a Surplus shop in Glasgow back in the '80s. Looked a God jacket, I bought a pair of the matching gloves. They had a press stud and band closure across the back , lasted me for years.

Edward

Bartender
I remember seeing the odd one in surplus shops in Belfast too - usually beside a much longer rack of MA1s. Sloan said a while back that he had one of these in his university days, if memory serves. I've never seen onel ike the one in the OP, but the type with the knits I have. I seem to remember an orange liner, too - if memory isn't playing tricks, it was a sort of satiny feel, bit of a heft to it, not like the matte poly in the MA1s of the period... darker, redder orange colour.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic