Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help Identifying Grandfathers Jacket

AmericanIron

One of the Regulars
Hey guys, been a long time since I’ve posted on here but I have had a jacket from my grandfather in a box of items of his down in my basement that I recently rediscovered and I can’t seem to find any information out about it.

I’ve included some photos of it, if it helps any he was in the US Navy and the jacket appears (to me at least) to be a military garment. Anything you can tell me about it would be greatly appreciated, I happen to be the same size as he was so the jacket fits me perfectly.

It’s roughly 40” long, has an unzippable center hood which folds down and buttons to the neck area creating a furry stand up collar that covers your ears or can be double folded to lay flat like a lapel. Very cool design.

Has side entry mid chest pockets and some lower slit pockets as well. Appears to be synthetic filling throughout the body, storm cuffs in the sleeves. Jacket exterior feels like a smooth cotton. There are no tags I can find on the jacket.
EC556128-658A-4EE0-9041-3602825BDCD8.jpeg
1B6D789E-0EE8-461F-A936-B8DD571A1CAE.jpeg
0595D9FD-7F15-42DE-A3A7-C2641E3286C7.jpeg
7EBE8095-E11B-4026-8FF9-0A96D241A864.jpeg
CC224F5E-DA82-44BA-8D85-53B368C1763A.jpeg
D387B555-1616-4397-8BB5-6F7E96E8A70E.jpeg

Peacoat

Bartender
Looks like an exceptionally warm parka. It might be helpful if we knew which years your grandfather was in the Navy, although I don't think this is Navy. I have researched Naval clothing regulations from 1940s back to the late 1800s, and haven't come across anything like this. But let us know the years he was in the Navy to narrow it down.

And we have discussed the AF cold weather parkas in multiple threads, without any mention of this parka. But I do agree that is looks like a military parka.

AmericanIron

One of the Regulars
Thank you guys so much for the replies!

I spoke to my family who said he was in the Navy from 1943-1946 when he was moved to inactive service.

I think blackadder is right, that jacket looks absolutely identical. The USAF B-9. Being that he wasn’t in the Air Force it must have been something he bought separately.

really appreciate your help with this guys!

Peacoat

Bartender
Kuddos to Blackadder for making the connection. I wonder why the B-9 hasn't gotten any traction on this forum?

Your grandfather's Parka looks like it is issued.

AmericanIron

One of the Regulars
Agreed, after having the model name I did some research and it seems like the military versions were down filled with satin lining and had single piece hoods. The split hood and synthetic insulation came after, so this is probably something he bought separately. From where I couldn’t say.

I actually think the split hood is the coolest part of this jacket, often times hoods are either in use or in the way, or so it has been in my experience. The fact that you can unzip and button it down to form a very tall collar is super cool because the collar is something that’s always useful and being two layers of mouton fur it really blocks your neck and ears from the elements.

The one thing I did notice about this particular one is it seems longer than others I see online. It’s about 41” long, hits at my knee when worn. Some of the others online appear to be just below the waist in length, if you use the sleeve cuffs as a reference for length you’ll see what I mean.

An awesome jacket for sure.

Edward

Bartender
The split hood may have been inspired by the USAAF / USAF N2A / N2A / N2B - I believe the idea there was to stop the hood fouling a flying harness or bunching uncomfortably between pilot and seat. Does lie flat nicely when unzipped.

AmericanIron

One of the Regulars
Totally agree, if you’re not actively wearing it, a hood is always in the way haha.

I did notice something else which researching this and that is that the Air Force didn’t become an independent branch of the US Armed Forces until 1947. So there is a chance that perhaps this wasn’t an Air Force jacket at all, but an armed forces jacket that could have been issued to the Army (the earlier version that is, with the one piece hood). Or maybe as you mentioned the US Armed Air Forces USAAF

I suppose with this particular jacket it’s not relevant though as it appears not to be an issued model

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GokhanB