Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help ID this leather A2-ish jacket?

lucky23

One of the Regulars
After one too many single malts, I made this impulse purchase last night:

Its looks like a cross between an A2 and a center zip motorcycle jacket? It has a Talon zipper and is black. Im assuming it's a 60s/70s judging by the wide collar, although Ive seen some 30s/40s coats with similar large collars. Something about it spoke to me, so I paid the $50 for it and am hoping for the best! Ill post some pix of me wearing it when it arrives this week. Any info would be great! Oh yeah, I bought this one too the same night, a Sears G2:

I need to be stopped:)

fukigen

Familiar Face
looks like a Schott IS-674-MS, they were produced mid-70's until end 80's.
if it is a Schott, you should find a small label inside the pocket that could help identifying it.

lucky23

One of the Regulars
looks like a Schott IS-674-MS, they were produced mid-70's until end 80's.
if it is a Schott, you should find a small label inside the pocket that could help identifying it.
Thanks fukigen! I researched for HOURS on the web when I bought it and I couldn't find another Schott like this one. Mine has a black nylon liner and apparently had a zip in liner and snap-on fur collar? Most of the Schott jackets I saw had a green liner, brass hardware and had buttons with "Schott" stamped on them...

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
So that means it's probably a newer model. I had a 674 (bought it circa 1983) and at the time it came in two distinct models: fur collar with white pile interior, or plain collar with quilted interior. The removable collar and liner "4-in-1" design came later.

Another difference: my old Schott had a 2-piece back (with a horizontal seam across the shoulder blades) and multiple-piece arms (with an odd, small triangular piece-connection to the back). The newer ones have a half-belt back, similar to a G-1.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
I had something similar, detachable synthetic collar, removable fur lining. Mine was made by Kudsak, a French leather company hanging on to the Top Gun coat tails of aviation jackets based on A2s and G1s.
large one piece back but with action pleats at shoulders, though without the elastic as in the original G1, hand warmer pockets behind the standard press stud flaps.
Very good quality, I bought mine in 1986 for £200 so $50 would be a bargain if in good nick. Sorry, never did have a pic wearing it.

lucky23

One of the Regulars
Got the jacket in the mail today. Man, for $50 it sure is a peach! Fits great and is pretty hefty leather. I still have no clue as to who the manufacturer is...

lucky23

One of the Regulars
There's the G-1 style back, which my 80s Schott bomber didn't have. But it looks identical to the 4-in-1 naked cowhide jackets Schott has been making since the 90s. If you say that the snaps don't say Schott, I'm thinking maybe they made it to be sold under a different label?

Their current version of the model:

https://www.schottnyc.com/products/a-2-naked-cowhide-leather-flight.htm?catID=46
It sure is DAMN close. I wonder when they started manufacturing the 4-in-1?

lucky23

One of the Regulars
Never mind, I found out it's from the early 80s, if anyone is interested. The leather is THICK and stiff, Im thinking horsehide possibly? Im a bit obsessive about this kind of stuff:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
farmerboy